• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

kaopad999

SMSL A300 the highs are clearer and more refined, it is more detailed as a sound, and the lows are full-bodied, fast and precise, The highs of the marantz PM7000N are dirty, the PM6007 in the highs sounds better than the PM7000N and has a loudness effect that I like, but anyway in the end i kept SMSL A300, the sound seems more real and refined than the 2 marantz i had.
Sounds Good, i may order one. But then there is also the SMSL Da9 and the SMSL ao200. I wonder if they are as good as the A300?

Romario

i agree the subwoofer cutoff at 50hz (!!!???) is kind if strange... they should have made it variable in 5hz intervals from 40-100hz??? yes?

but again, this is a 'free' feature that i dont take seriously like the BT connection
The filters are ok, but I would like to turn it down. I don't think it's a free feauture because I bought this one especialy for this 2.1 set-up. But yeah, it works but it would be nice to regulate the volume seperately from the mains. Maybe I can find an eq setting that will do the job.

kaopad999

i agree the subwoofer cutoff at 50hz (!!!???) is kind if strange... they should have made it variable in 5hz intervals from 40-100hz??? yes?

but again, this is a 'free' feature that i dont take seriously like the BT connection
The sub-out cut off Freq is 100Hz

202206021350531982.jpg

Last edited:

jovy1

I don’t think that this is correct but it really doesn’t say on the SMSL Website.
currently in the process of returning the a300 as it sound gets really muddy and lose musicality vs the pa3s. thought it was gonna be an upgrade. using a cd player via coax on smsl d300 and vintage french reference 3a decapo speakrers

Bleib

Major Contributor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

we are not left wanting for a lack of lower priced DACs from China

i seriously dont know what the product planners at these companies do when upper management seems to just want to release so many dacs at such a similar price point they compete with themselves

it was like back in the 1990s when Nissan had *THREE* different sports cars to choose from

why?

i would prefer the D6 as it has a volume control

tom_tom

i would prefer the D6 as it has a volume control
I'm considering exactly D-6 for A300. What bugs me is that remote is the same, so I'm not sure if volume control will be set on only one device

In that review it's showed from 3:28

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ahh amazingly Chinese functional fault

cant buy a stack of SMSL stuff because they all use the same remote and remote codes

it has its pluses and minuses... if you lose it then who cares as they're cheap due to the commonality

but how are you supposed to reaslitically use a smsl dac /w smsl amp if the remotes are functionally inoperable due to this

you are pretty much forced to buy a non smsl dac if you're hell bent on using the remote... or use some tape on one of the sensors, you choose which device to 'disable'

this is one of those things that smsl should add to the menu... disable remote... or they should have come up with a small cable that allows you to chain them up

Toku

Major Contributor
ahh amazingly Chinese functional fault

cant buy a stack of SMSL stuff because they all use the same remote and remote codes

it has its pluses and minuses... if you lose it then who cares as they're cheap due to the commonality

but how are you supposed to reaslitically use a smsl dac /w smsl amp if the remotes are functionally inoperable due to this

you are pretty much forced to buy a non smsl dac if you're hell bent on using the remote... or use some tape on one of the sensors, you choose which device to 'disable'

this is one of those things that smsl should add to the menu... disable remote... or they should have come up with a small cable that allows you to chain them up
Recently SMSL changed the remote control from the previous model.
The previous remote control had an A/B/C switch button, and I was able to switch the operation target between DAC/AMP/Other using this button.
In the new remote control, the A/B/C buttons have been abolished and it has become a specification that can be used in common for all products.
As a result, as you said, it became very difficult to use.
The reason we changed the remote control was that many users who purchased the product complained that the remote control did not work because they did not understand the functions of the A/B/C buttons on the remote control.
Topping's products also have the same problem in using because the remote control is common for all products.

tom_tom

There is a new SK10 from SMSL that would be great but remote looks exactly the same.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
interesting dac

some oddness like how its powereed by type A... and the usb input is also a type A... but then to a300 owners this isnt anything surprising

it has the same operating system as the a300 and it lacks a vol. knob but it does have the same dig. vol. ctrl. as the a300, similar filters

the double type A to type A... on both power and usb input really grinds my gears

and the box format flat out does not match the a300

but at $139 for an akm 4490 series dac... hard to complain

put it into an a300 box and make it use the vol. knob and switch to type c and we got a real winner there

the alternative is the d300 rohm model but its $350!

Romario

I recently added a better subwoofer to this a300 and I noticed that eq 0 doesn't engage the High pass filter (HF1). If I switch to E1 with treble and bass on 0 and HF1 the frequency response is somewhat different in the bass section.
So, E0 is a pure direct mode, right? Could someone confirm?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Currently at slightly lower price

Bleib

Major Contributor

Romario

I think you want to change hf0 to hf1 to engage the fixed hi pass. Let us know if you find this useful, as I'm debating this amp vs a pa3s or ao200 which have balanced inputs, but no sw out or hi pass
Well, the manual states a 50 Hz cut off and the graphs show a 100 Hz measurement. I just fumbled with the frequency on the sub ( settings range from 40-160) while HF1 engaged. HF1 is closer to 50 than 100 Hz in my quick test.
It's convenient for me because later this evening I will turn on HF1 to reduce the bass extention ( and thus volume). I think the neighbours will appreciate it.

ampguy

Anyone experience hiss with their a300? That would be a deal killer for me, if I couldn't immediately return it.

Top Bottom