• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the 'problem' with BTL mode is that you sorta need a preamp upstream of the two A300s... it seems the 2 seperate vol. ctrl. cant really be used practically as they are more trim pots.

also some people are saying you get more power (of course) but SQ is about the same (of course?)

Toku

Major Contributor
the 'problem' with BTL mode is that you sorta need a preamp upstream of the two A300s... it seems the 2 seperate vol. ctrl. cant really be used practically as they are more trim pots.

also some people are saying you get more power (of course) but SQ is about the same (of course?)
The master-slave scheme proposed by SMSL is very problematic to use.
However, there is no such thing in the dual monaural system.
For example, if you connect the DAC in pre-mode, you can use it comfortably.

The expression that the power goes up is not appropriate, but it will enable a larger output.

robertospeed

I have an SMSL HO200 which acts as a preamp and it is great, so if I bought another A300, I will use HO200 as a preamp

DriedFartz

I don't know how the A300/A20a 2022 achieved low noise levels, but I don't think there's any noise worry about the SMSL A300/Sabaj A20a 2022.
Hi @Toku , according to you which is a better engineered product, the A300 or the A20a?

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi @Toku , according to you which is a better engineered product, the A300 or the A20a?
There is little difference in sound quality between the A20a 2022 and the A300. But my preference is A20a 2022. I especially like the design and appearance quality of this one. The A300 is a cost-saving design and generally crappy.
However, as reported in #284 above, A20a 2022 has found abnormal behavior in the power-on sequence and has just reported it to Sabaj. There are 4 reports including mine.
So if you buy now, I recommend the A300.

DriedFartz

There is little difference in sound quality between the A20a 2022 and the A300. But my preference is A20a 2022. I especially like the design and appearance quality of this one. The A300 is a cost-saving design and generally crappy.
However, as reported in #284 above, A20a 2022 has found abnormal behavior in the power-on sequence and has just reported it to Sabaj. There are 4 reports including mine.
So if you buy now, I recommend the A300.
That's a shame. I really liked the design of the A20a. Looked solid; looks wise of course!

antcollinet

Master Contributor

You mean just the problem with master slave mode?

nsfgp

Not accurate comments. A300 has digital volume control that works great as a volume control (better than analog pot in many ways). Of course you can use it as either a volume control OR trim pot when you run it in whatever mode. As long as the 2 X A300 are close enough together one remote can control volume on both unit. And trim pot or not you have a digital volume setting number to adhere to/adjust to without fuzz/guess work.

On the Sabaj yeah you have a trim pot - a trim pot that after you trimmed perfectly balanced between L/R and some itchy fingers decided to rotate that knob a little without your permission. What do you do ... yeah it is off and you trim it again. Stick some tape/small dot/nail polish as a trim position marking sure you can do that ... enhance the look further may be.
No remote/fancy LPF for only passive sub that noone uses/One input only for stereo mode. All are cons.

But anyway the $150 A300 bangwagon seems to be over now since yesterday. It is $195 now from SMSL official store.

Toku

Major Contributor
You mean just the problem with master slave mode?
The A20a 2022 power switch issue has nothing to do with the BTL connection.
Normally, when the power switch is turned on, the delay circuit operates and it turns on after 2 to 3 seconds, but this delay circuit does not operate and the power does not turn on.
It works fine for a while after purchase, but one day it suddenly won't turn on.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
The A20a 2022 power switch issue has nothing to do with the BTL connection.
Normally, when the power switch is turned on, the delay circuit operates and it turns on after 2 to 3 seconds, but this delay circuit does not operate and the power does not turn on.
It works fine for a while after purchase, but one day it suddenly won't turn on.
Ouch - that is not good (I didn't see reference to that in your post #284)

Toku

Major Contributor
Ouch - that is not good (I didn't see reference to that in your post #284)
Once symptoms occur, there is no recovery. So I think something is broken.
I love this A20a 2022, so I want it to be improved as soon as possible.

bruner11

Hello, can I connect SMSL A300 with avr as pre out? Sholud I change somethink in smsl's settings oraz just plug cable from avr's pre out to smsl Line In 1 oraz 2? Thanks

nsfgp

Hello, can I connect SMSL A300 with avr as pre out? Sholud I change somethink in smsl's settings oraz just plug cable from avr's pre out to smsl Line In 1 oraz 2? Thanks
Yes. Nothing to change in menu. Just plug in RCA and find the volume settings on both units you want to settle on/control.

ftiziatr

hello. I bought an smsl a300 yesterday. Before that, I owned a denon 600ne. 45 wat x2 . I always listened at 9-10 o'clock. But in smsl 85 wat and I set the volume to 30, this is half of the volume. So it turns out smsl is weaker?? Or I don't understand something. If someone helps me figure it out, I will be very grateful. It sounds great, but I'm worried that I was deceived. I apologize in advance for my English.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
You don't understand something. Most likely the gain of the A300 is lower than the Denon. If so, then it would need a higher input voltage to drive it to full power.

What is the source driving the amp?

EDIT - input sensitivity Denon is 110mv, compared with 280mV for the SMSL. So the denon will give full power (40W) at 110mV, whereas the SMSL will give it's 80W at 280mV (8dB higher) since the double power is +3dB, then at the same input voltage, the A300 will give -5dB power compared with the Denon, so about 1/3 the power at the same input voltage.

Also bear in mind that the A300 80W is specified at 10%THD, whereas the denon is at 0.07%THD - so to get that extra power it has to be driven far further into clipping - it is not a like for like comparison. At low distortion (no clipping) it is more like 40W

Last edited:

Kitarist

There is another bug with this amp. When you switch inputs and go back to bluetooth you can get crackling and popping sounds while the music is playing. But if you turn it off and turn it on again its fine. Also Displays shows C instead of E if you change EQ it with remote.

Toku

Major Contributor
There is another bug with this amp. When you switch inputs and go back to bluetooth you can get crackling and popping sounds while the music is playing. But if you turn it off and turn it on again its fine. Also Displays shows C instead of E if you change EQ it with remote.
As soon as I read your post I tested it on my A300 and BT has no such symptoms. It works fine.

I reported early on that the display was missing segments of characters. This symptom occurs on all displays.

Top Bottom