• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Kitarist

Does the NW1194 volume controller still work in logarithmic way? So basicly when its at half (30) it gives around 10% output?

iu

Does the NW1194 volume controller still work in logarithmic way? So basicly when its at half (30) it gives around 10% output?
On the A20a-2019 it is linear. On the SMSL AS300 it is linear. I do not own the SMSL A300, but strongly assume it is the same, since all these amps use the same controller and go from -0db to 60db.

Kitarist

On the A20a-2019 it is linear. On the SMSL AS300 it is linear. I do not own the SMSL A300, but strongly assume it is the same, since all these amps use the same controller and go from -0db to 60db.
Hmm but i get around 85db when i'm on 30 35 volume on A300 with 85db sensitivity speakers.

Kitarist

Basicly just did measurements again with db meter i get like 75db on 40 volume. So in theory its not even outputting 1 watt at 40 volume ? Is possible my drivers are so hard to drive? I have Fullrange Markaudio Pluvia 7HD

Last edited:
Are you using the internal DAC of the A300? If so try putting an external DAC to it to see if it's the DAC causing lower volume/gain than expected.

Kitarist

Yes i'm using the internal DAC, also tried bluetooth and line in both same thing :) Also i think the volume on amp works as LOG when you increase it.

Toku

Major Contributor
Are you using the internal DAC of the A300? If so try putting an external DAC to it to see if it's the DAC causing lower volume/gain than expected.
The A300's USB input is a simple bonus function that uses the DAC function of the BT module. This is the same method as AO200.
The USB input sampling rate is fixed at 48kHz 16bit, and the input level is about 6dB lower than RCA.

Kitarist

The A300's USB input is a simple bonus function that uses the DAC function of the BT module. This is the same method as AO200.
The USB input sampling rate is fixed at 48kHz 16bit, and the input level is about 6dB lower than RCA.
So the bluetooth also is 6db lower than RCA?

Toku

Major Contributor
So the bluetooth also is 6db lower than RCA?
BT and RCA levels are the same.
I think that the reason why the level does not match with USB is that the level cannot be easily adjusted because the DAC function of the BT module is used.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Just to clarify... 85w is basically at untenable THD? Like 5-10%?

At realistic THD say... 0.05% is power still at say 75w? less?

keenerz

for those using the master-slave mode how do you balance these things. I just setup two of them in BTL mode just trying to balance them out is little tricky, I have the right one set like 6(db?) higher than the left one.

edit: gonna experiment with two separate "left" channels

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
for those using the master-slave mode how do you balance these things. I just setup two of them in BTL mode just trying to balance them out is little tricky, I have the right one set like 6(db?) higher than the left one.

Please read my report on page 3. I've posted a few about BTL connections.

nsfgp

Yes please try both Master-Slave method(Using BTL-R loop back RCA R-ch out to slave) and direct-BTL (L-ch only on both) mode.
6 steps on the volume is significant.
In your Master-Slave setup => have you tried swapping the 2 unit (old master becomes new slave while keeping all source settings the same) and does the R-ch becomes the louder channel??

Top Bottom