• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Bleib

Major Contributor

Toku

Major Contributor
What are the supported Bluetooth codecs?
I think that the corresponding codecs were only SBC and AAC like AO200, and there was no APTX. If so, SMSL will make it clear and advertise it.
The BT of the SMSL amplifier is a bonus function, and the BT with an advanced codec is installed in the DAC.

RndJeff

I think that the corresponding codecs were only SBC and AAC like AO200, and there was no APTX. If so, SMSL will make it clear and advertise it.
The BT of the SMSL amplifier is a bonus function, and the BT with an advanced codec is installed in the DAC.
With just SBC & AAC and 80 watts at 8 ohms, if it measure wells, it would be 4 times cheaper than the Rotel A11 Tribute or 8 times cheaper than the Rotel A14 mkii! (Both of which I have been eyeing for the reviews and 5 year warranty.)

longma

I got the amp from Amazon US for a couple of days. It is my 1st Class D amp. I have read a lot of good reviews of SMSL DA9, SMDL AO2000, Sabaj 20a that are used Infinion chip. This one is just released in June, different Infinion chip and has more power.

Do we need to break in the amp? What is the volume should i set for the amp? Is 60 max? It seems it has a lot of power. Right now i set the amp @56 and my Oppo 205 @ 15 ( for Oppo 205, max is 100 and i never go more than 45 with my old amp), and it sounds loud enough for me. Btw my speakers are Infinity 363. My plan to buy is to drive the JBL530. Definitely i dont think i need 2 to drive my speakers.

Initial listening impression is good, but i feel i miss the depth of the soundstage, in compare to my old amp (Nuforce STA2000 that gets very bad review and measurements here). Anyone geys the same impressions?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do we need to break in the amp?
No break-in required. It will be in tip top shape when new.
i feel i miss the depth of the soundstage, in compare to my old amp (Nuforce STA2000 that gets very bad review and measurements here). Anyone geys the same impressions?
Do a blind listening test comparison.

Toku

Major Contributor
I got the amp from Amazon US for a couple of days. It is my 1st Class D amp. I have read a lot of good reviews of SMSL DA9, SMDL AO2000, Sabaj 20a that are used Infinion chip. This one is just released in June, different Infinion chip and has more power.

Do we need to break in the amp? What is the volume should i set for the amp? Is 60 max? It seems it has a lot of power. Right now i set the amp @56 and my Oppo 205 @ 15 ( for Oppo 205, max is 100 and i never go more than 45 with my old amp), and it sounds loud enough for me. Btw my speakers are Infinity 363. My plan to buy is to drive the JBL530. Definitely i dont think i need 2 to drive my speakers.

Initial listening impression is good, but i feel i miss the depth of the soundstage, in compare to my old amp (Nuforce STA2000 that gets very bad review and measurements here). Anyone geys the same impressions?
If you want a deeper sound, try turning on the EQ SDB.

OP
SMSL-Mandy

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
There are prime days sale on the a300 now, don't missed the discount.

robertospeed

There are prime days sale on the a300 now, don't missed the discount.
I bought an SMSL A300 on Amazon Italy on June 27, 2022, but unfortunately they were not available, and I'm still waiting for Amazon to ship my order, today maybe they send me the order because the product is available again, I don't know if it's on Amazon wrote with you, if this SMSL A300 is really good and sounds like my SMSL AO200 but with more power, I will give you a nice review on Amazon Italy. And then I will also buy another one to connect in BTL

longma

Thank you for all the replies. It is nice to know the A300 sounds as good as AO2000 with more power. I will try SDB. BTW, i got mine last week at $150. It is insane for the price. It is back $195 now.

ca1075

I tried a master-slave connection, but it is difficult to control the volume. The interlocking operation is strange and I can't understand it well. I feel that the sound quality is not good either.

After all, I stopped the master-slave method that uses the BTL-R output and used the two A300s as independent BTL operations.

procedure
1. Turn off the power switch on the back of the two A300s.
Disconnect the BTL-R connection cable. There is no change in the speaker connection. Is the same.

2. Connect the R-ch of the audio output cable from the DAC etc. to the L-ch of IN1 of the first A300, and connect the L-ch to the L-ch of IN1 of the second A300.
If there are other connected devices, connect them to IN2 L-ch in the same way.

3. Turn on the power of the two A300s.

4. Set the amplifier operation to br1 in BTL mode.

5. Set the input mode to IN1.

6. Set the volume to the same level for both units. Subsequent adjustments are operated with the remote control.
The response of the remote control is good, and the volume of the two A300s and the items in the MENU work smoothly in tandem. It is very comfortable to be able to set two A300s at the same time with one remote control operation. Of course, the power can be turned on and off at the same time with the remote control.
Of course, BT and USB cannot be used in BTL mode.
Do you notice in BTL mode one channel playing slightly louder ? My left channel was noticeably louder playing through my speakers. About 3-4 db approx. I used a db meter to test it. I has to turn the volume 4 steps / notches louder on the volume control for the right channel.

Zek

Major Contributor
Do you notice in BTL mode one channel playing slightly louder ?
When the A300 is in BTL mode, it is only used for one channel.
I don't know how you put it all together. o_O
You cannot use the A300 as a stereo (2 channel) amplifier in BTL mode.

Toku

Major Contributor
Do you notice in BTL mode one channel playing slightly louder ? My left channel was noticeably louder playing through my speakers. About 3-4 db approx. I used a db meter to test it. I has to turn the volume 4 steps / notches louder on the volume control for the right channel.
Are you using SMSL's Master-slave method?

I first set the BTL method with the Master-slave method, but after I was wondering about the volume control, I changed the R-ch L-ch that does not use the BTL-R to an independent method.
The setting method is as follows.

ca1075

Are you using SMSL's Master-slave method?

I first set the BTL method with the Master-slave method, but after I was wondering about the volume control, I changed the R-ch L-ch that does not use the BTL-R to an independent method.
The setting method is as follows.
I switched back to the BTL Master-slave method and everything is working ok now. I hooked it up to a dedicated preamp and use that for the volume control as the volume control in BTL mode when using A300 is a little wonky.

Toku

Major Contributor
I switched back to the BTL Master-slave method and everything is working ok now. I hooked it up to a dedicated preamp and use that for the volume control as the volume control in BTL mode when using A300 is a little wonky.
I still don't fully understand how the A300 works in BTL mode, but I think it's better to adjust the volume control on the connected external device.

robertospeed

can you tell me what kind of preamp do you use?

nsfgp

Sounds really strange. You mean your volume issue happened only when in Independent BTL mode?? And is back to normal when in Master-Slave BTL Mode??
When using Independent BTL mode => does the louder volume always happens with the same amp unit? You said louder left-channel (the master unit).
What happen if you reverse the 2 units (swap R-ch unit to be the L-Ch unit) => does it now show louder volume in the R-CH now??

When in Master-Slave BTL mode (no issue) => Both A300 units has the same volume settings?? Max 60?? And the Preamp balance control is centered(if any)??

Personally I feel the Master-Slave BTL mode is kinda odd and less clean connection wise; need an extra interconnect too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom