• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

ca1075

Then I will be able to tell you when I have this SMSL A300 on hand if I feel any difference
Yes please do. I had them both hooked up just now to try it again and the A300 has just a little more power in my opinion. If I blindly A/B tested them I’m not sure if I would be able to pick one out vs the other. Again my ears may not be as good as yours lol.

Kikon

Yes please do. I had them both hooked up just now to try it again and the A300 has just a little more power in my opinion. If I blindly A/B tested them I’m not sure if I would be able to pick one out vs the other. Again my ears may not be as good as yours lol.
Apart from loudness, do notice any difference in sound quality?

ca1075

No I don’t to be honest with you. Only when I use 2 A300’s in bridged mono configuration I hear more of a difference. This should be expected and isn’t a fair comparison but 2 A300’s for under $400 rivals my $1800 peachtree nova 300. It’s really that close of a comparison.

Kikon

No I don’t to be honest with you. Only when I use 2 A300’s in bridged mono configuration I hear more of a difference. This should be expected and isn’t a fair comparison but 2 A300’s for under $400 rivals my $1800 peachtree nova 300. It’s really that close of a comparison.
Thanks! I'm hesitant in buying the second unit now or wait until I conclude the rest of my project , but I can't say the risk is much...

Hertel

Eu sei que as especificações declaradas mostram que ele tem muito mais poder, mas eu realmente não noto muita diferença. Somente quando tenho 2 A300 em configuração monobloco é que realmente percebo mais.
This is natural and stems from how human hearing works. If you double the power of an amplifier it will be perceived as an increase of only 3db. To add another 3db you will have to double the power again, needing a 4x stronger amplifier. Therefore, for small increases in audio volume, much more power from the amplifier is always required.

The positive side is that with only 1w the speakers already deliver 86db, 90db and etc., depending on your sensitivity. My Klipsch RF-7II has 92db. So with 1w it plays with this intensity, being necessary 2w to play at 95db. 4w to 98db. 8w to 101db. 16w to 104db. 32w to 107db. 64w to 110db and so on.

My English is bad. I used the translator

nsfgp

Does your A300 comes with a USB A male to A male cable?? If yes how long is it?? Thanks!!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Thanks! I'm hesitant in buying the second unit now or wait until I conclude the rest of my project , but I can't say the risk is much...

At the rate that Smsl releases and discontinues their products you might have something else available in just a couple of weeks anyway.

Toku

Major Contributor
You all seem to be concerned about the price difference between the AO200 and A300, right?
The A300 is made with a considerable cost reduction in the amplifier case, display, and power supply unit. Maybe if you make the A300 with the same quality as the AO200, the price will be the same. Compared to the DA-9, the AO200 has a more luxurious amp case, and the difference is reflected in the price.
If Japanese manufacturers manufacture and sell these products, the price will be tripled.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Notice too that AO200 is balanced and has two sub-outputs

It'd be great to have them both measured

ToriCatcher

Do you know how it compares to aiyima 07 in power?

The stated numbers seem a bit off by the thd chart, as it shoots up after about have of the spec wattage.

Does Amir plan to review it?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You all seem to be concerned about the price difference between the AO200 and A300, right?
The A300 is made with a considerable cost reduction in the amplifier case, display, and power supply unit. Maybe if you make the A300 with the same quality as the AO200, the price will be the same. Compared to the DA-9, the AO200 has a more luxurious amp case, and the difference is reflected in the price.
If Japanese manufacturers manufacture and sell these products, the price will be tripled.

They should have just done that. Release the A300 as a premium version with the quality of the AO200.

It would still be cheap enough even if someone needs 2 of them.

regan

Can this be run without a dac? The way aiyima d03 can

Bleib

Major Contributor

Bleib

Major Contributor
There is no information about USB as a source (which DAC chip, which resolution, etc.).
Yeah, poor documentation. But connecting the PC to the USB port works. It doesn't however sound as good as my soundcard or any of the DACs I have..

Toku

Major Contributor
There is no information about USB as a source (which DAC chip, which resolution, etc.).
USB of A300 is a simple one using the D/A converter function of the BT module. You can connect it directly to a PC without a DAC, but you cannot expect the sound quality of using a dedicated DAC. I think the connection was 48kHz/16bit.

Top Bottom