• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A300 has a USB DAC and Bluetooth inputs, however, the manual doesn't mention if these inputs can be used in BTL mode or if their right channel is passed out the BTL-R connection.
i am surprised they even have a manual in the first place so i guess that is progress.
I went ahead an ordered one. If not already known, after i get mine i will do some testing and come back to post
Thanks

Hertel

Hello everybody

Ask me if in bridge mode the SMSLS A300 would be a good replacement for an Emotiva XPA-2 with 250W per channel at 8ohm

Two SMSL A300 would have the two subwoofer outputs I need. I just don't know if I have all the dynamics that Emotiva has. Perhaps they represent a general gain in quality. Looking forward to measurements or at least subgetive assessments of quality.

Sorry for my bad english

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got mine (freaking amazing delivery speed ... 3 days from china to my door) and i can say, for what i am using it for I am as happy as a pig in #$@#.
Their weird lp and hp xover implementation (one of the main reasons i purchased) actually is ok. It works. Clearly not as good as an avr or other minidsp type xcrossover options but this is out on my patio and will subjected an inhospitable environment (heat, humidity and wild temp swings) so cost is very important as i expect to have to replace every couple of years.
I was concerned with not having enough power and expecting to have to buy another and use its btl capabilities as my speakers are inefficient but i am running the output (per amp readout) at 20 and its plenty loud. It became unbearably loud at 40 and beyond that is when distortion became evident.
For my use case and considering the cost of what it replaced, i couldnt be more pleased.
Based upon prior experience, I promised myself never to buy from SMSL again. But i relented and as of now (who knows what gremlins will be found as it always seems SMSL has) the risk was worth it.

shpong

Internal photo of SMSL A300

Attachments

• 20220617_185716.jpg
    20220617_185716.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 8,952
  • 20220617_203542.jpg
    20220617_203542.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 2,043
  • 20220617_185641.jpg
    20220617_185641.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 9,289
Last edited:

shpong

Regulated switching power supply +- 34.5v (Rubycon YXJ 50v1000uF)
+5v.regulator AMS1117-5 , -5v.regulator 79L05 supply all 3 op-amp (2*TL072C,1*OPA1678) and NJW1194
coupling input capacitor Nichicon wz 22uF35v should be replaced by better cap.

Hertel

Atualmente tenho um SMSL AO200 e gosto muito, gostaria muito de experimentar este SMSL A300 e talvez fazer uma boa resenha no meu canal do youtube também, estou esperando que seja vendido na Amazon Itália
Comprei o SMSL SP200. Como moro do outro lado do mundo (Brasil), demora no mínimo 20 dias para chegar.

Aguardo ansiosamente sua comparação entre o AO200 e o A300. Se o segundo funcionar bem, provavelmente comprarei dois para usar com minha Klipsch RF7II.

Kikon

Received my A300 a few days ago from hi-fi cat, but didn't have time to set it and listen yet, any first impressions from the lucky ones that have time left from work? My plan is to use it with my DIY monitors and a pair of subs that I need time to finish......

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
To the ones who already has the A300. How does the volume knob feel? Is it good to use? Thanks

Toku

Major Contributor
To the ones who already has the A300. How does the volume knob feel? Is it good to use? Thanks
The A300 uses a rotary encoder instead of a volume pot. So when you turn the knob, you will feel a little click. I just ordered it and haven't actually operated it yet.
The structure of this part is the same as the D300, and I have heard reports that the gap between the knob and the panel is very narrow and it rubs against the panel when the knob is turned. Therefore, it seems better to use the remote control for operation.

robertospeed

The A300 uses a rotary encoder instead of a volume pot. So when you turn the knob, you will feel a little click. I just ordered it and haven't actually operated it yet.
The structure of this part is the same as the D300, and I have heard reports that the gap between the knob and the panel is very narrow and it rubs against the panel when the knob is turned. Therefore, it seems better to use the remote control for operation.
:oops: Noooooooo , what the hell volume knob do they do ?

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
Thanks and good to know. A well feeling volume knob is half the experience. I e. g. love the knob of the RME adi-2 dac,which I guess is also an encoder but well made.

LDvo

Just wondering, If SMSL recently released A100 and A300 - when A200 will be released and with what feature set?

Toku

Major Contributor
:oops: Noooooooo , what the hell volume knob do they do ?
In addition to adjusting the volume, the volume knob expands the item selected with the MENU button to more detailed items and raises or lowers the set value.
I think the same operation can be done with the remote control.
My A300 will arrive tomorrow so I will test it as soon as I receive it.

Kikon

In addition to adjusting the volume, the volume knob expands the item selected with the MENU button to more detailed items and raises or lowers the set value.
I think the same operation can be done with the remote control.
My A300 will arrive tomorrow so I will test it as soon as I receive it.
Had my first, short listen to the a300, knob feels OK, but it's easier to work with the remote. First minute impressions, clean, very decent bass, good channel separation, a bit cold on higts, but thats only first few minutes in direct mode (I'm with covid right now and that all i could stand, yesterday), now, today I'm going to let it on, playing for some hours and then listen again, try all the settings and so on.. But first impressions were positive! Looking forward to see if someone posts measurements!

robertospeed

Had my first, short listen to the a300, knob feels OK, but it's easier to work with the remote. First minute impressions, clean, very decent bass, good channel separation, a bit cold on higts, but thats only first few minutes in direct mode (I'm with covid right now and that all i could stand, yesterday), now, today I'm going to let it on, playing for some hours and then listen again, try all the settings and so on.. But first impressions were positive! Looking forward to see if someone posts measurements!
I currently have an SMSL AO200, SMSL A300 should arrive on Saturday, let's see if it sounds good and if it is more powerful than AO200.

Kikon

I currently have an SMSL AO200, SMSL A300 should arrive on Saturday, let's see if it sounds good and if it is more powerful than AO200.
I was going to buy the AO200, but then the power, price and hf filter made me took the A300 way, ao 200 is pretty well reviewed....

Toku

Major Contributor
The A300 arrived and I immediately started the operation test. Topping E50 is used for the DAC.

There is no pop noise when the power is turned on / off. There is no noise when switching inputs.

The white noise from the speaker when there is no sound is only slightly audible with my 87dB / 89dB speaker when the ear is brought close to the speaker unit. The noise level is slightly higher than the AO200. But I can't hear it anymore when I'm 15 cm away from the speaker. The fever is slightly warmer than the AO200. It's exactly the same as the Sabaj A20a 2022 I bought the other day.

The DC offset voltage of the speaker output is extremely low and stable at R-ch 1.7mV / L-ch 3.3mV. Sabaj A20a 2022 also showed the same value as R-ch 2.7mV / L-ch 2.0mV, and there was no fluctuation. The operation of Infineon MA5332MS seems to be very stable.

The large dial knob has a slight click feeling when turned. The contact between the dial knob and the panel that I was worried about did not occur.
The attached remote control is for this unit only, and the volume cannot be adjusted with the conventional remote control that has the ABC selection button.

The case made by pressing the iron plate feels cheaper than the SMSL products so far, but the quality of the processing seems to be better than I expected.

Immediately after purchase, the sound quality is very high resolution, transparent and smooth, which is my favorite sound quality. I switched to the A20a 2022 and compared it, but the sound quality is very similar and I can't clearly distinguish it. Let's see how it changes over time.

* The method of using in BTL monaural mode is well understood by the Sabaj A20a2022, which explains the connection method in the figure, but the A300 cannot be understood no matter how much you read the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_3939.jpg
    IMG_3939.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Top Bottom