• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

ampguy

Thanks.

I’ve been using them as mono blocks since last year with mostly 8 ohm Allison One’s, and 6 ohm Polk RTA 12’s. Since the amps are bridged this halves the ohms the amps see anyway. Plenty of clean power with either speaker but don’t want to short change the amps potential. I use them with a preamp so don’t use their remote to set volume. I prefer the non “main slave” way because having separate amp gain provides better control over room caused imbalance.
Keep in mind that Amir’s tests are on one channel (the pbtl test part), so I’m not sure your halving the impedance that the amp sees applies, which normally applies when you bridge a 2 channel amp to mono. This is already being done internally prior to Amir’s measurements.

saberger0357

Keep in mind that Amir’s tests are on one channel (the pbtl test part), so I’m not sure your halving the impedance that the amp sees applies, which normally applies when you bridge a 2 channel amp to mono. This is already being done internally prior to Amir’s measurements.
So for an 8 ohm speaker I'm getting the 8 ohm, not 4 ohm figures, right? But also, if I use these amps with a 4 ohm speaker, I don't have to worry about the amps seeing a 2 ohm load, right? Which was a reason I didn't use them with 4 ohm speakers in the past. I would prefer to use them with those speakers so that would be good news.

ampguy

So for an 8 ohm speaker I'm getting the 8 ohm, not 4 ohm figures, right? But also, if I use these amps with a 4 ohm speaker, I don't have to worry about the amps seeing a 2 ohm load, right? Which was a reason I didn't use them with 4 ohm speakers in the past. I would prefer to use them with those speakers so that would be good news.
I think impedance wise, in BTL mode, the amp is going to see 4 ohms nominal (for your 4 ohm speakers), but it will be frequency dependent, as speakers are not a static resistive load. But 400 watts @ 4 ohms, you have to be careful with your vintage speakers of course. @amirm please correct me if I am wrong about the impedance the amp sees here. Thanks!

saberger0357

I think impedance wise, in BTL mode, the amp is going to see 4 ohms nominal (for your 4 ohm speakers), but it will be frequency dependent, as speakers are not a static resistive load. But 400 watts @ 4 ohms, you have to be careful with your vintage speakers of course. @amirm please correct me if I am wrong about the impedance the amp sees here. Thanks!

Yup. I just don't want to run an amp that is not stable down to 2 ohms on speakers that will dip there, which my AR3's can do. I bought these amps to use with difficult loads(like AR3's, and to a lesser extent my RTA 12's), not to blast but to provide acceptable dynamics.

ampguy

Yup. I just don't want to run an amp that is not stable down to 2 ohms on speakers that will dip there, which my AR3's can do. I bought these amps to use with difficult loads(like AR3's, and to a lesser extent my RTA 12's), not to blast but to provide acceptable dynamics.
You could try the hacks below, but I think you will be fine with 4 ohm loads, unless you are listening at high levels. Monitor the amp case, if it gets more than mildly warm anywhere, at that point I would be concerned.

1705177703224.png

saberger0357

You could try the hacks below, but I think you will be fine with 4 ohm loads, unless you are listening at high levels. Monitor the amp case, if it gets more than mildly warm anywhere, at that point I would be concerned.

View attachment 341723
Thanks but I don't hack anything. I listen conservatively, especially with the AR3's. I have other speakers when the bug hits to turn it up some.

saberger0357

I think you will be fine at low and moderate volumes with the A300 and your 4 ohm speakers.
Decided to just use them on my 8 ohm Allison One's, which I've done before. Even close to 220 watts for those is plenty.

saberger0357

I keep coming back to these amps and using them with different speakers. Presently, using with a pair of Polk RTA 12's. Previously, was using a Fose V3 and that worked well, but these speakers really like a lot of power, and the A300's help to add significantly more bottom and fill out the speakers much better. I'm glad I haven't given up on them.

Audio2024

Hi, I'm new to ASR and fresh in pursuing my humble audiophile journey... presently I have SMSL DO300 & a pair of SMSL A300 in dual mono btl driving a pair of old speakers...intend to upgrade to Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 / 12.4 or Linton 85th ... would be grateful and very much appreciated if any of you all experienced audiophiles' recommendations. Tq in advance for your help

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm new to ASR and fresh in pursuing my humble audiophile journey... presently I have SMSL DO300 & a pair of SMSL A300 in dual mono btl driving a pair of old speakers...intend to upgrade to Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 / 12.4 or Linton 85th ... would be grateful and very much appreciated if any of you all experienced audiophiles' recommendations. Tq in advance for your help
Your amps are fine - no need to consider upgrades here.

Regarding speakers, we don't have measurements of many wharfdale here, and those we have are a bit of a mixed bag - two recommended, two (higher priced ones) not.

I'd suggest looking through the list of speaker reviews here:
(click on "speakers" top right of the brown bar.)

Sort by the recommended column (click twice to get yes at the top)

Then look through the reviews recommended of speakers which are in your price range, and available in your region. If you don't understand the charts and graphs there is s video explaining them here - or just read the comments and conclusion.

(Third video)

Audio2024

Your amps are fine - no need to consider upgrades here.

Regarding speakers, we don't have measurements of many wharfdale here, and those we have are a bit of a mixed bag - two recommended, two (higher priced ones) not.

I'd suggest looking through the list of speaker reviews here:
(click on "speakers" top right of the brown bar.)

Sort by the recommended column (click twice to get yes at the top)

Then look through the reviews recommended of speakers which are in your price range, and available in your region. If you don't understand the charts and graphs there is s video explaining them here - or just read the comments and conclusion.

(Third video)
Tq so much for the guidance

7jm

I have the Linton with a single a300, it's absolutely fine for me but I don't listen loud. I don't feel the need for a sub, Erin has measured them and seemed to like them too.
I have found them wonderful, provided you have some space for placement and if possible use some peq to reduce the room modes. I use the 4 band on a wiim pro plus and it really makes a big difference, reducing the boominess you might experience at certain frequencies without really impacting the overall bass response.
I may at some time change/upgrade the amp but the sound you experience will mostly be dictated by the speakers/room/placement and as it stands I'm just enjoying the music.

Audio2024

I have the Linton with a single a300, it's absolutely fine for me but I don't listen loud. I don't feel the need for a sub, Erin has measured them and seemed to like them too.
I have found them wonderful, provided you have some space for placement and if possible use some peq to reduce the room modes. I use the 4 band on a wiim pro plus and it really makes a big difference, reducing the boominess you might experience at certain frequencies without really impacting the overall bass response.
I may at some time change/upgrade the amp but the sound you experience will mostly be dictated by the speakers/room/placement and as it stands I'm just enjoying the music.
Tq for sharing...my living room is about 4m×5m, present setup wiim mini to SMSL do300 dac to 2 a300...intend to get Linton and keep for long...will consider upgrade amplifier if necessary. Meantime just enjoy the music and tq for your advice

Top Bottom