• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sennheiser pads measured.

ziddy76

I have 2020 HD58X (028695) with older style pads (moded with 4mm hole felt) . But my 2021 HD6XX came with the round profile pads. Ziddy76, are the older style pads style pads still available in North America, where did purchase yours if I may ask (Canadian Sennheiser has most likely the same stock as USA, and the pads were unavailable for a while).
As for Dekoni they provide measurements here, and to me they change the sound significantly not to recommend them.
https://dekoniaudio.com/sennheiser-hd650-measurements/
I would rather go with the Chinese pads Solderdude provided link to.

Wrong Dekoni pads, they look identical/almost identical to the older Senn pads. They are sold by Dekoni on Amazon.

Picture used by Dekoni
815R-DH4lfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I got older styl from Senn's store on Amazon.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude have you compared the Sennheiser pads from the Dekoni pads I saw on Amazon that look near identical to the Sennheiser pads?

Haven't. Can't find them either.

Paweł L

I ordered pair of OEMs from Sennheiser Canada store, price was sort of OK. It would be around the same as getting the one from Earpadz site since I will have to pay shipping from their US store.
Actually the replacement parts dept is served by Digital River (DR global Tech) in Minnesota. I will update what they are once I have them in my hands.

BrunoArrais85

I ordered pair of OEMs from Sennheiser Canada store, price was sort of OK. It would be around the same as getting the one from Earpadz site since I will have to pay shipping from their US store.
Actually the replacement parts dept is served by Digital River (DR global Tech) in Minnesota. I will update what they are once I have them in my hands.

Well I received a pair of pads for my 660s from Sennheiser Canada a few weeks ago. They are the new ones.

smallricey

I feel like my Hifiman 4XX's high frequency is less pronounced after half year of use. Does that match the measurement?
Or could worn pad increase the low & the mid range to balance everything out a bit?

Paweł L

Most likely you got used to the headphones. But it's very possible that the pads collapsed slightly as well and freq resp got a bit more laid back (less highs) as the drivers are closer to the ears. Half a year it's rather short amount of time to deform the pads to cause obvious change in freq response, maybe slightly noticeable.

smallricey

Most likely you got used to the headphones. But it's very possible that the pads collapsed slightly as well and freq resp got a bit more laid back (less highs) as the drivers are closer to the ears. Half a year it's rather short amount of time to deform the pads to cause obvious change in freq response, maybe slightly noticeable.
I would've agreed with you if that's the only pair of headset i have. I was using Focal Elegia explicitly since the high freq wasn't so annoying.
I kept the 4XX to listen explicitly on 80's rock and guitar, which is rare and few. One day, I got lazy to switch headphone and listened to jazz and classical and found that the high pitch wasn't really cringe as before.

I own the 4XX for a yr and half but the actual daily usage is probably about half a yr.

Agony

Wrong Dekoni pads, they look identical/almost identical to the older Senn pads. They are sold by Dekoni on Amazon.

Picture used by Dekoni
View attachment 153939

I got older styl from Senn's store on Amazon.

I have used , Dekoni , Yaxi , Brainwavz with extra ring , and None of them look or Sound like the Original ones.
Original Sennheiser Pads are Hybrids with Velour Outside and artificial Leather inside close to the ring , also there are no stitching in front of the pads , all the stitching on originals are close to the plastic ring .

Ps. I dont know if Dekoni made a new pad that is close to original , but the Leather , fenestrated and velour dekoni that i had none of them was close to original for sure.

Attachments

• 11207415.jpg
    11207415.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 164

Agony

There is a slight decrease in bass with the new pads (-1dB opposite older pads).
It depends on what you mean by target. It does not follow the Harman target below 100Hz. It gets good ratings because the response is even (little bumps and dips)
Great post thank u ... These new are stiffer for sure but it looks like they get soft after hours and after that i guess will sound like the new OLD one pads ....

Attachments

• 208859604_155272743254692_3724778831574164122_n.jpg
    208859604_155272743254692_3724778831574164122_n.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 188

Agony

The old original pads use this foam inside... Do we know if the new ones keep the shame foam ?

Attachments

• 20201011_114214.jpg
    20201011_114214.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 178
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is not only the height/softness of the pad but also the acoustic properties of the used foam that has an influence.

Differences are smaller between old and new than between original and alternative pads.

Agony

It is not only the height/softness of the pad but also the acoustic properties of the used foam that has an influence.

Differences are smaller between old and new than between original and alternative pads.
In your opinion , does it worth it to move the HD6 driver series on a HD 5 series frame ? Its years that i was thinking about that i have to (destroy) both of them so i can fit it in and cut some places . I tried to simulate something like that using the Brainwavz XL Hybrid Angled pads with original plastic ring but the sound got muddied V shaped and bigger soundstage it didnt worked at all ... so I make a Closed Back Koss KPHi30 with those pads and closed back frame . And in this headphone did worked .
Why is it so hard to mod HD 6.. Series and work ? anything from pads to different frame or closed back ?
The only think that worked for me is Buying this https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-damping-sheet-stick-15-24cm/dp/B0006DPMPE AudioQuest Sorbothane antivibration foam and put it around the driver like that ... in my xp makes the sound tighter more controlled ... Do u have any XP on this kind of these audio Antivibration materials ?

Attachments

• 20211001_184907.jpg
    20211001_184907.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • 20210522_140229.jpg
    20210522_140229.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210522_122650_HDR.jpg
    20210522_122650_HDR.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 129
  • 20211001_192148.jpg
    20211001_192148.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 131

Agony

Today i bought another one set of those New pads ... and they are Surely softer ... than the Old before 2021 pads and Softer than the new 2021 pads. I dont know why but they feel and look way better than any other pad that i have .
Its not only that they are soft , but velour feels better .

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 167
OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In your opinion , does it worth it to move the HD6 driver series on a HD 5 series frame

I have no idea how that would pan out as so much aspects change at the same time.

Why is it so hard to mod HD 6..

probably because Sennheiser already got it right or close enough ?

Do u have any XP on this kind of these audio Antivibration materials ?
aside from the driver I don't think anything else than the driver is vibrating in a sound degrading way.
I often see all kinds of mods using all kinds of materials with huge claims of improvements going with it.
Mostly the material is blocking or changing sound pathways on the rear. The rear is open anyway.

Agony

I have no idea how that would pan out as so much aspects change at the same time.

probably because Sennheiser already got it right or close enough ?

aside from the driver I don't think anything else than the driver is vibrating in a sound degrading way.
I often see all kinds of mods using all kinds of materials with huge claims of improvements going with it.
Mostly the material is blocking or changing sound pathways on the rear. The rear is open anyway.
Thanks for all your help, i guess its not worth it to start again mods on HD 6 line . Like u said Sennheiser already got it right ... But in this hobby some times we try to make something better and in the end we make it worst.
Great Post Solderdude u are the only one with such XP .

Leporello

What's with the availability of original (Sennheiser) HD600 replacement pads? They seem to be out of stock everywhere (at least in Europe).

Paweł L

Only pads available for HD6** series, at least in North America, are the ones measured by SolderDude. Since Sennheiser change its owner, these are the official pads, hmmm.

Top Bottom