• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sennheiser pads measured.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Question: The HD660S pads are quite firm and start to hurt my ears with eyeglasses after some time. Can I replace the pads with the HD650 pads, which are softer if I recall correctly? Any other softer pad recommendations?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The current pads for HD650 and HD660S(2) are the same ones.
The older pads are indeed a bit softer.
I would recommend to lower the clamping force for more comfort.

Some people claim just keeping it on a stack of books does the trick but I prefer to bend the metal pieces exactly to the desired pressure.
Totally reversible too and when bent a bit too loose you can bend it back to a bit higher clamping force again.

clamping-force.jpg

Do NOT try to bend the plastic headband and ONLY apply force to the metal part. Do this incrementally with a fitting after each bending so you can get the perfect clamping force.
Works for all similar models.

Seamlessly Docked

Hi, could I ask if, after a few years, the change has ended up being quite noticeable? I want to start out the headphones hobby (?) with neutral headphones and had decided on 600/650 with 600 winning out due their sound as pads wear out, but that was before I learned of this revision.

Unfortunately, I cannot try any of them except one very worn-out (and probably with old pads) HD650. I just want a good reference pair to anchor myself a bit better as I start, but as the first pair, I will also be keeping them forever, somewhat religiously, so I am sorry if I sound a bit fussy.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The new HD600 (probably) has a hair more 'body' (not confirmed but extrapolating from experiments with HD650 and HD58X)

An alternative for HD600 is the much cheaper HD560S but there are differences in 'feel' and comfort.

Seamlessly Docked

Thank you very much. By having more 'body', does that mean the vocal/mid is a tiny bit more present because the bass is reduced by a tiny bit?

I do not wish to detract the thread, but may I also ask if HD560s sound sibilant more often than HD600/650, mainly on vocal? It is my (should be) preference I use as a tie-breaker under an assumption that they are all relatively neutral sounding. (My source is Apple Music on MacBook Pro M1.)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is more sample to sample variation in HD560S (tolerances less tight) it seems.
Also the newer versions are less 'bright' compared to earlier ones (< 2022).

HD600/650, over the years, also have changed a little due to drivers and pads but are overall fairly consistent. The HD650 has tighter tolerances than HD600.

The HD600 is shifted in tonality a little bit closer to the older HD650 and the HD650 is a tiny bit 'warmer' than the version of a few years back.
The differences are small but detectable and only valid for fresh pads.
This is why Amir's measurement of the HD600 and HD650 were so similar... pad wear/aging.
The tonality changes a little over time due to pad wear (becomes slightly darker sounding).

For mixing I would recommend HD600 over HD650. It will lead to a bit more low bass and less 'strident' mids in the mix.

Top Bottom