• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
They have SPDIF input already on it, basic DD/DTS decoding would have surely added some value.

there's a few problems here

1stly... you have to license this stuff

2ndly... you have to add ICs and going digital defeats the purpose

3rdly... you have to add LCD screens, OSDs and control menus which adds complexity

4thly... to me you're competing against decades old processors and receivers which are essentially free on the 2nd hand market which i'm guessing a potential Schitt Syn buyer already has in another system

this product is targetting the fraction of a 1% buyer who finds this Schittt funny so to speak

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
so they invented an analog based Dolby Pro Logic... sort of
I really liked this one:
604fos.1.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Return of the Hafler "ambience retrieval" box?

I mean, matrix "quad" was a thing ca. 1972.

Exactly!
That was my first thought too. I still remember those times and devices well. I was in the game back then.
It seems to be the same lack of new ideas as in fashion, where all the old trends are warmed up again and again.

charleski

Major Contributor
I really liked this one:
604fos.1.jpg

And there I was thinking I'd seen it all!
A $13k tube analog Pro-Logic decoder has got to get top-billing on any list of weirdest hifi components.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And there I was thinking I'd seen it all!
A $13k tube analog Pro-Logic decoder has got to get top-billing on any list of weirdest hifi components.
Even in its time, it was of marginal interest.

Reactions: 617

Asyrin

further $399 usd gets you part way to a current low to mid range Atmos unit that actually does all this and more

i picked up an Onkyo 7.2 unit for less than this when everyone though they were going bankrupt

i think Schitt are being funny and think theres people out there who are arch and antiestablishment and want to part with $400 for what is going to be a piece of Schitt curio pretty soon.
You put that giant Onkyo unit on your desk?

Because I searched high and low for a small 5.1 receiver and found nothing.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find this really dumb. This "surround processor" is known as a mid-side processor in the studio/production world. You can do this pretty easily in DSP if you have a DAC with enough outputs.

https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/ this freebie plus some basic filters is all you need to recreate this device, should you so choose.

Anyway, the fact that DIY solutions exist isn't really the point.

This device really abuses the idea of actual surround sound, and IMO is too liberal in terms of messing with the original mix. I don't want what schiit thinks the song should sound like, I want what the band/producer/mixing engineer thought the song should sound like. Hard pass from me.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"Current" surround craze? That craze is decades old now?
What goes around comes around.
Ask Brian Eno ;)

(or David Hafler, as mentioned earlier. He's a little harder to get hold of, unless a Ouija Board's handy)

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Poptronics/70s/1971/Poptronics-1971-07.pdf see pg. 47ff of the magazine.

1680287678849.png

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
"Current" surround craze? That craze is decades old now?
Well yeah, surround is nothing new, but there is a lot of marketing hype right now with Apple and Amazon pushing Atmos and Sonos introducing their Era speakers and pushing surround harder than ever.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Well yeah, surround is nothing new, but there is a lot of hype right now with Apple and Amazon pushing Atmos and Sonos introducing their Era speakers and pushing surround harder than ever.
Yet, here we are, with only AVR's as convenient solution.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Wow, I'd consider this if it was balanced.. but then it would probably be pushing $1k. Pretty cool regardless.

MAB

Major Contributor
Perhaps I missed it, but hasn't Yamaha done this in 1980's with the DSP-1?
Probably totally different. Likely I would still want to have the Yamaha....

edit... with picture:
666dsp1.2.jpg

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A friend of mine at college with Quad ESLs at home bought a pair of Rogers LS3/5a's back in 1977 with the intent of using the Rogers in a small apartment during grad school, then as the surrounds using another "ambiance reclaiming" device somewhat like that Hafler once he got into a more permanent home. For the life of me, I cannot recall the name of it, but it was sold in a few high-end shops back then, even though they were accused of audio heresy at the time. :D:D:D

Top Bottom