• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Schiit Fulla

Grattle

Has anyone bought the new Fulla? If so, any impressions, comparisons?

Thanks!

OP
Grattle

Grattle

After having the Fulla 2 for some time all I can say that I will never use a Schiit product again even if someone gifts me one for my birthday....

Please elaborate! Thanks.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Firstly, the Fulla 3 amp doesn't seem to provide near the same amount of power as the Fulla 2. For reference, when using the X2HR on the Fulla 2, I get around 70db listening volume with the knob at about 9:00 oclock. With the Fulla 3, I have to push the knob to more like 11 oclock. Likewise with the HD 58x, 70db-ish volume is around 10 oclock on the Fulla 2. On the Fulla 3, I have to go to about 12 oclock.

Someone else who confuses power and gain.

snowsurfer

Please elaborate! Thanks.

Very scratchy pot (very!), incredibly prone to ground loops (in my system at least - I was unable to eliminate ground loops to my JBL LSR305 monitors, using the fulla as a preamp, until I got a DAC and fed the 305s from there via XLR), hisses magnificently with some IEMs, still prone to ground loops when using it just as a headphone amp...

OP
Grattle

Grattle

Very scratchy pot (very!), incredibly prone to ground loops (in my system at least - I was unable to eliminate ground loops to my JBL LSR305 monitors, using the fulla as a preamp, until I got a DAC and fed the 305s from there via XLR), hisses magnificently with some IEMs, still prone to ground loops when using it just as a headphone amp...

Thanks for this. Just to confirm, this was with Fulla 3, not 2, correct?

Someone else who confuses power and gain.
That's my review on reddit. And yes, I have since come to understand the difference between the two. I guess the Fulla 3 has a more even gain step than fulla 2 did.

However the Fulla 3 also is slightly less powerful than the Fulla 2 according the the specs on the Schiit website, so maybe its a combination of the two.

Anyway, I wanted to like the unit but I was never able to figure out why I was getting random audio crackles. I tried everything I could think of, to no avail. I didn't have this problem with the Fulla 2, nor any other usb audio device, so who knows. Anyone have any ideas?

But yeah overall, basically a Fulla 2 with mic input, mic input super sensitive but very clear, sound quality a bit warmer vs the fulla 2, and perhaps a bit less powerful as an amp. I'd imagine those who thought the Fulla 2 was crap will still think the 3 is crap. I still have and like the fulla 2, measurements aside it has always sounded good to me. Noticeably better than something like a FiiO E10k.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
After having the Fulla 2 for some time all I can say that I will never use a Schiit product again even if someone gifts me one for my birthday....

Ditto.

I threw my Fulla 2 into a drawer within a few weeks after receiving it, due to the problems you describe. I haven't bought anything from Schiit since.

So I realized my motherboard has one USB C port, so I bought a micro to usb c cable. The crackling is gone at the desktop and when listening to Spotify or audio in a browser. I only heard it a little bit in game now- though it's still present enough to clearly notice it.

Does that make sense to anyone? On regular USB ports the crackling is bad no matter what. Headway made, but I'm puzzled. Again my fulla 2 doesn't have this issue.

tried an high power usb 3.0? maybe is something power related
Yeah I've tried USB 3.0, 3.1, a powered USB hub. Crackle remains.

It's least on the USB C port, but still there in games, though not nearly as bad. I also noticed if I increase bit depth in sound settings it gets worse the higher I go. Even at 16 bit 44.1 khz it's still there, but it's way worse at like 32 bit.

Veri

Master Contributor
Yeah I've tried USB 3.0, 3.1, a powered USB hub. Crackle remains.

It's least on the USB C port, but still there in games, though not nearly as bad. I also noticed if I increase bit depth in sound settings it gets worse the higher I go. Even at 16 bit 44.1 khz it's still there, but it's way worse at like 32 bit.
That's again weird. 32-bit likely uses higher bandwidth -> more noise?

threni

Major Contributor
That's again weird. 32-bit likely uses higher bandwidth -> more noise?
Is it possible that that PC can't keep up with producing the output at a sufficiently high speed, so 32bit just makes the problem worse? I read for example that the raspberry pi 3 can't keep up with some DACs but the pi 4 can. On linux UAC2 or above is advisable. Maybe you could try a linux cd. bit of a faff, if you're not familiar with that though.

I doubt its that my PC can't keep up with processing the audio. I have an i7-7700k overclocked to 4.5 ghz, 16 gb ddr4 3000 mhz ram, SSD, and a 2080ti GPU.

I'm at a loss really, I have no idea why its happening. It appears to be a power/bandwidth issue. It might just be that my motherboard's power delivery to my USB ports isnt good enough. While the Fulla 2 (and every other usb audio device I've used including wireless headset) weren't sensitive to it, the Fulla 3 appears to be.

At this point I'm a bit tired of troubleshooting it, so I'll probably just move on from it and go back to my Fulla 2.

threni

Major Contributor
I doubt its that my PC can't keep up with processing the audio. I have an i7-7700k overclocked to 4.5 ghz, 16 gb ddr4 3000 mhz ram, SSD, and a 2080ti GPU.

I'm at a loss really, I have no idea why its happening. It appears to be a power/bandwidth issue. It might just be that my motherboard's power delivery to my USB ports isnt good enough. While the Fulla 2 (and every other usb audio device I've used including wireless headset) weren't sensitive to it, the Fulla 3 appears to be.

At this point I'm a bit tired of troubleshooting it, so I'll probably just move on from it and go back to my Fulla 2.

Maybe you don't have the USB drivers required to keep the DAC happy? On linux it's only relatively recently that the kernel has supported UAC2 needed for higher-res audio. Do you have the drivers referred to on the Schiit site?

Tried generic UAC2 drivers that Windows installed when the device was plugged in, and also tried downloading the "gaming drivers" from the Schiit product page and installing those. Crackling still persists. I don't think its a driver issue really.

DUKE-DUKE

Hi all. I am looking for a stationary dac only for headphones and I was almost determined to buy the fulla 3, but seeing the problems of noise, sound quality and sharpness that you are having with this model I consider to redirect my purchase decision and ask you for advice to choose a dac quality, stationary and only for headphones up to 150 dollars if possible. Thank you very much to all for the gigantic contribution of knowledge and for your help. Best regards.

Top Bottom