• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Rules to win "Best Picture" Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"So, did I get the job?"
"Sorry, can't hire you. We already have one."

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They didn't clarify by what standards. Worldwide caucasians are what something like 12 or 13 percent. But I think they know we know anybody not white counts.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
White privilege/white grievance culture is strong in this thread. The whining really gets annoying.

(This was a stupid time for Hollywood to rev up the white grievance whine machine, though. They should have waited until mid-November.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about a Korean film, made in Korea, with Koreans onscreen and off about Korean history. Do Koreans count as minorities or not since they were a majority in the country of such a film?

Oh can we now have the white people's film awards? Well no, because I can't think of a single feature film that would even come close to qualifying. So for those saying it is window dressing that changes nothing I might ask what really needs to change?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the standards don't go far enough too thinking about it. I think there should be a 20% on screen actors requirement that parts are cross gendered. You know a biopic of say FDR with a woman playing the part of FDR. You have to admit any woman who could pull that off convincingly deserves an award. Rules might get confusing if we have transgendered roles in a film. I'm sure experts in the field can come up with something.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
What about a Korean film, made in Korea, with Koreans onscreen and off about Korean history. Do Koreans count as minorities or not since they were a majority in the country of such a film?

As long as cannibalism is involved?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As offensive as this might be it might be interesting to make a list of truly great films that don't fit a single one of these criterion. 2001 comes to mind.
Does blackface count as a representation of a under-represented minority?

Does this count as an oriental? Used a lowercase o since it is a fake.

1599707159988.png

1599707205123.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So this isn't any good?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Are they going to make a remake of Gone With The Wind on Netflix?

* Ray, that's good you started this thread. Because films matter.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they going to make a remake of Gone With The Wind on Netflix?

* Ray, that's good you started this thread. Because films matter.
No need to. Gone with the Wind I believe meets all the requirements. Once the loonies behind this realize that I believe they'll have some kind of fit and add to the rules.

Oh and btw, I think some film should have the Director of Sound FX be one of those deaf people on the list. I mean it is the height of arrogance to think only hearing enabled can direct sound for a major film. I also think it is a big slight to blind people which aren't on the list. Why couldn't a blind person direct sound effex. This list isn't very inclusive at all is it. Blind people in the movie business are completely ignored. Even though we've seen blind actors before they don't make the list of criteria. Shameful. Half-baked ideas I tell you.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Better products, services, and content are made when there is a diverse group of people from different backgrounds working on them together. They share different ideas and perspectives, and behave better around each other. So if this moves things closer to more diverse groups of people working on a film together then I'm happy about that. The film industry has been struggling to make good original content for a while now. Here's hoping they start catching up with Television.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
With this kind of crowd here this is going to be a lot of fun ...

And nothing is going to stop us to create our own movie awards with the standards we all like ... a rainbow of colors reflected through a crystal prism.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OH NO Mss Scarlett, I don't no nothin bout birtin no babie. :p

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Oh can we now have the white people's film awards? Well no, because I can't think of a single feature film that would even come close to qualifying. So for those saying it is window dressing that changes nothing I might ask what really needs to change?
Best foreign language film ? There's a category for that isn't there?

Anyway, this threads creating reports and it's far to complex a subject to discuss meaningfully here .

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom