• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New room... different speaker advice

ZeeWW

First post here and glad I've found this forum.

My current system is a pair of Genelec 8040 SAM monitors and a Lumin U1 mini streaming Tidal. My listening was near field at just under 2 meters and the room had acoustic treatment (traps etc). I've had to relocate my system into a room that is 5m wide by 7m long and a ceiling height of 3.5m. My listening position is now 6 meters away and I've no option to rearrange my listening position.

The 8040s are just lost in my room and this is has to be due to the now extended listening distance and the lack of room treatments. I've lost a lot of dbs listening so far away. I'm going to treat the room, but I think I have to accept that I need to upgrade my monitors. I like Genelecs and I was wondering what options do I have? I love the simplicity of the Lumin going digital to the monitors.

Would the 8341 or the 1032 work when 5 - 6m away from the listener? Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

onion

I have 8341s. I don't think they will work at that distance including if you use subs. Not sure about 8351s, but 8361s probably will.

Sprint

Forum Donor
First post here and glad I've found this forum.

My current system is a pair of Genelec 8040 SAM monitors and a Lumin U1 mini streaming Tidal. My listening was near field at just under 2 meters and the room had acoustic treatment (traps etc). I've had to relocate my system into a room that is 5m wide by 7m long and a ceiling height of 3.5m. My listening position is now 6 meters away and I've no option to rearrange my listening position.

The 8040s are just lost in my room and this is has to be due to the now extended listening distance and the lack of room treatments. I've lost a lot of dbs listening so far away. I'm going to treat the room, but I think I have to accept that I need to upgrade my monitors. I like Genelecs and I was wondering what options do I have? I love the simplicity of the Lumin going digital to the monitors.

Would the 8341 or the 1032 work when 5 - 6m away from the listener? Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

What is the DB that you are getting at 6 meters. I have 8340 and I sit at 3,5 meters. Still working for me but I have 2 SVS Sb-12 nsd subwoofers. But 6 meters can be very tricky and I assume you will loose lot of content.

Top Bottom