• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Release : xDuoo XA-10 Balanced DAC & AMP

kryptk

Curious how this compares to the Modi 3/Magni Heresy, have this stack with DT 1990's but this is only a little bit more price wise and all in one.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Today they launched another Dac/Amp product, the XD05 Bal. It's a portable with supposedly a dual mono topology.

https://www.xduoo.net/product/xd05-bal/

But the power output specs make no sense whatsoever.

iMarkup_20210201_191244.jpg

How can an amp.have the same output power through the single-ended jack as the "balanced" jack? Something doesn't add up

dmac6419

Major Contributor

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Well is there a technical explanation? This doesn't seem legit.
6.5 and 4.4.4mm have the same power, some people have balanced cables some don't,so you get the same power no matter what cable you use.

Tortie

Forum Donor
6.5 and 4.4.4mm have the same power, some people have balanced cables some don't,so you get the same power no matter what cable you use.

Then it's not true end-to-end balanced output design. This is misrepresentation from Xduoo. It's marketed as balanced Dac/amp.

And don't be obtuse. No reputable company puts a balanced headphone jack on an amp just for aesthetics. This is fraud.

Tortie

Forum Donor
xd05-bal-page-detail-4.jpg

The above graphic from Xduoo of the XD05-Bal seems to imply that the signal path is only dual mono up until it reaches the amplification stage. Note the big rectangle blob. The amplifier stage doesn't have mirrored parts.

Tortie

Forum Donor
I posted a much longer comment on Head-fi pointing out the discrepancies with this oddball ChiFi product.

The amplification stage looks like a dumpster fire.

xd05-bal-page-detail-12-1.jpg

Cheap caps in the signal path. One is awkwardly placed in a corner What a mess and using swappable opamps on DIP8 risers is such a gimmick amd eats up precious real estate in a portable device *facepalm*

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Then it's not true end-to-end balanced output design. This is misrepresentation from Xduoo. It's marketed as balanced Dac/amp.

And don't be obtuse. No reputable company puts a balanced headphone jack on an amp just for aesthetics. This is fraud.
Ain't saying it ain't balanced, you have to ask Xduoo,send them a message and see what they say,

Tortie

Forum Donor
Same way as the SMSL SP200

I looked into what you said about the SMSL SP200 and it's true. Both that product and the XD05-BAL are marketed as "balanced" but don't have balanced output. The useless pentaconn jack is there to mislead the consumer. This should be criminal...and probably is. And of course JohnYang, the designer of that lovely headphone destroying L30, tried to deflect on the issue. I'll never buy a xDuoo product. Ever.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-smsl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/post-276133

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I looked into what you said about the SMSL SP200 and it's true. Both that product and the XD05-BAL are marketed as "balanced" but don't have balanced output. The useless pentaconn jack is there to mislead the consumer. This should be criminal...and probably is. And of course JohnYang, the designer of that lovely headphone destroying L30, tried to deflect on the issue. I'll never buy a xDuoo product. Ever.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-smsl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/post-276133
This is a portable device it should push any cans you throw at it,balanced really doesn't matter it has all the power one needs

Tortie

Forum Donor
This is a portable device it should push any cans you throw at it,balanced really doesn't matter it has all the power one needs

Thats not the point. xDuoo already had a portable, the XD05 Plus, which output 1,000mW @ 32ohm single-ended. People were looking forward to this new product because for months now xDuoo has teased that it would be an updated XD05 with balanced amplification.

Turns out that xDuoo misled perspective buyers and it's really insulting that they named the product the "XDO5 Balanced". Absolutely no shame from that company.

Is should mention that I only became aware of this Chinese company over the weekend. I was looking for a portable amplifier. Did a lot of reading on the company and their products as well as combing through customer reviews on Amazon and poking around on the official xDuoo Support forum. I have to say that my impression of the company is not favorable. I'm certainly not going to buy their junk.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Thats not the point. xDuoo already had a portable, the XD05 Plus, which output 1,000mW @ 32ohm single-ended. People were looking forward to this new product because for months now xDuoo has teased that it would be an updated XD05 with balanced amplification.

Turns out that xDuoo misled perspective buyers and it's really insulting that they named the product the "XDO5 Balanced". Absolutely no shame from that company.

Is should mention that I only became aware of this Chinese company over the weekend. I was looking for a portable amplifier. Did a lot of reading on the company and their products as well as combing through customer reviews on Amazon and poking around on the official xDuoo Support forum. I have to say that my impression of the company is not favorable. I'm certainly not going to buy their junk.
But it does have a balanced connection 4.4mm the 05 is 6.5mm only

Veri

Master Contributor
No reputable company puts a balanced headphone jack on an amp just for aesthetics. This is fraud.
Erm they just offer the connector. There are a lot of products that do this. The SP200 and SH-9 amps for example are not balanced, but both have very high gain and power output, you would not notice it's "truly" balanced... in any case calling it fraud is just silly, the consumer should also read the fine print. If the power is the same, it's not balanced. No need to get offended lol.

Upcoming Topping A30 Pro will also have 4-pin XLR and 4.4mm in a similarly unbalanced amplification stage like the SP200. It will have extremely high power output. Balanced is not necessary if the design is good anyway. Not sure you've ever read this...
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Top Bottom