• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Q Active 200 and Q Active 400 from Q Acoustics

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Woe, this looks intriguing! I'm a fan of Q Acoustics for some reason even though I've never owned one. The press material shows wider dispersion due to the BMR drivers, any truth to that?

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BMR drivers really don't beam as much as similar sized conventional drivers in the upper frequency range where the transmitted wavelengths are smaller than the driver dimensions but in my experience cannot also be compared with really good tweeters.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BMR drivers really don't beam as much as similar sized conventional drivers in the upper frequency range where the transmitted wavelengths are smaller than the driver dimensions but in my experience cannot also be compared with really good tweeters.
I've not heard a BMR sound great, so far, if they crack the tech it will be a wonder driver. They have always sounded murky, only ever heard them in passive designs, DSP active might change all that.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
4.5" sub driver(s), bizarre. Why so tiny.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would love to see their spins.

LearningToSmile

I love the aesthetics of the small ones, particularly with these stands. Wonder how they'll perform, I appreciate all non standard designs.

Probably won't be cheap either way because I tried seeing if they sell those stands on their own and they're $999 a pair.

EDIT: Actually never mind, the $999 ones are different stands, though they're also called Tensegrity stands?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Always glad to see Hi-Fi manufacturers trying to break the passive mold, especially with this much creativity.
Subwoofer (high excursion) 1 x 114mm (4.5in)
Now that's a good joke. Even with Genelec Ones or Devialet tier woofers, it's just way too small.
No USB input
AKA will only work on Windows/MacOS with their proprietary drivers.
No tweeter
The pair of BMR having to cover 150 Hz to 20 kHz sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It's a bit like that ridiculous Sony cube monitor "thing". Interesting, but I'm pretty sure measurements will be a sorry sight.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not heard a BMR sound great, so far, if they crack the tech it will be a wonder driver. They have always sounded murky, only ever heard them in passive designs, DSP active might change all that.

Naim Ovator? I found it had a congested, murky sound. The Phil BMR did the right thing to exploit its properties in the midrange only. Another issue, which is something I think Dennis Murphy also pointed out, is that BMRs are pretty much all built to a very tight budget for installation/consumer markets, and corners are inevitably cut. I don't think there's even any BMR that's an earnest attempt to put performance first, let alone an all-out assault on the limits of the topology. It's the same problem as we see with Devialet/Apple/Google - the best tech on the market is going to stuff with compromised packaging built to exceedingly-low prices at huge scale. Given how great a well-engineered conventional widebander can be nowadays, a BMR could be the next step up.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Naim Ovator? I found it had a congested, murky sound.
Yes, I've heard a few others are shows I cannot remember the name of as well. Those Naim BMR speakers were truly awful, even the top of the range active ones in their own factory dem room, truly head scratchingly bad.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the whitepaper, by the way. Was disappointed to see that unlike the whitepapers for the Concept 500 and 300, there are no frequency response measurements at all. Too much text spent talking about features, too little about science and performance.

Even with Genelec Ones or Devialet tier woofers, it's just way too small.

To be fair, they're only claiming a -6dB point of 46Hz on the bookshelf. Seems reasonable enough.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
To be fair, they're only claiming a -6dB point of 46Hz on the bookshelf. Seems reasonable enough.
That's the same as a 8030C, guess it's doable, though I'm skeptical.

Didn't notice at first, but what is going on with that nonsensical woofer waveguide thing? At 150 Hz, wavelength is around 2.3 m, it'll be omni way before that. It's just a way to be able to put it against the wall with no airflow issues, right?

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Well, let´s wait for the measurements.. I have actually designed and produced active speakers of similar construction, with bigger 4,5 inch BMR driver fullrange, playing down to 300 Hz, and bass section with TB speakers 5 1/4 subwoofer and Wavecor 7 inch passive radiator. The BMR drivers have certain wow effect, and some qualities, but...
but the mentioned wide-dispersion is not exactly true, or it is actually very non-linear, and difficult to adjust in crossover or DSP.
This is also in my opinion the reason why the Naim company was not very sucessfull with it. The driver that i am using in the Virtuoso speakers
is the same as used in Rega RS10 speakers as midrange only.
Here is a link to my design, if you want to have a look :)
https://www.gravelli.com/en/product/audio-en/virtuoso/

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Didn't notice at first, but what is going on with that nonsensical woofer waveguide thing? At 150 Hz, wavelength is around 2.3 m, it'll be omni way before that. It's just a way to be able to put it against the wall with no airflow issues, right?

Eh, the Phantom Reactor does 18Hz at usable SPLs with a pair of 3-inch woofers, anything is possible :p
Q acoustics has cabinet size going for it; it's about the same height and width as the genelec but four inches deeper. So certainly doable.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just a way to be able to put it against the wall with no airflow issues, right?
That's what I assumed, it might be also to enable airflow for cooling the electronics.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor

Yes, i think that this is just a redirected port for exactly this reason, not a waveguide, since it works bellow 300 Hz..

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Eh, the Phantom Reactor does 18Hz at usable SPLs with a pair of 3-inch woofers, anything is possible :p
Q acoustics has cabinet size going for it; it's about the same height and width as the genelec but four inches deeper. So certainly doable.
More like around 30 Hz, with compression algorithm cutting it volume dependently (see picture) And it is twin 4 inch long throw subwoofers in each. But anyway, very impressive for its size,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-07 220134.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-10-07 220134.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Top Bottom