• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Purifi amplifiers coming

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
That is true ;)

So, when are you coming out with a 1ET9040BA amplifier? :D
I am volunteering to be a tester, just ship it! :D haha
Until last week I was wondering if we would do anything with it. Then I saw some performance curves which were just insane. Now I feel that we have no other choice than doing something around this module. What, when and at which cost are questions remaining to be answered.

eduardw

Forum Donor
I really do not like the new unit :) . Year and a half Ago i bought 2 nad c298. Now probably next year or so I need to upgrade to the new future amps. I would love to see a 3 channel version in a Year or two, to power front and center speaker. Or 3 mono's :).
The Nad can then power the 4 back surrounds.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now probably next year or so I need to upgrade to the new future amps.
The question is why would you need to upgrade? Do you lack power? Or can somehow be the first human ever who can hear distortion difference between 110dB and 120dB?

eduardw

Forum Donor
The question is why would you need to upgrade? Do you lack power? Or can somehow be the first human ever who can hear distortion difference between 110dB and 120dB?
Just because I can :). I will probably never hear the difference. :)

JRS

Major Contributor
Kim Madsen just informed me privately that it is indeed the number of channels .

Roberto
Makes sense if it is bridged. I mean two may physically fit but shedding that much heat may require some breathing room?

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Makes sense if it is bridged. I mean two may physically fit but shedding that much heat may require some breathing room?

Sorry I do not understand what you are saying. We were talking about the “1” in the module name referring to the number of channels.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Until last week I was wondering if we would do anything with it. Then I saw some performance curves which were just insane. Now I feel that we have no other choice than doing something around this module. What, when and at which cost are questions remaining to be answered.

Claus told me 4μV (IIUC) noise (A weighted), and I saw the THD+N diagram. I told him the proper adjective was “ludicrous” and, well, he admitted it sort of was…

I am attaching the THD+N diagram to this post.

Attachments

• 2023-05-25 02-29 1.jpeg
    2023-05-25 02-29 1.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I'm surprised that Purifi hasn't switched to GaN FETs or SiC MOSFETs transistor technology for their amplifiers, so much higher switching frequencies could be achieved.

Yeah but for what purpose?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Just because I can :). I will probably never hear the difference. :)
If you've got a little
Why not a lot?
Add a bit and it'll
Get to be an oodle
Every jot and tittle
Adds to the pot—
Soon you've got the kit
As well as the caboodle—

(Madonna - Breathless)

roog

Forum Donor
My dream is that Purifi at some point launches some plate amps so ppl and manufacturers could integrate them into active speakers
Agreed, and it would make DIY packaging easier still.

OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
My dream is that Purifi at some point launches some plate amps so ppl and manufacturers could integrate them into active speakers

I am sure they will. And these amps will allow proper inclusion of the speaker in the feedback loop. Give them time: they are still a small shop at the moment, they do not have a huge R&D department.

fcracer

Forum Donor
I am sure they will. And these amps will allow proper inclusion of the speaker in the feedback loop. Give them time: they are still a small shop at the moment, they do not have a huge R&D department.
My gosh, imagine the improvements! It reminds me of the leap forward we saw with car suspensions when they went from manual to active, with sensors tracking every movement and using that data to feedback to the system for real time adjustments.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Claus told me 4μV (IIUC) noise (A weighted), and I saw the THD+N diagram. I told him the proper adjective was “ludicrous” and, well, he admitted it sort of was…

I am attaching the THD+N diagram to this post.
Wow these measurements are crazy! Bruno has outdone himself. 2nd gen Eigentakt indeed.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its name says that it's first gen: 1ET9040BA ;)
I think A is for amplifier only.

They called 2nd gen themselves as per the invitation below.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1685005641795.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685005641795.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 312

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The SINAD ~117 dB at 5W into 4 ohms itself is excellent but not record breaking as we have AHB2 and LA90D a few dBs higher. It's just the base noise floor.

The stunning part is how it keeps going lower and lower to the knee parts at -120 to -130 dB "top DAC" level, still with very high power even at 2 ohms!

Again this may be all very much inaudible, but this is the best I have ever seen in any class or at any price.

Edit: reminds me of Rimac Nevera performance breaking 23 world records on the same day. Hopefully the module will not cost millions. :)

Edit 2: like the Truthear Zero Red, I was already expecting the distortion to be low but not THAT low!

Edit 3: @RandomEar could you please add it to the consolidated graph you created? Thanks!

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

I don't believe it. 4uV residual is seriously at the level of a half decent D/A converter.

And exactly what are we looking at outside their brick-wall 20kHz? A weighting means -10dB down at 20kHz and -10 to -50dB below 1kHz down to mains harmonics.

UNWTD is where we are at. ASR is all un-weighted.

Last edited:
OP
M

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I don't believe it. 4uV residual is seriously at the level of a half decent D/A converter.

And exactly what are we looking at outside their brick-wall 20kHz? A weighting means -10dB down at 20kHz and -10 to -50dB below 1kHz down to mains harmonics.

UNWTD is where we are at. ASR is all un-weighted.

I may have heard wrong, but the Topping LA90 I think achieves 2μV.

Top Bottom