• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

Eric.D

Purifi updated their website, the spec sheet is now downloadable, and the status of this driver is now 'new' instead of 'preview'.

Maybe we can see this being tested in the future? @hardisj

Imagine a floorstand/big monitor with 2x this and a well-designed tweeter :)
PTT8.0X-front-perspective-trans-440x440-1-315x315.png

PTT8.0X04-NAB-01-SPL_2.83Vrms_F2.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the larger one looks rather fine... The smaller ones (4'',5.25'') are kinda disgusting lol
True, it is less egregious. Let's wait and see what the off-axis looks like. That will determine if and how it could be used in a 2-way.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
This is approaching subwoofer territory... YES!!!

thulle

This is approaching subwoofer territory... YES!!!
Just 20 of these for a total of $15k to match 2 18" woofers ;)

The surround still looks like shit though... Outstanding performance once again though.

Maybe I've been subconsciously seduced by the distortion figures, but I kinda like the quirkyness of it. Subtle but noticeably unique, with great technical reasons behind it.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, missed that one. So best stary below 2 Khz, which is to be expected from an 8" woofer. Several waveguided tweeters will match this just fine.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think the larger one looks rather fine... The smaller ones (4'',5.25'') are kinda disgusting lol

Yes, you're right, the larger one looks somewhat better for sure. By the time they get to a 12" or 15" it'll look quite attractive...

Valhalla

Finally! This can be a good candidate for an updated LX521 tough the surroundings still remeinsces me my late grandma's artificial teeth, but that's toleratable taking the performance into consideration :)

Jmsent

Finally! This can be a good candidate for an updated LX521 tough the surroundings still remeinsces me my late grandma's artificial teeth, but that's toleratable taking the performance into consideration :)
Where would these be suitable in LX521? The only 8" is the lower midrange, and while this one may work, the ultra long throw is not needed. Besides that, the LM driver has already been updated to a new magnesium cone design with very low distortion.
https://linkwitz.store/product/linkwitz-22mg/

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
Eric.D

Eric.D

Maybe an upgrade to replace the 8c front (and back) woofer? Will it fit?
I doubt this driver is suitable for a 3-way speaker like the 8c. Its strong suit is playing both mid and bass with low distortion. So this driver should be better of with a 2/2.5-way speaker.

or maybe I'm wrong ;)

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The surround still looks like shit though... Outstanding performance once again though.
Have to agree with this.
Although I have never been one to care much about how an audio component looks. This is one driver that is just begging for a speaker Grill.
Other than that, appears to be a very competent driver, one in which DIYERS are going to go bananas for.

OWC

Hoping to see some independent (Klippel) measurements again .
Although to be very honest, it will probably perform very well, so it's not that interesting to see the data.
More just to see how consistent manufactures are (or aren't).

I doubt if this will be a major upgrade for an 8C to be honest.
The audibility of distortion in lower frequencies is very limited.
In case of an 8C, I would rather recommend investing in some (two) additional subwoofers in the room.

OWC

I agree, that's with all of those Purifi woofers, mostly because they seem to be very worried about IMD distortion because of the change of Sd, as well as getting the surround dip under control. I think it looks absolutely horrible.

Outstanding performance, but one of the worst performance to price ratios.
I can come up with multiple ideas to get similar results for a fraction of the price.
They are extremely good in one niche; when it has to be (very) small and there is no space for extra (bigger) subwoofers.
I have seen quite some designs who still manage to mess everything up in a poorly constructed crossover or other additional things.

Top Bottom