• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

D!sco

The 6.5" mid is clearly more specific but not without interest. It seems intended to cover a 200Hz-2200Hz (high and smooth fr without distorsion) Give a 12" woofer, this mid and a waveguided tweeter to a good designer and I am all in. But I agree, it is maybe less a game changer than the midwoofers. If you need a waveguide tweeter, I suggest you give a look to somasonus.net (augerpro) free designs.
Yeah, they're super rad. I just can't see a manufacturer taking a 3D printed waveguide to heart, and it makes me think they're assuming worst practices. If they made a tweeter/waveguide series to match their woofers I'd be more inclined to take that to heart, certainly. I'm not impressed by their OEM implementations with third-party AMTs, however.

YSDR

And I’m Santa Claus.

Imagine that stiff paper surround when the cone is moving a total of 4cm, almost 2” without tearing itself apart…
The surround of pro sound woofers are not paper. They are usually multi-rolled polycotton, developed for driver surround.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That being said, imagine combining the 8" with the bombastic 3" dome midrange of Neumann KH310 / KH420 fame.
Exactly why I'm more excited about potential future purifi 10 or 12" woofers, or high efficiency woofers... for me the perfect ultra high performance 3" midrange dome already exists, BlieSMa M74B-6, first 3" beryllium dome since Yamaha NS1000M, that makes 2 total in existence.

This and their CVD diamond tweeter (never seen off axis so clean) really makes me want to start a journey towards KH420 clone but with sota drivers and sota amps for every driver.

bigjacko

I have not compare hard enough between purifi 6.5 and 8 inch, but first glance made me think the distortion at bass is not impressive compare to 6.5 inch. The high frequency is not as clean as well. The price is a big step up at 640. I doubt any company will use this driver in a commercial way, of course doesn't apply to diy cause they just want it.....

changster

I have not compare hard enough between purifi 6.5 and 8 inch, but first glance made me think the distortion at bass is not impressive compare to 6.5 inch. The high frequency is not as clean as well. The price is a big step up at 640. I doubt any company will use this driver in a commercial way, of course doesn't apply to diy cause they just want it.....

If you haven't looked hard how did you make these conclusions?

A bigger driver will have lower distortion at lower frequencies and not have as much clean extension at the high frequencies. That's just how it is.

Ra1zel

I doubt any company will use this driver in a commercial way
Funny thing to say when this driver still beats anything commercially available in the same size (if your goal is not high sensitivity)

Ra1zel

Waiting for 8in but as a midrange with hopefully 93+ dB sens

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Banning people for ***t like this does nothing to help the hobby or the ways newcomers/outsiders view the hobby. Just stop being so small minded and welcome any and all contributions to your forum. Its what the internet was made for.
I've been online buddies with Erin since like parts express days, and it's honestly a bit annoying to me that he got banned. If anything it diminishes ASR. The mission stated by amir here is to create a culture of audio testing that improves manufacturer practices. Erin has been leading the charge with that along with ASR. Now LTT is joining the fray. Amir doesn't make any money. I don't think Erin does either. It just seems petty.

I mean it's not my website so whatever, but it seems needlessly territorial.
The rationale for this decision was discussed in great detail in this thread: (page 17; post #333 for the next several pages). Just FYI!

Let’s not further derail this Thread with this topic and take any further comment you wish to make to the above linked thread please.

changster

I ordered 4 of these 8's to use as midbass drivers for my two cars. Can't wait!

The plan is to run them infinite baffle, high passed at around 40-50 depending on the subwoofer integration.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I ordered 4 of these 8's to use as midbass drivers for my two cars. Can't wait!

The plan is to run them infinite baffle, high passed at around 40-50 depending on the subwoofer integration.

Did they (T/S) model good for that?

changster

Did they (T/S) model good for that?

Yup. IB applications love xmax, and there're no other driver better (that I know of) than the Purifi for clean excursion.

Plus, it's a fully active system with a DSP crossed over at least an octave higher than Fs.

changster

@changster so the ScanSpeak wu18 was also modelled?

Yes. I've also modeled a bunch of others. In the end, you can't really model the car's transfer function. Well you can but it's not worth the trouble. Just gotta try it and see. Currently in the car as midbass drivers are the Focal Utopia 8WM also in IB.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rationale for this decision was discussed in great detail in this thread: (page 17; post #333 for the next several pages). Just FYI!

Let’s not further derail this Thread with this topic and take any further comment you wish to make to the above linked thread please.
Noted; I think it's a shame but I believe Amir's position is reasonable.
Yes. I've also modeled a bunch of others. In the end, you can't really model the car's transfer function. Well you can but it's not worth the trouble. Just gotta try it and see. Currently in the car as midbass drivers are the Focal Utopia 8WM also in IB.
What kind of car, out of curiosity?

changster

77687CFA-08F3-4406-B700-F0BF92C811F8.jpeg
Getting closer…

D!sco

...I feel like one of us is missing something. Where are the cones??

Top Bottom