• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Pioneer and Onkyo Receivers announced with Dirac

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Vasr

Major Contributor
I don't think the licensing economics will allow Dirac to appear on any but their highest end units if included in price.

More likely would be the equivalent of PC bundleware. You get a very limited and/or crippled version with option to unlock full functionality by direct payment to Dirac. More of a symbiotic co-marketing agreement.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like Dirac is only on two of the Onkyo models. Dirac would be a good way to differentiate Pioneer Elite receivers from their lesser Pioneer brethren. As a longtime Elite owner I am looking forward to an Elite receiver with class-d amplification and Dirac.

Martin

iLoveCats

It looks like Dirac is only on two of the Onkyo models. Dirac would be a good way to differentiate Pioneer Elite receivers from their lesser Pioneer brethren. As a longtime Elite owner I am looking forward to an Elite receiver with class-d amplification and Dirac.

Martin
Thats a good idea. Pioneer Elite used to mean something. Theres a ton of equity in the Pioneer Elite name for me. I used to be in awe of Pioneer everything, especially the TV's.

Steve356

I thought that Onkyo and Pioneer were on the verge of bankruptcy. Is that no longer true?

Koloth

If only they had a more competent streaming solution on-board than DTS Play-Fi :'(

Well, still, mustn't keep moving the goalposts: A well-measuring class D AV-amp with Dirac below 5'000 is what I've been waiting for. Maybe it'll be among these :)

OP
D

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two Onkyo and two Pioneer units will feature Dirac Live,
here the prices:
https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-and-pioneers-2021-receivers-back-in-black-with-8k-video/
Great to see major brands jumping in on Dirac. Previous the cheapest Dirac receiver was the NAD T758 V3 @ $1500. Now we have 2 receivers @ $899 and $999. I see none list them as 7.2.4 (4 heights). Does this mean they don’t support 4 height channels, or just require an extra amp to run the other 2 height speakers?

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to a replacement for my aging class-D SC-LX801 with Dirac. The VSX-LX505 doesn’t cut it.

Martin

Flak

Industry Insider
Hi Flak ! Thanks for sharing that link.

Could you provide us with more details like if they are Bass Control compatible ? Or how many taps per channel available ?

Hi @tecnogadget
we are under NDA so I cannot disclose details but you may contact the US distributor:
https://11tradingcompany.com/
(unfortunately, I don't know who's the Spanish one)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just browsing what news of April 2018 on this site.

Chinese company TCL to own Pioneer and Onkyo Brands Outside Japan!
https://onkyo.com/countryselector/whats_new/2018_0501.html

It mentions using their sales network in China, as TCL has a stronger foothold. The same can‘t be said for the USA, where Pioneer is vastly more recognized (mostly from car audio, but still). It also doesn‘t mention AVRs

With this business alliance, Onkyo expects to expand business utilizing the sales network of TCL Multimedia in markets that Onkyo has not sufficiently penetrated, such as China. Onkyo also anticipates the market development of related products, such as sound bars in the TV market where TCL Multimedia excels. This will enable the prospect of sustainable growth in the AV business.

2. Content of business alliance
Global sales expansion of Onkyo brand products of headphones, sound bars and mini components, based on a long-term partnership and license agreement, utilizing sales channels of TCL Multimedia

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will depend if the June 25th shareholder meeting will approved the sale of Onkyo to Voxx.

Flak

Industry Insider
"HDTVTest (YouTube) one of the original reviewers to discover last year's HDMI 2.1 bug, has successfully reviewed an Onkyo TX-RZ50, which easily passed an Xbox Series X game at 4K/120Hz with HDR. Looks like Onkyo is the first to prove a fully functional HDMI 2.1 AVR"

From here: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/b...e-agreement-to-acquire-onkyo.8827/#post-68213
where you'll also find the video with the review

:) Flavio

Top Bottom