• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Pioneer and Onkyo Receivers announced with Dirac

Flatlander

"HDTVTest (YouTube) one of the original reviewers to discover last year's HDMI 2.1 bug, has successfully reviewed an Onkyo TX-RZ50, which easily passed an Xbox Series X game at 4K/120Hz with HDR. Looks like Onkyo is the first to prove a fully functional HDMI 2.1 AVR"

From here: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/b...e-agreement-to-acquire-onkyo.8827/#post-68213
where you'll also find the video with the review

:) Flavio
They promised that this model will have 7 inputs with the bandwidth of 40 Gb/s but Vincent says there are just three 40 GB/s inputs and four other ones are only 24 Gb/s. Three is enough for me but it's still dissapionting.

Flak

Industry Insider

Flak

Industry Insider
So it’s only 2.1 Dirac? For the money that was to be expected I guess..

No :)

they refer to the fact that those AVRs offer Dirac Live (the latest 3.x) and 2.1 HDMI without bugs...
first AV receivers that could do 4K 120Hz HDR VRR with the Xbox Series X, the Sony PS5 & NVidia's RTX 30 Series graphics cards without needing a separate convertor box, a hardware board change or a later firmware update:

mosco

There is no model with Auro 3D? Could there be an update? It is a disappointment for stereo music playback

hmt

I would be happy when it is transparent enough, it does not reach perfection (and probably won't be es good). I would be very interested in the crossover slopes. THX AVRs always use an asymmetric slope (12db BW for the mains and 24 db LR for the sub. That would be unfortunate as most speakers used are not sealed. 24 db LR on both sides would be optimal (like for example the NADs or Monoprice do).

GeorgeBynum

From AVS today, no source cited by the poster;
1624824221908.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Magnus0322

Are there any reviews for that AVR?
The only one I've seen so far was from HDTVTest on YouTube which was posted earlier on this thread. He didn't talk about the audio only the HDMI 2.1 features working completely. Even the Denon / Marantz HDMI 2.1 bug fix didn't fix everything so it's good to see Onkyo nailed it right out of the box

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It look like an updated TX-RZ840.
New HDMI board, new DAC (brand?) and Dirac live implemented in software.
Should be good as the TX-RZ840 was appreciated on the user forums.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the 810 and 840 used AKM AK4458 DAC chips. Wonder what this new AVR will use...

Ata

Forum Donor
Regarding DACs at these price points, it is likely it will be the AK4458, if Onkyo has secured supply, or ES9007 as per Yamaha's AxA AVRs. I would be pleasantly surprised if they opt for the higher end ES90x8xx. You don't need to look much further past the old school limited front display on today's AVR to understand how bill-of-materials budget-limited today's products are.

On a separate note, does anyone know if the DIRAC room correction on these units limited to 500 Hz as it is on NADs and other existing receivers, or full range? Would one need to buy an upgrade to go full-range?

Last edited:
Top Bottom