• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Optical Ethernet Streamer from Sonore: SystemOptique (SOPT)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of their line is basically just a bunch of very expensive streaming end-points with a lot of constraints.

If one is vaguely familiar with networking issues, one knows that most of what they claim could happen just doesn't happen (unless there is a severe hardware/design issue).

In some ways, introducing additional shielded cables, transceivers, power supplies could create issues. If one is concerned by shields carrying or creating ground loops, one can always use Cat 5 UTP. Assuming really bad designs bleeding and carrying all kinds of awful "noise", Cat 5 UTP will be immune (or stop working per spec if overwhelmed)

Their product descriptions can be translated as "some bunch of idiots started tweaking, can we sell them something?"

What should we trust?

Amir measuring the base item and finding, at best, no difference

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-sonore-microrendu-v1-4.1867/

or from their review pages (among many other pearls)

Steven Plaskin said, "Doug MacLeod’s reference recording Exactly Like This never sounded better to me when played with the microRendu.

Now, I am not saying that people don't have issues with networking (especially wireless these days) or that there aren't awful unsafe components but the best option is either to learn a bit about networking or to replace the problematic component with one of the very cheap options available...

OP
Olli

Olli

Forum Donor
I know what you mean - no audible difference with or without a MR.

BUT: It is actually a very nice device if you want to separate your roon core from a roon endpoint, specifically if you want this endpoint to be able to output multi channel sound. This is my use case and that is why I like this product.

Wrt tweaks - here’s the base idea: https://www.audiostream.com/content/electrically-isolate-your-networked-audio

I’ve tried this and again couldn’t here a difference; still, it can be a nice way to connect network stuff over some distance with really small cables. The question though still remains: Is it measurable?

Remember that Amir was surprised to see measurable differences in USB cables: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-wireworld-starlight-7-usb-cable.6599/

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know what you mean - no audible difference with or without a MR.
BUT: It is actually a very nice device if you want to separate your roon core from a roon endpoint, specifically if you want this endpoint to be able to output multi channel sound. This is my use case and that is why I like this product.

Ah, yes, when it comes to features, when you need them, you need them. :) I was in a similar situation when I bought the Linn preamp/streamer. Not really cheap either. And of course, some of the needs disappeared over the years... Probably would not buy it today, just because there are more cost effective options.

What I was mostly reacting to was their irritating marketing material. They are really exploiting people's insecurities in networking issues. And the reviews are priceless: all the clichés, except maybe the wife walking in... :facepalm:

And yes, I have seen Amir's test... I am not worried by differences at -150 dB (as I am sure you aren't) and yes, the Amazon cable might be picking up some interference the other cable doesn't pick. As far as Ethernet is concerned, that would be irrelevant at the logical level until it reaches a point that interferes with the physical transmission.

BillG

Major Contributor
Interesting approach - has anyone measured Optical fibre vs LAN?: https://www.sonore.us/systemoptique.html

I'm just going to be blunt about it: many of us here work in Information Technology professionally, and we wouldn't go near this stuff when configuring networks for multi-million and multi-billion dollar companies, as it's totally unnecessary for accurate, trouble free data transmission. We'd stick to reputable off-the-shelf components from well known network component manufacturers.

Digital audio is merely data, and there's nothing extraordinary required to transport it.

These so-called audiophile networking products are a rip off. Period.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Audiophile marketing at its finest. "My multi-k$ product is so awesome it needs an equally awesome expensive interconnect solution to work well" instead of "my multi-k$ product is so awesome it works with any reasonable interconnect like it should".

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting approach - has anyone measured Optical fibre vs LAN?

We use fibers both on WAN and LAN. On a LAN they start to be usefully above 10GB/s commonly 40GB/s to x100GB/s.
Audio with 48 channels fits easily into 1GB/s. No prb whatsoever on copper cat5 cables. When copying large amounts of datas over the network you can get some errors which are not trapped by the error correction built into TCP. A few bits per petabytes can happen.

My advise is to stick to normal switches with copper cables. A 8 port 1GB/s cost around 30$ (Netgear or similar). Like audio that's a very mature market. If you want an AVB switch it s a bit more expensive.

Optical cables can be easier to physically install betweens rooms and then they could make sense.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom