• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Olympus OM-1

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/om-system-om-1.html

Revered model designation from the past paired with a purely modern camera design: Familiar 20 megapixel resolution, but with faster sensor readout afforded by newly developed Sony sensor. Faster autofocus and what-not as expected from a new flagship camera, but new quad-core (ARM?) CPU + speedy sensor are also being utilized for greater computational imaging power with new 50 mp handheld (!) pixel-shift mode and Auto ND (auto HDR), making OM-1 a shift towards considering parameters like sensor resolution and dynamic range as user adjustments rather than hard limitations. For me, kind of intriguing.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/om-system-om-1.html

Revered model designation from the past paired with a purely modern camera design: Familiar 20 megapixel resolution, but with faster sensor readout afforded by newly developed Sony sensor. Faster autofocus and what-not as expected from a new flagship camera, but new quad-core (ARM?) CPU + speedy sensor are also being utilized for greater computational imaging power with new 50 mp handheld (!) pixel-shift mode and Auto ND (auto HDR), making OM-1 a shift towards considering parameters like sensor resolution and dynamic range as user adjustments rather than hard limitations. For me, kind of intriguing.
Looks very nice.

The OM-1 film camera was game changer and source of delight for me when I trade in my Pentax Spotmatic to get one circa 1975. Lighter, smaller, easier handling than the several SLRs I had previously. I subsequently acquired in OM-2 and an OM-2Sprogram. I never did go so far as an OM-4 which were quite pricey at the time.

Today I'm pretty committed to my Fujifilm X cameras & lenses. Something I like about the Fujis their rather retro design with more dials and switches than most mirrorless models.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's nice to see OM Digital investing in the Olympus camera brand with an impressive new model and lenses. Interesting that they have opted out of the pixel count race and are concentrating on other aspects of performance rather than just adding more pixels to give them an easy marketing hook, it's one of those funny things that most people realise the pixel count thing is a bit silly for most users in the real world yet it still helps sell cameras. There is still mileage in the 4/3 format as not only are bodies compact, so are the lenses. As with Gorgonzola I use a Fujifilm X mount camera but was very close to going with the Olympus M-5 iii. The original OM-1 (which started life as simply the M-1) is a true classic, an icon of the camera world. It's still a sought after camera, the Zuiko lenses remain excellent.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
A far step from my old OM-10... I have a Canon 6D (the original) that has never really been used. It came the day we were evacuating from a wildfire and somehow between life and work and everything else I just never got it out.

Roland68

Major Contributor
It's nice to see OM Digital investing in the Olympus camera brand with an impressive new model and lenses. Interesting that they have opted out of the pixel count race and are concentrating on other aspects of performance rather than just adding more pixels to give them an easy marketing hook, it's one of those funny things that most people realise the pixel count thing is a bit silly for most users in the real world yet it still helps sell cameras. There is still mileage in the 4/3 format as not only are bodies compact, so are the lenses. As with Gorgonzola I use a Fujifilm X mount camera but was very close to going with the Olympus M-5 iii. The original OM-1 (which started life as simply the M-1) is a true classic, an icon of the camera world. It's still a sought after camera, the Zuiko lenses remain excellent.
They have never retired from the higher resolution/pixel count race. They've only gone down the Hi Res Shot route since the E-M5 MK II.
So far, 50/80M (8160 × 6120/10368 × 7776) were possible from a tripod, even with a flash.
Apparently, the new OM-1 can now also do the Hi-Res shot freehand up to 50M.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's an interesting product and Pro Capture seems to be the killer app to make it a monster for wild animal / action photography. If you're a hardcore birder this seems like a strong deal. But the 'pro' end of action photog is as much about support as it is tech, and Oly just isn't there; Sony's been trying for years to break this market and have only recently succeeded, and Sony's enormous.

My questions would be:
- What does this camera say about a future OM-5 (or even PEN) product? I don't really see anything the OM-1 introduces that appears to translate well to smaller / more casual bodies and their users. And impressive as the sensor may be, downmarket consumers are not going to be as understanding of a lower megapixel number.
- How well does the m43 lens market survive and thrive without (assuming) Panasonic?

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My questions would be:
- What does this camera say about a future OM-5 (or even PEN) product? I don't really see anything the OM-1 introduces that appears to translate well to smaller / more casual bodies and their users. And impressive as the sensor may be, downmarket consumers are not going to be as understanding of a lower megapixel number.
- How well does the m43 lens market survive and thrive without (assuming) Panasonic?
Good questions.

Regarding the pro market, I was under the impression that it's never really been a moneymaker for anyone, except in the sense of the "halo effect" luring well-to-do amateurs to buy premium product.

I don't know whether OM-1 needs to be any particular harbinger of future EM5/EM10/Pen cameras, except in the general sense of technology eventually trickling down as chip prices fall. But with OM-1, they are targeting the serious enthusiast who has both the desire for the latest technology, and the willingness to pay a premium for it.

As for the future of M43, who knows? But I was surprised to find that in the mirrorless market, OM is #3, behind Sony and Canon.

Roland68

Major Contributor
It's an interesting product and Pro Capture seems to be the killer app to make it a monster for wild animal / action photography. If you're a hardcore birder this seems like a strong deal. But the 'pro' end of action photog is as much about support as it is tech, and Oly just isn't there; Sony's been trying for years to break this market and have only recently succeeded, and Sony's enormous.

My questions would be:
Do you know all the possibilities and functions that Olympus has introduced since the first E-M5?
These are no longer listed separately for the OM-1.

But especially for action and wildlife, it's a huge advantage that when shooting freehand you only have to work with the shutter speed required for the movement of the object and not with the focal length.
Thanks to the stabilization technology, handheld shots at 400-600mm (35mm equivalent) at 1/50 or 1/100 (or even less down to 1/2) are no problem. You can also find sharp shots shot at 2000mm (35mm equivalent) at 1/640 handheld.
In addition, the system weight is less than 2700g (camera, telephoto lens, converter) with a focal length of 2000mm (35mm equivalent).

With regard to the high resolution of today's sensors, however, it must also be said that many lenses, even current ones, cannot transfer the resolution.
So what good is a 30M or 50M sensor if I only get 25M optically with some lenses?
This has two advantages for Olympus, firstly, most lenses deliver the resolution (it's also easier with small lenses) and secondly, it also has a direct effect on your High Res Shot technology.

As written, the high-res shot from a tripod has been available with 50M and 80M since the introduction of the E-M5 MK II. In a direct comparison, the images were just as sharp or sharper than images from the cameras with 50M and 80M sensors, since the Olympus lens does not limit the high resolution.
The OM-1 should now also be able to do 50M hands-free, I'm really looking forward to testing it.

The extensive functions, such as macro stacking, various exposure brackets and stacking functions, compensation of converging lines in architectural photography, advanced IS functions for all lenses (including old manual ones), manual focusing including a 14x magnifying glass, the list is simply too long. ..

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The extensive functions, such as macro stacking, various exposure brackets and stacking functions, compensation of converging lines in architectural photography, advanced IS functions for all lenses (including old manual ones), manual focusing including a 14x magnifying glass, the list is simply too long. ..

They don't spell out that stuff any more because other brands have these or similar features. I agree with your other points, like IS and lightweight superteles helping to make the OM-1 a birding monster - but that's a very specific niche.

Good questions.

Regarding the pro market, I was under the impression that it's never really been a moneymaker for anyone, except in the sense of the "halo effect" luring well-to-do amateurs to buy premium product.

I don't know whether OM-1 needs to be any particular harbinger of future EM5/EM10/Pen cameras, except in the general sense of technology eventually trickling down as chip prices fall. But with OM-1, they are targeting the serious enthusiast who has both the desire for the latest technology, and the willingness to pay a premium for it.

As for the future of M43, who knows? But I was surprised to find that in the mirrorless market, OM is #3, behind Sony and Canon.

I wouldn't underestimate how effective the 'halo effect' of having 'big name' pros using your photo gear is.

I have to suspect for the camera line to survive, they need a downmarket body and driving purchase of lower-end lenses. Consumers are very sensitive to advertised megapixel numbers, whether they're relevant or not, and when the old camera is 20Mpx and the new camera is 20Mpx a lot of people will assume the new camera is no better. I think there's a lot of appeal in a combo sized like an EM-5 and reasonable travel lens, and I think you'll get a lot better pictures than just with a phone - but you have to convince mass-market buyers of that. And I don't think it's an issue of chip cost coming down - the advantages of a stacked 20mpx sensor just don't seem to translate to a general consumer camera, not in the way a Best Buy shopper will get.

The computational features are nice but none of the camera vendors will ever compete on algorithms or ease of use with Google and Apple. You have to play up the superiority of the hardware and show it lets you get shots you otherwise can't.

At least in Western markets people really seem to like looking like they're shooting with a film camera - even if they've never touched a film camera in their lives - and again I think m4/3's lens sizing helps here. Oly also has experience with filters similar to Fuji's film simulations, that also seem to have a lot of appeal, if they're tweakable and avoid the Instagram end of the pool. The OM-1 is not that product but I wonder if OM could find success with such a product.

I Googled around for the 'OM is #3' data point and found the BCM study but keep in mind the methodology is a bit off and the Japanese market itself is weird (see here.)

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to suspect for the camera line to survive,they need a downmarket body and driving purchase of lower-end lenses. Consumers are very sensitive to advertised megapixel numbers, whether they're relevant or not, and when the old camera is 20Mpx and the new camera is 20Mpx a lot of people will assume the new camera is no better.
Nikon and OM both seem to think that there are other, more emotional reasons why a person might want to buy a camera, reasons not particularly driven by features/$:

As for computational imaging, Apple is doing some great stuff in that space. But iPhone isn't my favorite camera.

Offler

Been using system consisting of:
OMD EM-5 Mark III
M. Zuiko 12-40 F2,8 - all round zoom
Lumix GX 35-100 F2,8 II - tele/photowalk lens
Lumix DG (Leica) 25mm F1.4 II - nifty fifty and a backup lens
Olympus FL-700WR

Sensor in my M5MkIII is already 8 years old, so I was looking for an upgrade, and for about one year I am already on a verge of going full pro with my gear. M5MkIII is the only "semi" part because it has just single SD card slot, but in terms of image quality its same as the top models.

Getting OM-1 or even M1 mark II or mark III would be an upgrade for me, but i am still hesitant. Comparison:

Also check Image quality tab. Aside that DPreview used incorrect White Balance, i really dont see much of an improvement in terms of noise on higher ISO. On other hand, when i compared it with Canon 5D Mark IV, where was some noise improvement, it wasnt night and day difference as I am sometimes told.

Top Bottom