• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann NDH30 coming

Makahl

Interesting, they chose zero pinna gain for the headphone, following a tradicional descending slope of the MLP from speakers in a room.

Just to avoid people being misled by this comment, the measurements from Headphonecheck test are using a Neumann KU100, the KU100 does not have ear canal simulators and therefore does not deliver accurate results. As you can see:

AoepqVt.png

It's basically a flat plate rig. The difference between the two headphones as measured on the KU100 will not be the same as when measured on a standard GRAS measurement rig. The KU100 is simply not made for headphone measurements, it's made for binaural recordings.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think Neumann either does not have enough talents to build excellent headphones, or they just decided to do everything with little efforts.
No marketing, no community shake-ups, no swift responses, rumors of re-using parts from other (Sennheiser) headphones.... Hope they prove me wrong

Makahl

I think Neumann either does not have enough talents to build excellent headphones,
If you're concerned about talents, Axel Grell was part of the team that designed the NDH 30 (source). He was the guy behind the HD6X0 and HD800.

No marketing, no community shake-ups
That's just a different STP (Segmentation, Targeting, Positioning). Neumann's focus is pro audio instead of audiophiles/casuals. On youtube, you'll see there are a lot of talks about the NDH 30 but it comes from studio oriented channels.

rumors of re-using parts from other (Sennheiser) headphones....
Even if they have similar DNA that doesn't mean much. In addition, you have to consider earphones and headphones as an acoustic system versus just the transducer. There are so many other variables besides the transducer and its tuning, all of which affect the resulting sound (coupling, resonators, materials, nozzle scope, filters, back volumes, and so on. Even the most minute difference can wildly influence the output.

A good analogy is an automotive engine, where its performance can be tuned individually, but the overall experience of driving the car is affected by tires, weight distribution, transmission, feedback, stance, etc. For example, the Audi TT and VW Atlas use the VW MQB platform but are entirely different vehicles.

WTW

Neumann 发出有缺陷的耳机并不是一件好事。NDH30 是我希望成为改进的 HD8## 以扣动扳机的那个。
sadly to say the old senn was gone, a new senn seems like don't care about hifi(where is my super hd900).

jae

Major Contributor
Looks decent... may still try it but quite frankly expected better. It is crazy how to this day HD600/650 with EQ is still virtually one of the best options (and at only $200-270 for a 6xx...) without paying $4000+ for a dan clark stealth or audeze lcd-5. The only other cans I would consider using other than those are some of the other Dan Clark models like aeon2/noire or aeon RT models but these also require EQ. And I am not a fan of closed back. If I was forced to use a budget closed back it would probably be the k371.

Makahl

55.png

55d.png

Indeed. Using the L channel that has more "ear" gain against the Oratory's AVG HD600 response, take that with a good amount of salt. I'd expect more sub-bass and a healthy downward slopping treble compared to the HD600.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
oratory posted measurements of the new unit on a private server.
the right side of his first sample is broken. Left is how the NDH-30 is supposed to measure.

Top Bottom