• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann NDH30 coming

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just speaking from a logical perspective. If the ear canal gain is such a huge variable won’t it be smart to not account for it? I mean the ear canal simulator may not match how my actual ear canal treat the gain. So I cannot have an actual data point I can rely on. If say KU100 is taken as a standard, I would be able to correlate a graph mapped using KU100 for a headphone and what I hear and perceive according to my ear canal.
Yes, and you don't have to compensate for it (hence why it is suited for binaural recordings) and not that different from a Jecklin disc in that aspect.

But because of pinna gain and ear-canal gain do impact how sounds from the sides of the head have some impact in the 1-6kHz range (but differ somewhat from actual humans) and we compare headphone sound with speakers, coming from the front and relatively extremely far away it makes sense to (also ?) measure using fake ear and ear-canal.

There you can use a standard fixture (which is rather limited but at least is well documented) or the 5128 which is more 'anatomically correct' but not yet well documented and a bit fiddly with positioning/leakage.

GauravT

Yes, and you don't have to compensate for it (hence why it is suited for binaural recordings) and not that different from a Jecklin disc in that aspect.

But because of pinna gain and ear-canal gain do impact how sounds from the sides of the head have some impact in the 1-6kHz range (but differ somewhat from actual humans) and we compare headphone sound with speakers, coming from the front and relatively extremely far away it makes sense to (also ?) measure using fake ear and ear-canal.

There you can use a standard fixture (which is rather limited but at least is well documented) or the 5128 which is more 'anatomically correct' but not yet well documented and a bit fiddly with positioning/leakage.
Appreciate you taking the time to explain this to a newbee.

Top Bottom