• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I hope that the reverberation time will be included. I have a very dry room, and for my taste the standard harman target curves all have too much bass (I'm not sure if it's the reverberation, though, but I think I read that somewhere). I'm curious when the MA 1 will be delivered and what result I will get.

Joaquinín

Based on measurements I've seen, the 80x0 series uses linear-phase crossovers. Other series (83x1, 82x0, 1xx8, Mxxx) appear not to.
I understand the 80x0 are all-analog designs. From what I have read, PSI Audio is the only company that uses phase compensation within the analog domain. Neumann does it digitally (in the Kh-80 and Kh-750). I have not read anything in that sense in Genelec´s website or manuals (and I have looked for it repeatedly). It would be extremely odd that, if they have that feature, it is not advertised.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand the 80x0 are all-analog designs. From what I have read, PSI Audio is the only company that uses phase compensation within the analog domain. Neumann does it digitally (in the Kh-80 and Kh-750). I have not read anything in that sense in Genelec´s website or manuals (and I have looked for it repeatedly). It would be extremely odd that, if they have that feature, it is not advertised.

I think you must have begun replying to my post just before I corrected it... ;)

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
I just downloaded the software and installed it (Windows), even if I don't have their mic. They seem to be using ASIO for input and output. I use Voicemeeter Banana, and I can see its virtual ASIO inputs in the MA-1 software. Hmmm. Maybe it will be possible to use an UMIK-1 with ASIO4ALL as ASIO input?

Edit: Of course, even if it would be possible, the UMIK-1 calibration would be useless.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
As far as i understand you have to use the same interface for microphone input and monitor output. For me that means i have to buy a Scarlett and 2 cables with jack connection...

Joaquinín

I hope that the reverberation time will be included. I have a very dry room, and for my taste the standard harman target curves all have too much bass (I'm not sure if it's the reverberation, though, but I think I read that somewhere). I'm curious when the MA 1 will be delivered and what result I will get.
Given Neumann´s background and the purpose of this monitors, their default target must be neutrality, flat response at the listener´s position. Harman´s famous target curve (elevated-fattened bass, recessed-sweetened treble) seems a good commercial tool to please the greatest number of consumers. I am not interested in additives, please give me the real sound of instruments and voices. If I get tired, I turn off the stereo and I have silence, which is a marvelous sound.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
>room-specific target curve calculated by the software

I wonder if this just means they are merely looking at the aggregate listening position FR or differentiating between direct and reflected sound in calculating it.

One would hope the latter! Given the know the directivity of the speakers, it shouldn't be too hard to surmise what the target curve should look like at different distances, though I wonder how room treatment will come into play. Could actually be a good solution for haphazardly treated rooms. I imagine there are a number of amateur studios with poorly thought out treatment, creating uneven in-room response.

Given Neumann´s background and the purpose of this monitors, their default target must be neutrality, flat response at the listener´s position. Harman´s famous target curve (elevated-fattened bass, recessed-sweetened treble) seems a good commercial tool to please the greatest number of consumers. I am not interested in additives, please give me the real sound of instruments and voices. If I get tired, I turn off the stereo and I have silence, which is a marvelous sound.

You seem to be significantly misunderstanding the Harman curve for speakers :). The Harman curve is quite literally what happens naturally when you take a speaker that is flat anechoically and has good directivity and put it into a typical room, listening from a typical distance. Targeting the Harman curve in a typical living room setup simply means targeting flat anechoically.

Put differently, if you place the Neumann KH80 or another flat speaker with good directivity in a living room, and perform a spatial average around your listening position, you will get something akin to the Harman Curve. This is how it was determined in the first place: by taking the average in-room response of the flattest speakers.

However, per the same reaearch this target should likely vary to some degree depending on listening distance and the directivity of the speakers. A wide directivity speaker could benefit from a less tilted target curve, as setups where one is listening closer to the speakers than the ~10 feet/3m used to determined the Harman curve.

Under no circumstances should a speaker be perfectly flat at the listening position, unless you are listening in an anechoic chamber.

Habu

Now we just need something to rival the Ones or at least some kind of DSP KH310.

Bonjour q3cpma,

The DSP KH310 are already here if you add the KH750DSP to the KH310 !

Take care

Habu

Mesh

I'd be really keen on this if it would work with dual KH750. If their software is set up to negotiate between the two subs, it could work... but is it? Trying to find it in the manual, but so far not seen it.

ba7777

I'd be really keen on this if it would work with dual KH750. If their software is set up to negotiate between the two subs, it could work... but is it? Trying to find it in the manual, but so far not seen it.
Yes, I am also wondering if MA 1 can deal with dual kh750. Since it will deal with 2 kh80, so IMHO it would be fine to work with kh750.
The combination of one kh750 with another analog monitor from neumann could be simply treated as a tower monitor with DSP.

Mesh

Yes, I am also wondering if MA 1 can deal with dual kh750. Since it will deal with 2 kh80, so IMHO it would be fine to work with kh750.
The combination of one kh750 with another analog monitor from neumann could be simply treated as a tower monitor with DSP.
Good point. I didn't find an obvious answer in the manual and thus far not sure who to contact when looking at their website.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Phase linearity seems to me the reason why many people says the Kh-80 DSP sound more cohesive and real than its bigger brothers (the addition of the Kh-750 DSP, though, should make those play on the same level, or even better, as it allows to skip one unnecessary A-D-A conversion which is unavoidable with the Kh-80 DSP).

i think it is not the phase because i notice that small bass speaker in 2 way system bring much more stereo width. so i have done measure tests whats the diffrence. It show that small 4 zoll speakers bring much better transients on mid range than bigger Bass speakers.i do compare a 4 Zoll Canton and a 6.5 Zoll kali in this thread . https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...li-lp-6-defect-canton-look-much-better.17854/

currently need confirm that the room influence is less. maybe more do the test with big speaker small speaker with a big room and microphone 5cm-10 cm near.
In last measure: My distance from desktop is 33 cm. then if wave go back from desktop to measure microphone is additional 40 cm. sound level meter show 78 db in this test at 10 cm distance to middle bass woofer. at 73 cm distance ,sound level meter show 65 db. so reverb influence can be 25%. but transient of Canton an much more than 25% faster as the Kali

Sure i am no audio science expert but i think this is the reason that 2 way systems with speaker larger as 4 zoll get worser transients. as can see the 4 zoll in compare to headphone(wave screenshot in linked thread) too have worse transients. the headphone test i have done make it loud and put it on desktop, ansd keep measure microphone very near. so desktop plate reflektions are much. but it can clear see, the headphone have perfect transients.
in the past i have a 8 zoll coaxial speaker tanny system 8 nfm 2. this too have much less stereo width as the canton. so my experience is coaxal do not help. or maybe 3 way coaxial speakers.

Last edited:

ba7777

Good point. I didn't find an obvious answer in the manual and thus far not sure who to contact when looking at their website.
I had sent them a email @[email protected] about this concern yesterday but no luck yet.
Will come back and update if I have their reply.

edit: quoted a wrong guy.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I had sent them a email @[email protected] about this concern yesterday but no luck yet.
Will come back and update if I have their reply.

edit: quoted a wrong guy.

That´s the email for german support. Last time i got an answer after 2 or 3 working days, i think.

ba7777

I am back with bad news.
Snipaste_2020-12-02_07-15-27.png

Top Bottom