• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1606463680977.png

The Beginning of a New Era in Monitoring
  • Calibration algorithms jointly developed with Fraunhofer IIS
  • For stereo setups with KH 80 DSP and all pairs of analog (non DSP-based) Neumann monitors using the KH 750 DSP subwoofer
  • Individually calibrated measurement microphone
  • Room adaptive target curve
  • Phase and amplitude optimization for analog Neumann monitors
  • For Mac and PC
Software seems to be free download for Windows and Mac https://en-de.neumann.com/file-finder?product=MA 1&category=monitor_accessories

1606463824740.png

More details and all specs https://en-de.neumann.com/ma-1

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I use a non-DSP KH805 sub. I'm guessing that's not a supported configuration.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the software let you change the other stuff that the control app does? IE: Does this free us from the awful iPad requirement?
Yes, it is autonomous, just needs a PC or Mac and an audio interface.
I use a non-DSP KH805 sub. I'm guessing that's not a supported configuration.
Yes.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is autonomous, just needs a PC or Mac and an audio interface.

Right, I understand, but the iPad Control app does other things to the KH80 than DSP. For example, it lets you dim or disable the LEDs. Can this app do that, without an iPad?

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, I understand, but the iPad Control app does other things to the KH80 than DSP. For example, it lets you dim or disable the LEDs. Can this app do that, without an iPad?
I didn't see such a feature in its user manual so I guess not, at least in this stage.

Joaquinín

From what I have read, Genelec doesn´t make any claims about phase correction. I understand Neumann has the edge here. Phase linearity seems to me the reason why many people says the Kh-80 DSP sound more cohesive and real than its bigger brothers (the addition of the Kh-750 DSP, though, should make those play on the same level, or even better, as it allows to skip one unnecessary A-D-A conversion which is unavoidable with the Kh-80 DSP).
This MA-1 software seems a fantastic Dirac-like solution for Neumann monitors (but we don´t know yet the price of that MA-1 mic). There is one aspect I am not 100% convinced about Neumann´s DSP: Internally it works at 32 bits/48 khz, and everything is resampled to that rate (if you think higher-sampling rates are better, this is dissapointing; Neumann claims it is best to get rid of the ultrasounds to avoid convolution effects in the drivers in the audible band). Besides, now MA-1 seems limited to just one subwoofer and stereo; I guess it´ll allow multi-channel and several subs at some point?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Very interesting! Finally there is some activity again. I hope that this time they have recognized the meaning and do not stop at announcements.

onion

GLM does correct phase for subs so that they can be aligned with the main speakers. The process is very simple and happens automatically after autocal.

The major weakness of GLM is its bass management - the ideal with multiple subs in a stereo listening room would be to have them non-aligned with each other so that they sum more evenly over the listening area. I don't think this can be done automatically in GLM - users have to play around with the sub settings manually.

Joaquinín

Sorry, I was not referring to phase alignment of subwoofers with the main speakers. Neumann´s DSP phase linearization is applied to the very monitor´s signal range (automatically in the Kh-80 DSP, or through the Kh-750 DSP with the Kh-120/310/420), correcting the phase problems inherent to speakers with 2 ways or more and their crossovers. That coherence is very valuable for me, specially with unproccessed instruments/music. I understand Genelec does not correct that.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Just saw at a German dealer that the official list price is 249€ and will be in stock in the beginning of December.

Another one suggests 299 Retail, but it´s actually on sale for 219 EUR. (Edit: Ordered one).

Last edited:

hmt

Sorry, I was not referring to phase alignment of subwoofers with the main speakers. Neumann´s DSP phase linearization is applied to the very monitor´s signal range (automatically in the Kh-80 DSP, or through the Kh-750 DSP with the Kh-120/310/420), correcting the phase problems inherent to speakers with 2 ways or more and their crossovers. That coherence is very valuable for me, specially with unproccessed instruments/music. I understand Genelec does not correct that.

Afaik mony Genelecs have linear phase crossovers anyway.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I hope the target curve takes into account the anechoic data (estimated in-room response) and isn't a flat line :)
"From the measured data, the software ascertains the room’s acoustic properties. The individual correction parameters are generated according to a room-specific target curve calculated by the software. Neumann's decades of experience in calibrating monitoring systems in studio control rooms has been incorporated into this process. Of course, you can modify the target curve to your needs. " (https://en-de.neumann.com/ma-1)

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Afaik mony Genelecs have linear phase crossovers anyway.

Based on measurements I've seen, the 803x0 series uses linear-phase crossovers. Other series (83x1, 82x0, 1xx8, Mxxx) appear not to.

EDIT: corrected typo^^

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
>room-specific target curve calculated by the software

I wonder if this just means they are merely looking at the aggregate listening position FR or differentiating between direct and reflected sound in calculating it.

Top Bottom