• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann MA 1 - Automatic Monitor Alignment

CMB

Some amateur questions from me again please :

With the MA 1, I'll get a software and a Mic (?)
To connect that Mic to my Mac mini (USB) I will need an "Audio Link" (correct please? (I am using UMIC-mic usb now))
Any "Audio link" suggestion, as I understand it should be only needed for the measurements?

"Network switch"
My Mac mini is connected Wifi to my home internet via a recent "Fritzbox"
Does that mean I would have to add another "tool" or just connect the sub via cable to the same "Network/Fritzbox" please?

Maybe on more of these, if you don't mind:
How do I connect the second Sub (from RME ADI DAC)?
Each sub having 2 analog in-chinch and 2 analog chinch-out for the speakers.
I understand the speakers have to be connected to 1 Sub.
I read about the manual saying using mono sub set-up and "Feed the source signal into both subwoofers using a Y-cable (splitter)"
Does it mean to connect 2 Y-cables (1 on L & 1 on R) out from the RME DAC and to feed each Sub with (L+R)?

Thank you for helping me to understand these basics :)

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You get a Mic. The software is available for free download. On the Mic are two numbers you have to enter to get the software working.

You need a audio interface with XLR Mic input (48V phantom power) and outputs for your monitors. You have to plug the monitors in the same device. On of the cheapest interfaces is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo for example. Sadly it doesn´t have XLR-outputs, only jack sockets, so maybe you need additional cables to plug the monitors in this device for the measurement. Also a XLR-cable for the mic is not included.

Network: You need to connect the dsp-loudspeakers (KH750 and KH80, if present) to the same network your computer is connected to. So you can connect the sub directly to the router. A switch is only needed if the router itself doesn´t have enough network-sockets.

CMB

You get a Mic. The software is available for free download. On the Mic are two numbers you have to enter to get the software working.

You need a audio interface with XLR Mic input (48V phantom power) and outputs for your monitors. You have to plug the monitors in the same device. On of the cheapest interfaces is the Focusrite Scarlett Solo for example. Sadly it doesn´t have XLR-outputs, only jack sockets, so maybe you need additional cables to plug the monitors in this device for the measurement. Also a XLR-cable for the mic is not included.

Network: You need to connect the dsp-loudspeakers (KH750 and KH80, if present) to the same network your computer is connected to. So you can connect the sub directly to the router. A switch is only needed if the router itself doesn´t have enough network-sockets.

Thank you for you help and your recommendations:
Does that mean that the Mac mini not even need to be connected to that audio interface?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the interface must be connected to the Mac via USB because the software is running on the Mac.

Reactions: CMB

CMB

Ok then :
Focusrite Scarlett Solo
  • on mac mini via usb-c (one more converter)
  • on Mic via XLR
  • on KH 750 via Jack to XLR converter

Would you maybe know how to connect actually the 2. KH 750?
Maybe on more of these, if you don't mind:
How do I connect the second Sub (from RME ADI DAC)?
Each sub having 2 analog in-chinch and 2 analog chinch-out for the speakers.
I understand the speakers have to be connected to 1 Sub.
I read about the manual saying using mono sub set-up and "Feed the source signal into both subwoofers using a Y-cable (splitter)"
Does it mean to connect 2 Y-cables (1 on L & 1 on R) out from the RME DAC and to feed each Sub with (L+R)?

Thank you very much

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think so, yes. So the second sub is getting the same signal, but the mains are plugged only into the first sub.

D

Deleted member 12642

Neumann said they have new features for the application planned for release in the "coming months", so in Neumann time that should be a few years lol. I hope they listened to me and let me turn off these damn logo's. Also suggested adding something like the Profiler on GLM, at the moment I have a gentle cut at the very top HF as they are just a bit too bright for me. Could because of my shit room though and this totally bare ceiling.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope they listened to me and let me turn off these damn logo's.

I wonder what happens if you put out or dim the logos of the KH80 with the iPad app and then use the MA 1 afterwards - are the logos bright again after the calibration or do they keep their previous state? Did someone try this yet?

Also suggested adding something like the Profiler on GLM, at the moment I have a gentle cut at the very top HF as they are just a bit too bright for me.

At the moment you could modify the target curve and for example bring the treble down a bit - doesn´t this work for you?

ba7777

Is it any possibility Neumann will have more than 1 sub supported (Not the “workaround” method) in the near future?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They said they wanted to add more features to the software and multisub support is something they are working on. But they are indeed slow and did not fulfill every promise in the past...

D

Deleted member 12642

I wonder what happens if you put out or dim the logos of the KH80 with the iPad app and then use the MA 1 afterwards - are the logos bright again after the calibration or do they keep their previous state? Did someone try this yet?

At the moment you could modify the target curve and for example bring the treble down a bit - doesn´t this work for you?

I took mine to a friends house and turned the logos off, when I got home they were back on so I guess I'm out of luck regardless.

I'm not dropping $250 on a measurement mic when I already have one and SHOULD be able to access parts of the speaker I bought without buying something else but whatever. I'm not expecting neumman to update or make any worthwhile software for me at this point. They are very much going the "do it our way or don't do it all" route which is too rich for my blood it seems.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took mine to a friends house and turned the logos off, when I got home they were back on so I guess I'm out of luck regardless.

Without changing anything the logos just came back? That makes no sense to me.

audafreak

I used first ipad, switched logos off, set the timeout for standby. Then after calibration settings for logos and standby stayed the same, only DSP and SPL settings were overwritten.
To be exact how it looks to me: DSP settings are written during final save, SPL is reset to 100dB before measurement starts. It is not overwritten during final save, so it is possible before final save start ipad N.Control, set SPL to different value, close ipad NC, save from MA1. In this case there is possible to have both DSP and SPL and logos with timeout as you need.
Workaroud but mostly works.

D

Deleted member 12642

Without changing anything the logos just came back? That makes no sense to me.

Didn't make sense to me either. They were off and settings saved to each speaker when I left, once I got home they were back to full brightness. Needless to say I was really pissed off because I guess they are just never ever getting disabled. I almost want to open the speaker and just pull the led wiring. Why do companies think we want to be blinded by their gear.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't make sense to me either. They were off and settings saved to each speaker when I left, once I got home they were back to full brightness. Needless to say I was really pissed off because I guess they are just never ever getting disabled. I almost want to open the speaker and just pull the led wiring. Why do companies think we want to be blinded by their gear.

I don´t know what happened in your case, but my friend´s KH80´s logo always stays in the last saved position (logo dimmed down) even after power has been cut off completely for weeks. Strange.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used first ipad, switched logos off, set the timeout for standby. Then after calibration settings for logos and standby stayed the same, only DSP and SPL settings were overwritten.
To be exact how it looks to me: DSP settings are written during final save, SPL is reset to 100dB before measurement starts. It is not overwritten during final save, so it is possible before final save start ipad N.Control, set SPL to different value, close ipad NC, save from MA1. In this case there is possible to have both DSP and SPL and logos with timeout as you need.
Workaroud but mostly works.

Thanks, i will try this next time with my KH750. Because i would prefer to set SPL down a bit.

D

Deleted member 12642

I'm having my friend bring his ipad over today or tomorrow to see if we can't get them turned off again and permanently.

Be super cool if I didn't have to do this lol. Come on Neumann...

D

Deleted member 12642

Well, I guess I am weak. I caved and bought the mic. I was in need of a measurement mic anyway and might as well get one that I can use for the DSP as well as other tasks. Sweetwater gave me a huge discount. Hopefully it doesn't do anything to the outgoing signal and will allow me to still use my 10" dayton sub, might buy another because hot dang this thing is killer, not just for the cost. Really makes the KH80 come alive.

Moving into the largest room of my house this week, I've had them in two small rooms so far and ugh, it's terrible. The mid bass is a mess and the low end is just nowhere to be found. It's amazing just how much rooms affect sound. These guys have no output below 140hz in my smaller rooms, but in the larger one the bass is nothing short of impressive.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully it doesn't do anything to the outgoing signal and will allow me to still use my 10" dayton sub

What outgoing signal? How is the MA 1 supposed to manage the dayton sub? I don´t understand what you are trying there.

Top Bottom