• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New near-field speaker setup for a home office? Pictures!

rcstevensonaz

Well how well a speaker is tuned, DSP or not, comes out in the measurements. Just because it has DSP doesn't mean its better.
I think his point was not that the speaker is better because it has DSP. But rather, that the DSP function within the speaker would be better (vs external DSP) because that electronic component was designed and customized to the specific characteristics of the speaker itself.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here’s mine. I have added a microphone and a webcam not shown in the picture. 7350 sub on the floor as well.

Attachments

• 2B6BE6FA-1889-4371-AF60-70178BB2A2FC.jpeg
    2B6BE6FA-1889-4371-AF60-70178BB2A2FC.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 202

engineer

@rcstevensonaz
I think his point was not that the speaker is better because it has DSP. But rather, that the DSP function within the speaker would be better (vs external DSP) because that electronic component was designed and customized to the specific characteristics of the speaker itself.
@rcstevensonaz Exactly, that's what I meant.
But to return to my question, I decide between Genelec 8020D, Neumann KH80 and Genelec 8030C. From what I've read, the 8030C is the best of these models. But does it make sense to pay extra for the 8030C compared to the 8020D or KH80?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well how well a speaker is tuned, DSP or not, comes out in the measurements. Just because it has DSP doesn't mean its better. Passive xover Genelec 8030Cs measure pretty damn well.
The 8030C has an analog active filter feeding two power amps, not a passive xover.

oversky

Hi guys, I'm tired of trying out studio monitors and I decided to go into the best of my budget (+/- 500€/piece). The use is the same as for the founder of this thread - near-field speakers for desktop PC.

My tips:
Genelec 8020DPM
Genelec 8030C
Neumann KH80
Neumann KH120H

Which model would you recommend to me with the following requirements?
1. location by the wall (approx. 15 cm),
2. minimum hiss,
3. clear and wide sound,
4. DSP - for the best possible sound correction of the room.

Note: Is it necessary to have an expensive DAC or it will also suit my Audinst HUD MX-2 when buying speakers in this price range?

Thank you very much.

3BFYMgK.png

KH120 minimum distance suggestion.
KH80 has a smaller minimum distance of 0.5 m.
For my desktop PC setup, the distance is around 0.66m.
Beyond that distance, I can't reach my keyboard and mouse comfortably.

I guess 5"in 2-way speaker need a longer distance.
But coaxial design, like Genelec 8131 or FX50 can have shorter distance.

Genelec "Correct monitors" webpage also mentions "Non recommended distance"
6Vm5uSW.png

Last edited:

rcstevensonaz

KH120 minimum distance suggestion.
KH80 has a smaller minimum distance of 0.5 m.
For my desktop PC setup, the distance is around 0.66m.
Beyond that distance, I can't reach my keyboard and mouse comfortably.

For what it is worth, my experience is that I still fall within the distance of the KH120 for my desktop environment. That is:
  • If I am actively typing and focused on intentional work, I will tend to lean inward towards the keyboard / mouse and the distance is about 30" from my ear to the speaker. Stereo sound is good-enough; but I am also not critically listening at those times either.
  • If I'm more passive (e.g., browsing, social media, doom scrolling news, etc.), I will tend to slightly lean back a bit while typing & clicking; and my ears are about 36" from the speakers. Very solid sound quality.
  • When I am more focused on the music, I'll fully lean back in chair and maybe push back a few inches from the desk; in which case, the distance closer to 48". At that point, I also tend to crank up the volume and let the music flow through me... and good luck ever prying the KH120s away from me.
For me, the larger speaker size (KH120 vs. KH80) works out great in my context.

A few other notes: the speakers are mounted on L65 stands, and spaced at a distance of 38.5" (mid-tweeter to mid-tweeter). I have a 32" monitor in between, mounted on an Ergotron arm that allows me to easily adjust how far away the monitor is. My desk is 31.5" deep, and is pulled ~3" away from from the wall. However, because of the LH65 stand, the rear of the speaker is closer to 5.5" from the wall.

Key disclaimer: I tried all of the "usual suspects" in the passive speaker category (much to the annoyance of Amazon with their free return policy) before giving up and moving to active speakers... from which I will never go back to passives for near-field listening. But, I did not try the KH80 since I knew I wanted the larger woofer, and I did not want built-in DSP; and I never tried the Genelec 8030 since they were rear-ported and I was very satisfied with the KH120A in my environment.

Walter

• If I am actively typing and focused on intentional work, I will tend to lean inward towards the keyboard / mouse and the distance is about 30" from my ear to the speaker. Stereo sound is good-enough; but I am also not critically listening at those times either.
  • If I'm more passive (e.g., browsing, social media, doom scrolling news, etc.), I will tend to slightly lean back a bit while typing & clicking; and my ears are about 36" from the speakers. Very solid sound quality.
  • When I am more focused on the music, I'll fully lean back in chair and maybe push back a few inches from the desk; in which case, the distance closer to 48". At that point, I also tend to crank up the volume and let the music flow through me
My measurements are extremely similar, including the reduced importance of SQ at the closest length. I wonder every time I see people listing really short distances, whether they actually measured from their true seating position.

rcstevensonaz

My measurements are extremely similar, including the reduced importance of SQ at the closest length. I wonder every time I see people listing really short distances, whether they actually measured from their true seating position.
I can think of some cases. For example, if the desk is shorter (eg, 26-28”), or if they cant pull the desk out a few inches and instead had to move speakers closer on the desk, etc. Also, someone who is on the short end (5’ tall vs my frame at 6’2” and 35” arm length) might also physically have fewer inches when they lean back

Walter

I can think of some cases. For example, if the desk is shorter (eg, 26-28”), or if they cant pull the desk out a few inches and instead had to move speakers closer on the desk, etc. Also, someone who is on the short end (5’ tall vs my frame at 6’2” and 35” arm length) might also physically have fewer inches when they lean back
I'm referring to people who quote distances of 18-24 inches. If they are sound engineers, or maybe even gamers, then I can understand it. It seems unlikely for relaxed listening unless they move the speakers to the very front edge of the desk (to reduce reflections?) and then lean back while their chair is pulled as far forward as possible. Just curious.

Top Bottom