• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New near-field speaker setup for a home office? Pictures!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have to make a lot of compromises just to put the PC on the desk. Instead of going to huge trouble to set up the speakers reasonably symmetrically and free of unnecessary reflections, I think it would be easier to buy longer cables for the PC and put it somewhere off to the side, such as in the corner of the room. There the lights and noise are also less distracting, but you can still see it. But of course it's your decision.

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have to make a lot of compromises just to put the PC on the desk. Instead of going to huge trouble to set up the speakers reasonably symmetrically and free of unnecessary reflections, I think it would be easier to buy longer cables for the PC and put it somewhere off to the side, such as in the corner of the room. There the lights and noise are also less distracting, but you can still see it. But of course it's your decision.

I didn't even consider this. That's not a bad idea, actually. It's gonna take a lot of new cabling, though. USB extensions (although I could work with a decent powered USB hub), long DisplayPort 1.4 cable. Definitely interesting!

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

Well, quick update: I've sold the Quad 12l's that were on my desk and replaced them with some Q Acoustics 3010's I had lying around. I've put them on their sides (bad idea, I know) but for some reason, in this very nearfield configuration, I got a bit more bass out of them this way. This is only a temporary solution, though.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-14 at 11.32.32.jpeg

I've narrowed it down to the following options:

- buy a larger desk so I can put my PC on my desk and not have to compromise on speaker size. This one hurts because I literally JUST bought this one and it was a $600 desk. :p
- use this desk, get a pair of larger monitor speakers and put the PC somewhere else in the room and use cable extenders to make it all work.
- use this desk, buy a pair or small monitors and cram everything (included the PC) on the 140x60cm surface. Currently the Eve Audio SC203, iLoud MTM and Genelec 8010a are on the shortlist.
- set fire to my office and just forget about the whole thing. Go do pottery or yoga or something.

Strongly considering the last option. :p

Iglo

Forum Donor
I would recommend not burning down the office ;-)
But getting a cabinet for your PC with some cable extenders / longer cables would make the most sense I guess.

I have roughly the same issue, 2x 27" monitors almost cover the whole desk so the speakers needed to be placed beside the desk on monitor stands (Gravity stands, which I can recommend). The PC is placed on top of a cabinet in the corner of my office, in sight but out of the way.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although in very much "budget side",,,

I highly recommend you to at least try "Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker".
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Klipsch+ProMedia+2.1+THX&ref=nb_sb_noss
I am using this in one of my offices.
Still really good and very nice sound quality in desktop category. I fully agree with this review;
https://www.audioreputation.com/klipsch-promedia-2-1/

Reasonable price, but really amazing Hi-Fi sound including the low-range from the bass unit. You may easily recognize what does "THX Certified" mean even in this type of desktop SP set. The near-field listening sound quality is comparable with some of the expensive Hi-Fi audio system, I believe.

In case if you would like to try, please make sure to select the "THX Certified version" at
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Klipsch+ProMedia+2.1+THX&ref=nb_sb_noss

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That one is almost never for sale here in The Netherlands, alas, and when a store does have it in stock, it's imported and costs $350 for the non-THX version. :(

Oh,,, very sorry to hear so! Can you directly place your order to Amazon US, even though I do not know the import custom charge for you?

I was quite lucky purchasing this in CA USA in 2017 while I was doing my research at UC San Diego in La Jolla, and I brought back it in my suitcase to Japan in late 2018, before the COVID-19 spreading...;)

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

Oh,,, very sorry to hear so! Can you directly place your order to Amazon US, even though I do not know the import custom charge for you?

I was quite lucky purchasing this in CA USA in 2017 while I was doing my research at UC San Diego in La Jolla, and I brought back it in my suitcase to Japan in late 2018, before the COVID-19 spreading...;)

Shipping and customs would make it a bit unreasonable. :) I'd rather pick up a pair of active studio monitors in EU. Thank you, though!

Linus

- use this desk, get a pair of larger monitor speakers and put the PC somewhere else in the room and use cable extenders to make it all work.

the less things on your desk, the better, no !?
that way, you can go for a pair of 8020 instead of 8010 ;)

Linus

It has nothing to do with this post, but I spent a whole summer near Takataki lake in the middle of nowhere in Ichihara. Fun times.

Iglo

Forum Donor
Shipping and customs would make it a bit unreasonable. :) I'd rather pick up a pair of active studio monitors in EU. Thank you, though!

I did read that you were looking at speakers max 18 cm wide. Potentially the Adam t5v (17.5 cm wide) could be an option for powered monitors. Fits nicely in the budget and can confirm that it works well with the E30 DAC. They are, however, quite deep (30 cm) so maybe still not ideal on the desk. But there are also many other options, I just get the Adams so the width was top of mind ;)

Milan237

Well, quick update: I've sold the Quad 12l's that were on my desk and replaced them with some Q Acoustics 3010's I had lying around. I've put them on their sides (bad idea, I know) but for some reason, in this very nearfield configuration, I got a bit more bass out of them this way. This is only a temporary solution, though.

View attachment 118318

I've narrowed it down to the following options:

- buy a larger desk so I can put my PC on my desk and not have to compromise on speaker size. This one hurts because I literally JUST bought this one and it was a $600 desk. :p
- use this desk, buy a pair or small monitors and cram everything (included the PC) on the 140x60cm surface. Currently the Eve Audio SC203, iLoud MTM and Genelec 8010a are on the shortlist.
- set fire to my office and just forget about the whole thing. Go do pottery or yoga or something.

Strongly considering the last option. :p
The last option is good, but it's too simple, if you came into the world of acoustics, then such a simple outcome is not for you!))

Milan237

I've put them on their sides (bad idea, I know) but for some reason, in this very nearfield configuration, I got a bit more bass out of them this way. This is only a temporary solution, though.
If I understand correctly, then your stands with a hard base that is bad because the vibration of the monitors through them transmitted to the table, and from the table comes to you, in such cases, it is advised to put a soft material, such as foam rubber, there are even special stands which are not so expensive and cost, I found a $ 10 for a pair.

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

If I understand correctly, then your stands with a hard base that is bad because the vibration of the monitors through them transmitted to the table, and from the table comes to you, in such cases, it is advised to put a soft material, such as foam rubber, there are even special stands which are not so expensive and cost, I found a $ 10 for a pair.

Any suggestions for the best material for decoupling desktop monitors?

test1223

+1
The stands are good to lower the desk reflection. What are you missing form the Q acoustics? Maybe some eq and subwoofer and everything is fine with them as desktop monitors? With Genelec 8010 and Eve Audio SC203 you will also have no real bass.

edit
Some rubber feet should be enough.

OP
Vict0r

Vict0r

+1

The stands are good to lower the desk reflection. What are you missing form the Q acoustics? Maybe some eq and subwoofer and everything is fine with them as desktop monitors? With Genelec 8010 and Eve Audio SC203 you will also have no real bass.

Some rubber feet should be enough.

I "stole" the Q Acoustics from my home cinema setup, since after I sold the Quad 12L's I didn't have any desktop speakers anymore. :) They need to go back into the cinema, so I need something else to put on the desk. Currently bidding on a second hand pair of T5V's and Genelec 8020D's. :)

After the comments here about decoupling them, I actually now have the Q Acoustics ON the granite slabs I had lying around (no rubber feet available yet, alas. Gonna order a few!) and the bass is so much cleaner already. I know they aren't actually decoupled with the granite, but it sure made a significant improvement. Less structural vibration, I suppose. Stupid really, since in my cinema all floor standing speakers are decoupled with spikes resting on bamboo plates that are decoupled with vibrapods. Turned them upside down as well, to get the tweeter at ear level.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-16 at 15.06.26.jpeg

Last edited:

Milan237

The material should be both quite soft, but also quite dense and have absorbent properties.
A friend of mine uses acoustic foam pads for this purpose, and he told me what they are for.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8020 and KH80 are pretty much the same size (8020 a bit taller with iso-pod, kh80 5cm deeper). Eve SC203 is smaller, but also has an even smaller "woofer".

Since we're talking small Genelec speakers (8x2x or 8x3x), Amir has been sent my 8320A and 8330A for review, so we should be seeing those measurements maybe next month.

nimar

Forum Donor
I guess its because only one kind were measured, but I've not seen much love for the rest of Adam's speakers. I've been using these Adam A7X's for my near-field setup for almost 7 years and they sound amazing (and should measure equally so).

EQ done with REW/Umik, playback via Roon. Have since replaced the dac with a topping stack but too lazy to take another photo.

IMG_0736.JPG

Last edited:

Hipper

I don't like a desk top PC on a desk. They occupy useful space and they may also vibrate the desk. I've got mine beside the desk on a narrow table. Putting it on the floor is not a good idea from the dust perspective.

Same might apply to speakers if you have the space to put them on stands behind the desk.

If the speakers must be on the desk I see no harm in angling the speakers up or down depending on their location in order to direct the mids and highs towards your ears.

As you like your desk's appearance it seems a shame to hide a lot of it with equipment.

Do those diffusors on the side walls do anything? They don't look to be positioned for any purpose. It's unlikely you will have problems from side wall reflections in this nearfield set up. If you are still suffering from reflections off the front window you could try placing the diffusors there, firstly at least, to hear if they do anything. If they do perhaps you can have them on stands so they can be moved out of the way when you want some light.

Top Bottom