• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want them and I don’t have a studio, studio flat perhaps.
Keith
I wouldn't mind a set, either. But I'm sure Genelec was not thinking about us.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Someone Nordic in a dreary grey shirt with green insignia might be reading this thread right now.
Wishing he was in the pub.
Keith

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone Nordic in a dreary grey shirt with green insignia might be reading this thread right now.
Keith
Could be. "Those two guys. Maybe we can get some sales!"

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
If Genelec is reading
pleas lower the price so we ASR members could buy them

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You would almost certainly get a discount as a Genelec employee.
Keith

DSJR

Major Contributor
Does it mean they get even louder than they specs suggest ?
Have you ever tried to listen in a domestic environment at 110dB peaking at 115dB approximately? It's so bloody loud you can't hear ANYTHING in the music in a typical domestic room. Maybe a properly treated studio is different, but I'd suggest it's not good for domestic listening or for your ears in all honesty!!!

Got to try to get a listen to some, even the humbler smaller models and in fact the rectangular shaped models may just be more suitable here, not that it matters really :D

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really love the video, and although I'm not a fan of the aesthetics, I honestly am willing to trade aesthetics for sound quality. That said, ignoring price, I'm still leaning towards adding the W371As to my 8351b + JTR RS2 combo as the SOTA solution. The overall directivity looks smoother, and I never come close to reaching the spl limits of my 8351b + RS2 combo as is. I also like that the W371 also comes with a multi sub mode - in addition to the directivity control down to 50hz - to smooth the overall bass response. I'm a bit skeptical(though ready to change my mind) of the benefits of deep bass directivity control. Another difference I see is that the 8351b + W371 will have a wider dispersion pattern, and I'm leaning towards that being a positive, based on what I have/have heard. Not sure on that, though. The ~40 radiation pattern is in between my JTR speakers(30°) and Genelec Ones(60°), and I find the Genelecs provide a more pleasing balance between imaging and spaciousness.

I did see where people preferred the 8381A over the 8361 + W371A combo under blind conditions. That definitely peaks my interest, but I have a lot of questions. I'd love to hear that same setup side by side, blind, and with the blind playlist I've settled on over the years.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are there any other advantages to cardiod/directional bass than just less room/front wall interactions?

If you have a small room less bass build up behind the speakers can improve the bass response a lot.

But people and studios who can afford the 8381 and need the high SPL will most likely have a really large room that doesn’t suffer from bass problems.

So what’s really the point of having cardiod bass? Is it still useful in large spaces?

TurtlePaul

One thing you get with controlled bass directivity is you can have a flatter in-room response. If f you on-axis is flat, then the slope of your in room curve is determined by how narrow the dispersion is in the treble vs. how wide it is in bass. If you want to have the flatter slope most studio monitors target and also want to have controlled directivity in the mids and highs, then you need controlled bass directivity too. For speakers that go omni at 500 hz, should an accurate monitor have the on axis flat below this point or target a linear PIR below this point?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Theoretically how would 8381 compare to top audiophile speakers like Focal Utopia and Magico M series ?
Focal-Stella-Utopia-EVO-3.jpg
90a3a1c04a591162741ecf5fa197b99e.jpg

juliangst

Theoretically how would 8381 compare to top audiophile speakers like Focal Utopia and Magico M series ?View attachment 290057View attachment 290058
Probably smaller slope in the in rooms response and less boosted bass (as all the other Genelecs). They don’t have the widest dispersion so you’ll get less wall bounce compared to some hifi speakers which will lead to a more focused and less diffuse image.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Theoretically how would 8381 compare to top audiophile speakers like Focal Utopia and Magico M series ?View attachment 290057View attachment 290058
One little secret PJ - The Genelecs are ACTIVE, so no passive network in the way to decouple the drivers from the amp feeding them.

Wealthy audiophiles like to mix and match gear 'cos active with properly matching amps is so boring. Music lovers however... ;)

juliangst

Good passive crossovers shouldn't be any worse than active crossovers. Some audiophile brands like magico also use active crossovers for the bass drivers (on their M9) or other brands use completly active systems like B&O or Avantgarde

TurtlePaul

The Genelec crossover is a DSP. There is a huge advantage to being a DSP because you can filter everything with math while a normal active or passive crossover requires more components the more filters you want to add. Also, there are filters in DSP that cant be replicated in analog or passive components (FIR filters and time delays). Passive crossovers further require quite expensive high voltage/high power components and passive filters reduce sensitivity the more complex you make them.

Top Bottom