• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Newman

Major Contributor
That’s quite an accusation. Please explain why you wouldn’t put that past Genelec. Are you privy to previous deceptions by them?
What would they have to gain by gaming their own blind testing?
It’s not meant to be ‘accusing’ Genelec of anything that I wouldn’t be surprised to see from any audio component manufacturer when setting up a demo (not scientific tests) of their new flagship product. Be realistic.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It’s not meant to be ‘accusing’ Genelec of anything that I wouldn’t be surprised to see from any audio component manufacturer when setting up a demo (not scientific tests) of their new flagship product. Be realistic.
“I would not put it past Genelec to…” sounds very much like an accusation, made with prior precedent implied. Pretty petty statement if you have no evidence. Maybe you need to dial back the aspersions.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Sorry if you continue to misrepresent my intention, but I can’t help you doing that.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am still wondering how Genelec made them louder for demonstrations.
Keith

Newman

Major Contributor
LOL, very funny!

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I have understood the study correctly, it was carried out using headphones on untrained subjects with normal hearing and an average age of 30.
Question?
Under normal listening conditions, with two loudspeakers at a distance of 2 meters, i.e. with sound on-axis and off-axis, and taking psychoacoustics into account, would the result be the same ?

Would this statement """ Small group delay variation and linear phase response result in improved sound quality "" be undeniable in these conditions?

At what threshold would it become audible in these conditions ?

I'm sorry if my questions aren't relevant, but they're not malicious and I just want to understand...

Last edited:

HairyEars

Sorry if you continue to misrepresent my intention, but I can’t help you doing that.

Either your English isn't your native tongue, or your mastery of it is tenuous.

The phrase “I would not put it past the entity to..." expresses deep suspicion of the entity and casts aspersions on its integrity.

If that's what you mean, explain your issues with Genelec; else, be more precise with your language.

Last edited:

Blockader

This research is conducted in collaboration between Aalto University and Genelec.

1685262210465.png

this is basically the bottomline of the research. As you can see around 3000hz human ear is actually quite sensitive to phase shifts. (with pink impulse especially)

Wesayso

A speaker like this is a tool. If the tool is more accurate, that's a big plus. Preference of the consumers has little to do with it.
As far as I have seen the Pro world is far more invested in linear phase crossovers than today's Consumer market. The majority of speakers on the consumer market are still passive designs. How are they going to sell all those amplifiers etc. if it's already part of the speaker? They won't notice phase behavior anyway, as their rooms will be swamped with early reflections...

Blockader

8381's crossover are already active and digital, The DSP chip which is responsible for crossovers have FIR filters already inside. Implementing phase correction is very easy for speakers with active digital crossovers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I doubt they would just raise the volume on the 8381.
1. If they get "caught " their reputation would be damaged .
2. They don't sound like the company that would do that
3. I trust them

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Raise them to what, if a dealer played them louder in a comparison that would be, in my opinion extremely poor but nothing to do with Genelec.
Keith

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
A speaker like this is a tool. If the tool is more accurate, that's a big plus. Preference of the consumers has little to do with it.

Right. Radiating scattered phase from various driver locations, before the room rotates it all further, might be enjoyable, but it makes monitoring more ambiguous. It is the combination of perceived point-radiation, constant emitted phase and controlled directivity that is special and productive here, also when calibrating microphones. Whether or not such precision is preferred in recreational sound is a different topic.

Loudness is always a potential confounder in listening comparisons, so demonstrators should allow for relative adjustment of gain, after in-situ compensation and SPL-based sound level calibration. In monitoring, baseline average level would typically be 78-85 dB SPL. Considering recreational, preferences (e.g. frequency response) cannot really be meaningfully discussed without defining at least listening level first.

If the discussion was also on 8381 specs, they are just as conservative as ever. Nothing changed.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You can’t quantify ‘value’.
They are what they are, I would prefer that they were cheaper, but…
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I want them and I don’t have a studio, studio flat perhaps.
Keith

Top Bottom