• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Keith_W

Major Contributor
All this complaining about the price is rather curious. If you head over to many subjectivist audio forums, people routinely spend twice or three times as much on speakers without blinking an eye. A lot of subjectivists are very wealthy, I know a couple of people with million dollar systems. I don't know what you guys are complaining about, >$60k for a speaker which includes the amplifiers and is as well designed as this is good value. Apart from the looks (but people have gone on about this enough already).

HairyEars

All this complaining about the price is rather curious. If you head over to many subjectivist audio forums, people routinely spend twice or three times as much on speakers without blinking an eye. A lot of subjectivists are very wealthy, I know a couple of people with million dollar systems. I don't know what you guys are complaining about, >$60k for a speaker which includes the amplifiers and is as well designed as this is good value. Apart from the looks (but people have gone on about this enough already).

You're absolutely right.

Here's another perspective: it's the same price as the 1236A, which has less drivers (5 vs 9), 1 amp of 3kW vs 2 amps of 6kW. a simpler construction (1 enclosure vs 2) and a more basic DSP on board. It's more powerful (130db) and has 2 x 18" woofers, but the 8381 has many other advantages.

I think the price is fair, and, if I had the room and the right setup, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All this complaining about the price is rather curious. If you head over to many subjectivist audio forums, people routinely spend twice or three times as much on speakers without blinking an eye. A lot of subjectivists are very wealthy
I predict in 6 months Genelec will have a 2 year back-log, and will raise the price to $39K each. Hurry, you may miss out on the introductory price. :cool:

Last edited:

AdamQ

Word.
I think also many folks are ignorant to the RnD costs involved in designing a speaker like this. $60k a pair is great value imho.
I for one am grateful we have brands like Genelec truly innovating audio.
And as for the complaints about the 8381 aesthetics - it reminds me of when I have to tell my kids to judge their dinner with their mouths not their eyes ;-)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the fact that people are focusing on the size of the aluminum faceplate and the use of MDF elsewhere. Nobody is focusing on $70k/pair speakers using paper woofers.

Not aluminum. Not ceramic coated. Not magnesium alloy. The woofers are clearly paper.

I think this is fine and paper woofers sounds good. However, I would expect the materials brigade to note that there are a dozen “more pistonic” driver materials than paper.
The technical problems of bass drivers used only for bass are more around travel and linearity than exciting resonance in the diaphragm.
It is fairly easy for them to remain pistonic in their passband.
Very much unlike tweeters and unlike mid drivers.

Newman

Major Contributor
“Good value”? I cannot agree.

I don’t care what it costs to make a speaker: if the result isn’t audibly superior to an alternative at half the price, or 80% of the price, it’s a waste of money.

It’s value is unknown until it has passed such listening tests and demonstrated its superiority to the very best speakers that cost less.

People are far too quick to judge.

beeface

And not to give you a reason to bitch?...What's yout hair color today, BTW? purple? Neon?

I can tell you're trying to make an argument, but I don't think you've really said anything coherent here. Probably best that you drop the subject and move on.

Reactions: MDF

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This speaks to me more than anything in this thread.It's literally the use case these things are made for.
I think it nails down the qualities needed for any serious speaker.
He also owned these
Screenshot_20230522_100453_Facebook.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Bob Katz would probably use and promote whatever he is given free, Kii/BXT recently wasn’t it, I believe Kii gave Jacob Collier a pair of Threes.
Take everything with a pinch of salt and ask of everything what is it unto itself.
Keith

Sokel

Master Contributor
Bob Katz would probably use and promote whatever he is given free, Kii/BXT recently wasn’t it, I believe Kii gave Jacob Collier a pair of Threes.
Take everything with a pinch of salt and ask of everything what is it unto itself.
Keith
What's interesting is not what he said about the speaker itself but the comparison with the previous line.
I can get the fin. interest,it's an industry after all but apples to apples comparison is useful.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
2 weird things that he wrote
"compete" and not beat
and also compared them to passive not active monitors

Sebastiaan de Vries

If they ditched the oval drivers of the Ones
And this is one of the Ones
Does it mean thatthey felt they're compromised in any way vs a regular round driver for them to switch back to an "old" design ?
They have not ditched. Different application and different approach but the same objectives.

If you study Genelecs journey, you can conclude that the 8381a isn’t that much diverted from the Ones. It does the same trick with the same goal, namely, controlled directivity. The racetrack drivers behind the slots of the ones fit the same purpose (and even technically in the same way) as the midrange array in the 8381a. Create an acoustic-controlled point source by beamforming. In this regard, the ones are genius masterpieces in concept and construction.

Sebastiaan de Vries

I love the fact that people are focusing on the size of the aluminum faceplate and the use of MDF elsewhere. Nobody is focusing on $70k/pair speakers using paper woofers.

Not aluminum. Not ceramic coated. Not magnesium alloy. The woofers are clearly paper.

I think this is fine and paper woofers sounds good. However, I would expect the materials brigade to note that there are a dozen “more pistonic” driver materials than paper.
Some transducer engineers still agree that paper is the best material for low bass woofers. The 8351B went back to paper from a composite material in the 8351A. The exotic brute SVS woofers from the 4000/16 series are reinforced paper.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some transducer engineers still agree that paper is the best material for low bass woofers. The 8351B went back to paper from a composite material in the 8351A. The exotic brute SVS woofers from the 4000/16 series are reinforced paper.
Exactly, the use of paper has no correlations with the price of speakers, but one with the properties of this material for the woofer and as far as I know, the 2216 ND JBL M2 /4367 are made of cellulose pulp, in other words ... paper.

https://manualzz.com/doc/37151866/eds-9990013-jbl-2216nd

Top Bottom