• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These look groundbreaking (literally), the only thing I dislike is the aluminium horn/face-plate that finishes half way down the baffle. I think it would've looked better finishing before the woofer or completely covering the front baffle (not that I'll ever be able to afford the bloody thing anyway).
They genuinely use that front woofer as a lower midrange. So that why that want driver to be aimable along with the 4 mid array and mid/tweeter.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
In the video they say you could sit 10 meters away from the monitors and nothing will be lacking
Which is pretty insane
Becaue they look pretty small compared to the normal audiophile giant speakers

Axo1989

Major Contributor
To me the old rounded cast alloy case is an 'iconic' look.

This new look is also going to be 'iconic'... for very different reasons though.

I'm in two minds about this... aesthetics matter and at the same time, it doesnt?

According to their description Harri Koskinen had a hand in the design of this one also. Reading that, it already starts to look more iconic. :)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
What did he design ?

All the aluminium Genelecs starting with the 6040. Others including the 1024 and M series. And this one.

Crafted with expert guidance from celebrated Industrial Designer Harri Koskinen, the 8381A is completely designed and built in Iisalmi, Finland. Drawing on more than four decades of company experience, Genelec's passionate engineering team meticulously designed and optimised every component of the 8381A. In doing so, we've created a monitoring loudspeaker that's ideal for the audio world's most demanding applications – built to perform with effortless power and zero sonic compromise.

And some other things.

Edit: in other words, all the speakers in this picture, and more.

20230515215811_Genelec-AES2023-8381A-IMG-2669-Web.jpg

Last edited:

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess these are the tilt wedges? the system seems to me a little archaic considering the technology of the speakers
1684650346128.png

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I guess these are the tilt wedges? the system seems to me a little archaic considering the technology of the speakers
View attachment 286971

Haha, yes somewhat rudimentary. On a big Focal Utopia you get a crank handle to open/close the accordion.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 4.40.04 pm.png

If Genelec had done it with electric motors, way cooler.

HairyEars

Realistically How much better are they than 8351+W371

Putting aside the charts, let’s dissect the differences and sum them up:

8381 boasts a compression tweetr
The quad mids enhances direcativity and boosts low-mid spl
15” woofer vs 14” woofer in the W371
2 x 15” woofers for active bass management vs 12” woofer

Seems the 8381 would run circles around the combo.
(And it ditches the slit design which I personally dislike)

All on paper of course

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Not thinking about that lind of expenditure... These are in all likelihood superb speakers but .. Man! These are FUGLY!! One could debate the design of the "The One " series, it looks at least, different .. those look like .. damn ...:eek:o_O
Hoping , one day that it would be reviewed by @amirm, just to establish a, benchmark?

Peace.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hi

Not thinking about that lind of expenditure... These are in all likelihood superb speakers but .. Man! These are FUGLY!! One could debate the design of the "The One " series, it looks at least, different .. those look like .. damn ...:eek:o_O
Hoping , one day that it would be reviewed by @amirm, just to establish a, benchmark?

Peace.
They look much better than some other speakers...
Screenshot_20230521_115345_Gallery.jpg

Jimshoe

Personally, I love them already - but I'm a sucker for function dictating form.

For those less purist than me though, I wonder how hard a simple stocking stretch grille would be to do?

My old Neat Ultimatums had this, looked great and was acoustically inert.

Top Bottom