• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Music does some crazy things. It can put people into trances.

Ok, pretty OT now, but when I was much younger I went to a gig with my big sister, we were into Garbage at the time, but Manson (Shirley, not Marilyn) had an on-stage spat and walked off.

Co-headline act Alanis Morisette picked up the slack with an additional acoustic set on top of their scheduled performance. In-between (probably to cover the second gig setup time) she did a literal whirling dervish performance. It lasted 20 minutes. But I had no sense of time passing (probably the gateway to any subsequent teenage psychedelic debauchery that may or may not have happened).

Maybe we are the ones who overthink this.

For sure. My mum, who is still pretty groovy, usually dislikes when I put on music I really like: "that music is for listening to, you can't do anything else". As opposed to listening while scrolling. Or vacuuming. Or ...

I don't know if it has been posted but US pricing is $32,000 each.

Yes, back on topic: I'll bet the Oz pricing is ordinary, by which I mean ordinarily inflated. We have federal GST of course (like VAT) but I'd get that back (you seppos don't post that in the price in your state-by-state system). We'll see.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, pretty OT now, but when I was much younger I went to a gig with my big sister, we were into Garbage at the time, but Manson (Shirley, not Marilyn) had an on-stage spat and walked off.

Co-headline act Alanis Morisette picked up the slack with an additional acoustic set on top of their scheduled performance. In-between (probably to cover the second gig setup time) she did a literal whirling dervish performance. It lasted 20 minutes. But I had no sense of time passing (probably the gateway to any subsequent teenage psychedelic debauchery that may or may not have happened).

Haha I love the may or may not have happened line. :) Music has incredible power.

For sure. My mum, who is still pretty groovy, usually dislikes when I put on music I really like: "that music is for listening to, you can't do anything else". As opposed to listening while scrolling. Or vacuuming. Or ...

My mom was similar. She just said she like the music to come from another room altogether. I guess it’s how she may have consumed music as a kid? Also while cleaning I bet the radio was sitting on some counter somewhere.

This sitting in front of speakers and listening and not common like we do.

People would rather just have some source of sound coming from somewhere. Which is why I guess Sonos probably outsells all of our entire field of “high fidelity” stuff.

Bose wave radios sold like crazy too.
Yes, back on topic: I'll bet the Oz pricing is ordinary, by which I mean ordinarily inflated. We have federal GST of course (like VAT) but I'd get that back (you seppos don't post that in the price in your state-by-state system). We'll see.
Yeah we sort of know the tax rate for our state however I can say not all dealers are set up to collect it in all states but only in their own state so in those cases you must file a return and pay that sales tax. Now that is where things may or may not actually happen. :D.

For more than a decade Amazon did not collect state sales taxes except where they had a physical office. Nobody bothered or even knew how to file that document so almost nobody paid sales tax on most out of state purchases.

It was relatively recent maybe 7-8 years ago? That Amazon and other “mail order” compnies were required to collect sales tax.

That’s actually what facilitated their expansion as it took out that last barrier to opening a physical presence in all states. So now they have facilities, warehouses and offices in all states. What was a competitive advantage was gone vis a vis brick and mortar retail yet it taking it away is led to Prime and next day etc as they could have warehouses everywhere.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m also staring to wonder for us 110v folks if we need 20A outlets to use this. Because 6000w x 2?

Or rather 3000w x 4. I realize it will never ever draw that from the wall because I have 2 x 1800w of Genelec amplification running on one 110v 15 amp circuit.

Still I doubt you can put all 4 of those amps on a 110v 15A line.

Also does anyone know what they mean by “sonic advisor” services?

Sebastiaan de Vries

Waiting for 8381B with a beryllium tweeter :)
That will likely not happen. From my understanding, Genelec and many qualified designers believe exotic materials aren’t vital. A tweeter is a building block, as is an amplifier and DAC. The engineers pick no-nonsense building blocks to accomplish a holistic desired result.

A well-designed aluminum dome tweeter with break up and resonances in the controlled range, combined with DSP and acoustic tuning, do the job. An 8351B has tremendous imaging, resolution, and layering. The contrary to some beliefs, I never feel they sound harsh or agressieve. They sound accurate and therefor for me enjoyable.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
That will likely not happen. From my understanding, Genelec and many qualified designers believe exotic materials aren’t vital. A tweeter is a building block, as is an amplifier and DAC. The engineers pick no-nonsense building blocks to accomplish a holistic desired result.

A well-designed aluminum dome tweeter with break up and resonances in the controlled range, combined with DSP and acoustic tuning, do the job. An 8351B has tremendous imaging, resolution, and layering. The contrary to some beliefs, I never feel they sound harsh or agressieve. They sound accurate and therefor for me enjoyable.
I felt the same when I auditioned the 8361

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So you don't pay taxes on anything basically ?
The reason why the VAT is not displayed may be the following. ..example ;

Depending on the state, the vat rate in the USA is :

0% in Alaska, Montana, Oregon and New Hampshire;
9.45% in Tennessee;
9.26% in Arkansas;
8.91% in Alabama;
5.50% in Maine;
5.47% in Wyoming;
5.43% in Wisconsin;
4.35% in Hawaii;
7% in Mississippi, New Jersey or Rhode Island.

Some states reserve the right to apply the US VAT and to add an additional local tax to the selling price of products or services

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you don't pay taxes on anything basically ?
We pay sales taxes on everything expect unprepared food. It’s just added after the quote as it is different for each state and actually each locality. Every level of government state and lower wants a piece of the action.

Pretty much all businesses comply with collecting sales tax on behalf the states they ship to these days. That wasn’t the case not that long ago. However there is the rare unicorn here and there which are too small to need to comply. It’s a huge burden to collect and remit to 50 different states for a small business.

Besides I’d rather support a small business in this purchase than one of the mega pro audio dealers.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The reason why the VAT is not displayed may be the following. ..example ;

Depending on the state, the vat rate in the USA is :

0% in Alaska, Montana, Oregon and New Hampshire;
9.45% in Tennessee;
9.26% in Arkansas;
8.91% in Alabama;
5.50% in Maine;
5.47% in Wyoming;
5.43% in Wisconsin;
4.35% in Hawaii;
7% in Mississippi, New Jersey or Rhode Island.

Some states reserve the right to apply the US VAT and to add an additional local tax to the selling price of products or services
It's worth living in Alaska :)

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Why is there a need for 3 woofers ?
Do they all play the same frequencies or are the bottom 2 more like subs ?
Also why ars the bottom 2 woofers opposing , is there any purpose to that?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I start to wonder if not the variable xover can help combat sbir effects due to the placement of the drivers relative to the floor and walls ? Two on the floor at sides and one midbass higher up ?

We know that placing the bass driver close to the floor in passive 3 way speakers have been done and a line of bass drivers like the salon 2 ( 3 drivers ) or a big kef reference ( 4 drivers top and bottom)

Edit:
If you really want to enjoy sbir you should get tiny two way audiophile speakers on a stand :) and continuously play “the let’s try a new speaker placement” game

Sebastiaan de Vries

Ask any trinnov user why they feel it sounds better with phase correction.
I own both Genelec and Trinnov—my observation as NON-audiophile. A noticeable difference occurs when you activate the linear phase mode in the 8351b since Genelec provided this in a firmware update. (obviously at the cost of more delay). My girlfriend, who is not a trained listener, could spot the difference consistently. So I ask what's better, A or B, She always picks the phase linear version. (this is without GLM calibration and the Trinnov optimizer on bypass)

Regardless, the Trinnov corrects the whole systems phase response.

Recently from Trinnov, we received a software update that reduced pre-ringing with (heavy) FIR filter tab usage. Some claim we can't hear pre-ringing, but the difference is significant. Sure, we may listen to what we hear as the artificial result of the new filters, Who knows...

The same principle counts for ultra-low THD amplification. I used to own 5 Benchmark AHB2, and they were the best (or I better say no sound at all) amplifiers I ever owned. We can't hear the difference between 0.1% THD or 0.0001% THD, BUT inevitable; when the amplifier is designed to be super linear, other aspects will improve by default. A similar factor plays a role in linearizing the phase and timing of a monitor system. There is a butterfly effect when one improves one aspect.

The difference noticed with a more linear phase is more insight into the music production of the source. For example, I can hear better little recording details, such as the mic in front of a bass-guitar cabinet and the blended direct signal. Whereas previously, it was a blended, indistinguishable sound. I can instantly spot the typical characteristics of the lexicon 480L reverb from the 80s.

I listen in OCD fashion, looking for production cues and layers of harmony deeply embedded in the mix. I love to discover all those production details. The more linear the system becomes (holistically including your room), the more such details reveal themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom