• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that all Genelec speakers are expensive because they are manufactured in Finland, and these are particularly expensive because they have unique drivers and designs that are not shared anywhere else so the cost of their development is 100% amortized by these speakers alone.

For the sake of discussion, hypothetically, if it costs them $10 million to develop these speakers and the benefits of that development cannot be applied to any other speakers in their lineup, and they want to recoup that cost over 5 years, that's $2 million per year on top of the cost to manufacture each unit. If they sell 100 pairs per year for the next 5 years, each sale will have to include an additional $20,000 to recoup the original $10 million development cost. After 5 years, the price of the speakers may then be discounted because the $10 million have been repaid so we'll be at your $50K budget!
They will not drop the price. At that point they will take the consumer surplus. Which is fair as they have made a huge gamble. Those 100 pairs must sell per year.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They will not drop the price. At that point they will take the consumer surplus. Which is fair as they have made a huge gamble. Those 100 pairs must sell per year.
Fair enough - at that point, the CFO and VP of Sales will have a talk about moving inventory.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been discussed a lot and someone will hopefully go into more detail but basically you eliminate SBIR. The sides and back waves are “swallowed” by the wall.
On the other hand the W371A and 8381A can eliminate SBIR with their different bass steering modes like for example cardioid.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Am I the only person to find it very similar to the Danley Hyperion?
Is the 70,000.oo price per pair or each?
This is Genelec we're talking about here, the odds are in favor of a superlative product.

Peace.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough - at that point, the CFO and VP of Sales will have a talk about moving inventory.
I don’t know Genelec has never run that way. Even on their “mass produced” products.

These are probably made almost custom to order.

Even the w371 had a waiting list.

Let’s see maybe in 5-7 years I might get one second hand. If it were $50k now I would just get them now as there’s no point sacrificing 5-7 years without them.

But there’s also value in moving up over time and not spoiling yourself too soon.

I thought I was done and now a new carrot has appeared for me to run after. I’m split in how I feel about this. Disappointed on one side and almost relieved on the other.

Now I have a new goal I guess.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand the W371A and 8381A can eliminate SBIR with their different bass steering modes like for example cardioid.
I wouldn’t say eliminate. Ameliorate perhaps. It’s a compromise which works for me as I still rent.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Peace.
To some extent. There are only so many ways you can surround a horn with mids.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Is the 70,000.oo price per pair or each?
This is Genelec we're talking about here, the odds are in favor of a superlative product.

Peace.
It's been going on for a long time now.

IamJF

Not for the same use. Those are for soffit mount, which is no longer used in studios.
Of course it's still used in studios, what a nonsense.
But more and more stuff is produced in bedroomes and with headphones on the go nowerdays (e.g. billie eilish) ... less need for big studios.

You won't pay 70k when that's the official price. You call the distributor and talk about the price. And don't pay tax. But it's still a pretty penny ...

And these main monitors in this living room with some curtains :oops: What a waste.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people do many strange things. Thankfully the new 8381A will show them the light :)

IMG_4012.jpeg

aschen

70k is a crapload of money for sure but in the context of a primary tool in a professional setting doesn't seem crazy to me.

See laboratories full of 150k microscopes, 200k load frames, 500k cnc machines. On a price vs technology delivered vs volume of sales these seem not out of wack.

Ive never been in a real studio. Why do you need so much output? Mixing space seems pretty small in most pics I have seen.

For consumer use I am happy fantasizing about 1237A or 8361, i like big speakers but 200kg studio monitors even pushes my sense of reasonable

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some of these problems are solvable. Question is, should we try to do that? I recently had a company offer 120 pound speakers for testing and I passed on it (for now). I have to see if I can locate some local help that can come as a crew and get things setup and teardown much like a company would. As I noted though, this means $500 or more out of pocket for logistics. I am game doing it if the value is there.
I think measuring this speaker would function to advertise ASR and your measurement capabilities. Plus it'd be awesome

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
70k is a crapload of money for sure but in the context of a primary tool in a professional setting doesn't seem crazy to me.

See laboratories full of 150k microscopes, 200k load frames, 500k cnc machines. On a price vs technology delivered vs volume of sales these seem not out of wack.
Exactly, even in the private section an upper mid class car costs in that region or more and so many people buy such, while with those 8381 you get for that money some of the best loudspeakers in the world.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ive never been in a real studio. Why do you need so much output? Mixing space seems pretty small in most pics I have seen.

For consumer use I am happy fantasizing about 1237A or 8361, i like big speakers but 200kg studio monitors even pushes my sense of reasonable
It depends it seems the trend is towards smaller studios. However take a look at some mega studios out there such as Blackbird studios.

I don’t know what studio time costs but I think for big studio space the recoupment of cost will be relatively quick.

Especially if it avoids high architectural costs. This will actually save them money.

What’s ironic is that I was chided with “you are listening very loud” and then they make this.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly, even in the private section an upper mid class car costs in that region or more and so many people buy such, while with those 8381 you get for that money some of the best loudspeakers in the world.
Seriously. I rented a Chevy Malibu recently and at the end of the day I don’t see why anyone needs more car than that. Incredibly smooth, took all the bumps, went fast enough. It wasn’t “fun” to drive but I came back to my “fun” car and for a second thought “this is a lot of work”.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not so because it isn't a good solution though. it's just that every single engenier started using near-field monitors.
So what’s the impetus to go “back” to large main monitors like the 8381a?

Near field makes a lot of sense from a production standpoint.

Large mains more for consumption.

Is it to demo the mix to bands and producers?

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

In the same order of ideas and to relativize, with 70 k euros you can afford a Porsche Cayman with many more components, patents, technologies and engineering that are used and a warranty period parts and labor longer.
but that doesn't stop me from really fantasizing about what Genelec has just created and I think every audio enthusiast should do so.

1684336003955.jpeg

Top Bottom