• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

jei

Forum Donor
- how much did they spend to produce the video launch? Granted, as of now, they've had 1162 viewers. Realistically, how many incremental sales will they generate from that video yet how much will the professional production cost of that video add to the cost of each pair of 8381's
This thread discussing it on this one forum alone has 48k views.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole product launch has me rather perplexed and shaking my head: what was Genelec thinking by hyping this big unveiling? Too, based on some of the snarky comments, is this marketing effort potentially backfiring on them? Is this a Genelec attempt at an Apple-esque event, gone a wee-bit sour?

Thinking outloud:

If the MSRP is truly $75K +/- :

- how many pairs to they forecasting to sell per year? A dozen? Perhaps two dozen?

- who is their target audience - Pro studios who will already be reading about these in trade mags/ blogs, etc? Genelec FanBoys with, "stupid" money (sorry) who are going to buy the most expensive Genelec product no matter what the price.

- how much did they spend to produce the video launch? Granted, as of now, they've had 1162 viewers. Realistically, how many incremental sales will they generate from that video yet how much will the professional production cost of that video add to the cost of each pair of 8381's

If I were the product manager for a high-end product like these speakers, I'd take a different approach.

- I'd spend my marketing money shipping a speaker (and hydraulic lift) to Amir for testing thus creating some buzz (with the agreement that I could use Amir's comments on the product web page.)

- spend my time talking to pro-audio writers;

- spend my budget attending at well targeted trade shows attended by high-end Genelec dealers rather than creating a great unveiling for a product that is probably priced above 98% of even an, "audiophile" audience like ASR.

To me, this, "great unveiling" really missed the mark. Apparently a very nice speaker but very silly marketing.
Wait...you don't think they aimed it all at ASR?

/OK, maybe not

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Price-innovation-materials

For 70k i expected a lot more than the same materials of 149 usd speakers, at this point you gotta be crazy rich, studios are professional… and cuz you are professional you dont want to buy the expensier thing for doing the same task
Screenshot_20230516_170717_Chrome.jpg

Yes but all of their main monitors are MDF

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
All true, but:

a) there are a lot of rather snarky comments;

b) and most importantly, how many 8381 sales will result from this thread?
Re b) Halo effect. They sell other speakers too.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
View attachment 285829
Yes but all of their main monitors are MDF
And its fine
To be honest, i prefer something like the 8361 + duals subs, im not his target.

The Ones are the only speakers im interested to from Genelec... but the brand is way too expensive, at this point i see no point because at certain price you can get a really nice objective speaker but really jewel like
Genelec only has good measurements, there is plently of that in the market...

For example i still can get a Kef reference 1 meta/KEF LS60 + dual rythmik 18'' vs this thing, guess what thing is uglier:facepalm: and is not like this '' new genelec ''is pushing something weird like a Unicore or metamaterial to his tweeter

I don't know, im just not the target...

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
At 200 kg, I'm pretty positive @amirm is already praying no one send him this monster to put up on the Klippel :eek:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At 200 kg, I'm pretty positive @amirm is already praying no one send him this monster to put up on the Klippel :eek:
The bigger problem is reinforcing my bookshelves to accept them ;)

Now that the cat is officially (ahem) out of the bag, shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you. :)
Compared to the leaked brochure, the official brochure now precises "Constant Delay and Phase". What is meant by that? According to research by Floyd Toole humans are not responsive to phase. What are then the real world advantages of having constant delay and phase? Does it for example allow you to use a wide crossover point at 500 Hz?

genelec-8381a-brochure.jpg

The crossover frequencies are now precised to be "50–130 Hz (variable), 150–250 Hz (variable), c 500 Hz, 1800 Hz". Without revealing the secret sauce of the GLM software, could you give pointers on how these variable crossover frequencies are chosen?

Whatsthephuss

Where do you see interferences?

We shouldn't mix up things, this is a LM-UM-T-UM-LM configuration where the crossover frequency between the lower mids and upper mids is 500 Hz and the corresponding driver distances inside the range of the wavelength to not have the lobing issues that typically poorly engineered MTM loudspeakers crossed at 2kHz have.
Those 5” midrange are not close enough to each other (1/4 wavelength), so if they are playing 500hz and above (even with a 500hz crossover they still play higher frequencies) then there will be comb filtering.

新しい人

Now that the cat is officially (ahem) out of the bag, shoot us with the questions you can't see being answered by viewing the product page or the product brochure. We are here to serve you. :)

How do you deal with the comb filtering problem mentioned on the #557

fineMen

Major Contributor
Those 5” midrange are not close enough to each other (1/4 wavelength), so if they are playing 500hz and above (even with a 500hz crossover they still play higher frequencies) then there will be comb filtering.
I didn't think about the original argument of @thewas because it was obviously shelled out as a defense by aggression.

In my book the whole thread is hilarious anyway. And now Genelec dared to ask for comments ... I only remember the pretty lame response to KEF's white paper on the R / meta series. All so excited, but (nearly?) nobody referrenced the content, let alone critically. Could it be that the audience here is a bit overrated in regard to technological insight?

Valentin R

Stand alone JBL M2 seems similar with its constant directivity but with out the bass adaptive GLM

Also the Dutch and Dutch 8c. Comes to my mind

IMG_7046.jpeg

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I didn't think about the original argument of @thewas because it was obviously shelled out as a defense by aggression.

In my book the whole thread is hilarious anyway. And now Genelec dared to ask for comments ... I only remember the pretty lame response to KEF's white paper on the R / meta series. All so excited, but (nearly?) nobody referrenced the content, let alone critically. Could it be that the audience here is a bit overrated in regard to technological insight?
That thread ended with all telling to the Kef guys to sends his speakers to Amir...
In the end, is what we want because we can compare apples to apples, the thing was the Kef guys didn't sended the speakers.. so.... we are still waiting anyway, for example by their measurements you cannot see clearly that the new R have wider horizontal directivity

Top Bottom