• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't help but think the only people putting these in their homes must all be single and don't mind remaining that way for the rest of their lives.
I suppose so. But they also live in trailers and drink Bud Light and watch NASCAR.

You just dismiss anyone who doesn't share you aesthetic preferences with a wave of your hand? They don't think like you so they're not worth considering?

It's fine if you think they're ugly. It's not fine to insult people who don't share you preferences or priorities.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You just dismiss anyone who doesn't share you aesthetic preferences with a wave of your hand? They don't think like you so they're not worth considering?

It's fine if you think they're ugly. It's not fine to insult people who don't share you preferences or priorities.

Fair point. I apologize.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Hello All, we at Genelec are absolutely delighted to see the big interest in our new upcoming product. We hope you can attend our global launch event on Tuesday 16th of May to learn about the development, technologies, and opportunities the state-of-the-art professional audio monitoring solution, The Main Ones, represents. All your questions will be answered! See you on Tuesday! https://www.genelec.com/en/-/event/join-our-global-launch-event-1
Will you take questions here?

1. Is the compression tweeter the same as in the S360A?
2. How similar is the coaxial mid to the other Ones mids?
3. Are 5" mids going to be seen in other models?

Sebastiaan de Vries

This is so exciting. Pure speculating, but we finally get the whole thing from Genelec, beam steering from very low to the top end. Integrated with GLM room compensation, this opens many possibilities. I regard it as a similar approach to the Beolab-90 but for a different (pro audio) application with other objectives.

Regarding the looks. I think they look stunning. I don’t live in a trailer, and I have a girlfriend… Speakers (monitors) aren’t musical instruments, and neither are they furniture. I love functionality, and inside the limits of being functional, I think Genelec’s look beautiful in general.

This is the new era of audio. Beam steering and DSP control. I hope this will mitigate to the smaller ones one day. Eventually, we will see beam steering (we already do) as a commodity in consumer audio. Smart speakers, soundbars, etc,

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They need to make a smaller and cheaper version of this
8371 maybe ? lol

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is so exciting. Pure speculating, but we finally get the whole thing from Genelec, beam steering from very low to the top end. Integrated with GLM room compensation, this opens many possibilities. I regard it as a similar approach to the Beolab-90 but for a different (pro audio) application with other objectives.

Regarding the looks. I think they look stunning. I don’t live in a trailer, and I have a girlfriend… Speakers (monitors) aren’t musical instruments, and neither are they furniture. I love functionality, and inside the limits of being functional, I think Genelec’s look beautiful in general.

This is the new era of audio. Beam steering and DSP control. I hope this will mitigate to the smaller ones one day. Eventually, we will see beam steering (we already do) as a commodity in consumer audio. Smart speakers, soundbars, etc,

I also don't get the hate that their looks get , or the Ones or the 8000 series

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Can you tell us the price?
Sir, if you ask the price, you can't afford them :D

I can see one possible area - those studios with now ageing PMC BB5XBD systems (similar size and shape perhaps?) willing to replace and upgrade. maybe one or two pairs will go to wealthy domestic audio geeks with huge rooms to fill, but they're not really for us at all, not really.........

PMC below - 15" bass drivers in this one.

bb5xbd.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

I can see one possible area - those studios with now ageing PMC BB5XBD systems (similar size and shape perhaps?) willing to replace and upgrade. maybe one or two pairs will go to wealthy domestic audio geeks with huge rooms to fill, but they're not really for us at all, not really.........

bb5xbd.jpg
I am not that keen on antiques.
Keith

Pultzar

I am super excited for these speakers and am happy that they aren't being compromised for aesthetic reasons.

I am curious if they will make a flush mounted version or if they have mitigated the need for such a configuration. I was planning on flush mount for my new build, but floor standing speakers would be much easier to implement!

Curvature

Major Contributor
I am super excited for these speakers and am happy that they aren't being compromised for aesthetic reasons.

I am curious if they will make a flush mounted version or if they have mitigated the need for such a configuration. I was planning on flush mount for my new build, but floor standing speakers would be much easier to implement!
This is just a guess.

It looks like the 8381 is two pieces, and the top piece can be installed separately and flush mounted.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I am not that keen on antiques.
Keith
Forgive me, but I don't understand the comment. Is it because they go back thirty plus years making them antiques? I only know the 12" version (MB2 as was) but the BB5 was supposedly incredibly good back then, and in many respects they'd easily beat typical domestic boxes even if response and dispersion patterns aren't as good as modern designs, if perhaps acceptable in a treated mixing or mastering room.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
This is just a guess.

It looks like the 8381 is two pieces, and the top piece can be installed separately and flush mounted.
Do you think They will sell the top piece separately and it could be used without the bottom piece as a standalone monitor ?

dfuller

Major Contributor

bb5xbd.jpg
What I'd be curious about is that those PMC systems are known to go to truly fight-or-flight inducing levels of SPL. Wonder if these Gens can match...

Top Bottom