• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does a small company like Genele can innovate more than the big brands?
like Focal , Kef etc
Innovating is all they do. When they try to make home speakers they tend to falter.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering how those 4 domes work together. If I do a quick sim, it doesn't look too good. You definitely should not have this play over 1 kHz. But given the horn size, one would expect that it could play down to 800 Hz or so.

View attachment 284877
Here is a sim with 4 100mm drivers, about 25 cm apart
As it seems they are crossed lower, namely at 500 Hz:
index.php

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php
So, this is speaker nerd stuff but see the note for the crossover frequency: it's variable based on GLM calibration. Normally your crossover frequencies are fixed to create the smoothest DI for a given acoustical condition (size of woofers, horn characteristics, whatever). This system can actually adjust the crossover frequencies which will presumably alter the directivity response. This is an interesting point of flexibility.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php
Yeah, we have 2 crossover points of what is probably at least a 5-way system, so don't hold your breath ;)

Did a bit more sim-ing, this time I added a midrange in the middle as well. To make them combine properly, I had to time align the middle one by .3 ms, and then I used LR2 crossovers. Turns out I had to cross the middle driver much lower than the outer 4: 500 vs 800 Hz:
1683816796338.png

Ignore anything above say 1.5 kHz, that's just the single middle driver doing its crappy thing.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, we have 2 crossover points of what is probably at least a 5-way system, so don't hold your breath ;)
Yes but probably those 2 fixed ones are the higher ones, thus the one of the coax and the other of the coax to the 4 lower mid drivers.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
How does a small company like Genelec can innovate more than the big brands?
like Focal , Kef etc
Genelec's revenue was €43,9M in 2021, KEF's was €74M in 2021. Both aren't especially small or big. B&W is a lot bigger than both for example. And no innovation from KEF? Have you seen the LS60? KC62?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Genelec's revenue was €43,9M in 2021, KEF's was €74M in 2021. Both aren't especially small or big. B&W is a lot bigger than both for example. And no innovation from KEF? Have you seen the LS60? KC62?
Then why doesn't B&W innovate more ?
They have a lot more R&D budgets

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then why doesn't B&W innovate more ?
They have a lot more R&D budgets
B&W currently innovates more on stuff that sell well to their target audience like new membrane (diamond, "Continuum" etc) and and cabinet materials and constructions, something you also seem to desire. :p

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
if the max SPL of other drivers don't match with the max SPL of comp. driver, what's the point of using a compression driver?
SPL is the only advantage of this driver over the "normal " one?

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m actually a little sad over this new genelec beast mode speaker. I probably will never be able to afford it, even though I’m far from poor.

Top Bottom