• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Scaling the Genelec logo to the W371 makes the 8381 look much bigger, for example with a 14" woofer.

If the size is right the two midrange drivers would both be around 5". It would therefore not make much sense to add the concentric 1" + 5" drivers of The Ones series but I added it anyway on the picture:

genelec-8381.jpg

fineMen

Major Contributor
Scaling the Genelec logo to the W371 ...
Only for the fun of it: the additional drivers are placed left/right from the center line. But also above the bigger speaker, nearly by the same distance. They may be used to narrow the dispersion laterally by as much as the dispersion is narrowed vertically due to the stapled mounting mids above bass. If these little guys are midrange drivers they may act as "filler drivers".

Reddoc

Ok, so now I have to wait for THREE speakers to show up before I commit- the GGNTKT, the Purify active, and now this.
PHEW! And to think I would have bought an 8361 on Saturday had they been in stock!!

ocinn

Only for the fun of it: the additional drivers are placed left/right from the center line. But also above the bigger speaker, nearly by the same distance. They may be used to narrow the dispersion laterally by as much as the dispersion is narrowed vertically due to the stapled mounting mids above bass. If these little guys are midrange drivers they may act as "filler drivers".
I find it incredibly hard to believe that genelec, the company who has spent an incredible amount of R&D time into creating perfect directivity, would sabotage their entire design philosophy with placing (2) drivers, far apart in the horizontal plane, which inherently will cause directitvity errors in the horizontal axis.

I think we should all wait until the official release and their reasoning. But as of right now, the pictures we are given make no sense in creating a high performance speaker. 2 different mid drivers 12” apart from eachother is something I’m used to seeing in 1970-80s “kabuki” style speakers and not performant monitor designs with highly skilled R&D teams behind them.

Penelinfi

If you look closely at the nearest object, it does look more like a piece of plastic due to the centre part having a different finish than the outer area. It seems to be a convex structure. I've not seen any drivers built like that that I can remember

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yawn.
I find it incredibly hard to believe that genelec, the company who has spent an incredible amount of R&D time into creating perfect directivity, would sabotage their entire design philosophy with placing (2) drivers, far apart in the horizontal plane, which inherently will cause directitvity errors in the horizontal axis.

I think we should all wait until the official release and their reasoning. But as of right now, the pictures we are given make no sense in creating a high performance speaker. 2 different mid drivers 12” apart from eachother is something I’m used to seeing in 1970-80s “kabuki” style speakers and not performant monitor designs with highly skilled R&D teams behind them.

I say, bring on the Kabuki speakers! Genelec needs to produce something remotely attractive and compelling enough for people to buy. Currently, their chit is limited to geeks in basements, wannabe recording 'engineers' and actual recording studios. A very small market.

Go mainstream I say!

fineMen

Major Contributor
Not necessarily. It depends on the individual cross over, see the Perlisten approach for a quite successful rendition of an 'interferrence machine'.

wavetransformer

This is pure guess, but maybe if the crossover point between coaxial driver and the 2 mid drivers is around 300hz, the distance between the 2 mids is under the 1/4 of wavelength of the xo frequency, so no lobing error while achieving narrowing horizontal directivity for constant horizontal directivity. And then they hand off lower frequency range to the big front woofer without vertical lobing error due to sufficiently low xo point, which is not possible if it was 3 way system(coaxial+big woofer) without the 2 mid drivers.

Last edited:

mkt

View attachment 284572
Could it be Genelec 8381?
I'm curious what's the use for 2 midwoofers (mids?) so far apart. Or maybe 4 midwoofers surrounding a coaxial unit?
Photoshopped? Or did they already change the filename? I see
1683722702007.png

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

hege

Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Well, that odd picture has done one thing alright - It's got us 'bods' talking about it and building interest (and excitement?) ready for the big day - Job done! :D

gr-e

Where did you that screenshot you took ?
It's It was in the image title.
Photoshopped? Or did they already change the filename? I see
View attachment 284664
Yeah they changed the link. The old image is still available though: http://images.ctfassets.net/4zjnzn0...023_8381_Livestream_invite_WEB_1250x703px.jpg
So that's a coaxial, as the name suggests, maybe with a compression driver this time? Hard to see.
The use of different woofers suggests that it has a system similar to W371 integated.

1683728941174.png

Top Bottom