• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New multibit DAC coming from Schiit -

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Price is less than Yggy (now Yggy OG) which is going up in price and up to 3rd gen analog board by the end of year. Garage Sale Yggy going away, the last the gen 1 boards are expected to sell by the end of the month. Yggy OG will be the current model.

Yggy "less is more" is a 16 bit ti based dac, which some at Schiit think sounds better than:

Yggy "more is less" is a 20 bit ti based dac. Jason claims near -120 db signal to noise, "our best measuring dac we've ever done even though it is a mb product".

Reviewers being 'brought in' for 'double blind tests'

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Dang, I was really hoping that Schiit would release a single chassis DAC/pre. Next gen Yggy, yawn.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So 16 bit sounds better? Wonder why that would be? What is it with going with archaic tech and acting as if this is the dark ages, and we never knew about that stuff until recovering it now?

First thing comes to mind is the original (surely the best as the oldest and most original) DACs in CD players were really 14 bit devices. Maybe 14 bit sounds even better than 16 bit which is better than 20 bit and apparently better than 24 bit DACs.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Double blind testing is obviously a good thing. Though I'm dubious it will be conducted in a statistically defensible manner.

gvl

Major Contributor
The only current 20bit multibit TI chip I see is DAC11001A, spec'd at - 105dB THD, 120 dB SINAD mentioned in the video sounds a bit far fetched, I guess we need to wait and see.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The only current 20bit multibit TI chip I see is DAC11001A, spec'd at - 105dB THD, 120 dB SINAD mentioned in the video sounds a bit far fetched, I guess we need to wait and see.

Jason mentioned 120dB S/N ratio, not SINAD. A device can have 120dB S/N yet have a SINAD of 80dB or so. ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
I was sure some audiophile brand was going to jump on these industrial non-audio chips and claim it makes the best sound ever, just surprised it's Schiit. I hope they did the implementation well or the measurements might show weird things :p

gvl

Major Contributor
I heard that too but he mixed the two together so who knows what the reality is.

He did say it will be the best measuring DAC they made, best multibit or best ever? Not clear. If they hit 100+ dB SINAD and 120db S/R it'll be pretty good.

gvl

Major Contributor
I was sure some audiophile brand was going to jump on these industrial non-audio chips and claim it makes the best sound ever, just surprised it's Schiit. I hope they did the implementation well or the measurements might show weird things :p

The DAC11001A datasheet mentions audio application, if that is the part they are using.

Veri

Master Contributor
The DAC11001A datasheet mentions audio application, if that is the part they are using.
Well sure it can be used for audio but reading the datasheet it's hardly the ideal part to choose, a dedicated D/A-purpose chip would make more sense haha. There's some interesting stuff here https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/349809-dac11001-20-bit-2r-precision-dac.html but the main takeaway is that it would be " fun " to evaluate the device for audio applications :p so uhh, yeah. Maybe Schiit made these for "fun".

>> "To be clear, this device was not designed for audio but rather very high-end test and medical applications".

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When they do the SINAD can not be 120 but S/N ratio but can reach 105 with S/N ratio of 120dB.

Even the Ares II reaches 104 SINAD (on one channel) but has good S/N ratio of 120dB so it's not exceptional.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Based on above, it seems he misspoke: "These new DACs really push the limits of measured multibit performance. "

So he means with respect to multibit DACs which is a low bar.

Leporello

Price is less than Yggy (now Yggy OG) which is going up in price and up to 3rd gen analog board by the end of year. Garage Sale Yggy going away, the last the gen 1 boards are expected to sell by the end of the month. Yggy OG will be the current model.

Yggy "less is more" is a 16 bit ti based dac, which some at Schiit think sounds better than:

Yggy "more is less" is a 20 bit ti based dac. Jason claims near -120 db signal to noise, "our best measuring dac we've ever done even though it is a mb product".

Reviewers being 'brought in' for 'double blind tests'

What audible problem in digital conversion is this thing supposed to solve better than what we currently have?

raif71

Major Contributor
1630140127558.png

Jason reminds me of Bruce Campbell :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What audible problem in digital conversion is this thing supposed to solve better than what we currently have?

The R2R is more organic/analog sounding and of course the new versions are even bettererer and analogererer and smoooother and organistic than those horrible hashy and poor sounding but great performing on measurement gear only DS miserable crappy cheap mass produced chips.
In the end it solves liquidity for Schiit. The sound does not become more liquid but owners might believe it does.

advertising for new models. always a step up.

threni

Major Contributor
Double blind testing is obviously a good thing. Though I'm dubious it will be conducted in a statistically defensible manner.
It's weird that they even bother. When Sony is preparing to launch a new PlayStation do they get in gamers to see if it "seems faster"?

DSJR

Major Contributor
But they appear to sell and Schiit can make more profit from each box, hopefully meaning more research into the proper gear they make now at sensible prices :)

Top Bottom