• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Movies that moved You!

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is no thread about this, so I´ll start - watched this at Berlin International Film Festival,
Ta Farda

This film has no distributor yet, hope it gets one and a worlwide release:

"Fereshteh is studying and works at a printers’ shop in Tehran. She wants to go to the US but is having trouble finding the time for a language course. This is because she also has a two-month-old baby that her parents know nothing about. When they announce at short notice that they are coming to visit, Fereshteh has to find another place for one night for her illegitimate child and everything that would give away her existence. What at first seems resolvable with a phone call to a few friends soon develops into a difficult undertaking. Fereshteh’s quick-witted friend Atefeh offers her support, but their ensuing odyssey through the city only reveals to the pair how limited their options are. In a society that does not grant everyone the same rights, young women have to weigh up carefully who their allies are."

In Iran, there is a very strong tradition in - let's say- ascetic storytelling.
What you see is what you get - no false emotions.
But like in any dictatorship, it´s influence loads the story with strong meanings.
Even in a free society, you feel this. Films like "Ta Farda", "Taste of Cherry" "Taxi Tehran"
are also very good to free your mind from the clicheed images of mass media.
In Ta Farda, the sidekick Atefeh could be the girl next door and the strets
of Tehran resemble Athens or any other South European city.

Tks

Major Contributor
New for me, but not really "new". Brought me back to what I imagined the sort of living my grandparents must've had on some level.

Film is about some guy living up in the mountains in an abandoned village most likely ravaged by some war, and hunts for wolf-pelts that he periodically brings down the mountain to sell to the local village down there.

Cinematography is a masterpiece.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not exactly new, but maybe new to you. In "Happy Times" (aka Happy Times Hotel), a bunch of unemployed dirty old men, who are cronies, lure a beautiful teenage orphan girl who is blind, into renting a "room" in their nonexistent motel. They build a ramshackle makeshift room to trick her. They further trick her into earning "money" to pay for her rent by giving each of them massages, while paying her with blank pieces of paper.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303243/

In "The Flowers Of War", during the war of the Japanese invasion and occupation of Nanking, China, a bunch of prostitutes elbow their way into a shuttered school where a bunch of the schoolgirls are stranded and hiding out from the invaders. A Chinese male soldier and his wounded buddy discover the refuge and also elbow their way in. Already a potential clash of cultures, even before the hostilities of the invaders are included in the picture. A poignant movie, especially in these times of war.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1410063/

I found "Promising Young Woman", which is a fairly recent release, fairly touching, but also disturbing and saddening. I really loved the cutesy ending, though, when Cassie thunders and roars with a premeditated text message on the phone which has a teasing tone, and ends with "Love, Cassie and Nina". You will appreciate the meaning of "premeditated" in this context if you watch the movie.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9620292/

Last edited:
Top Bottom