• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Monitor choice: Neumann’s are driving me crazy!

Pritaudio

I too am considering kh120 with 750sub with ma1 (and maybe 2 stereo subs in the future).
The value proposition of the kh120 is great.
Although they use class ab, and don't have automatic standby mode. so I don't know what sort of life expectancy there is if left on all the time. The energy too (I think its 20w idle).
Are the kh150 class d?
I may just buy an extended 3 warranty for the kh120's. they have 2 years as standard.

price of kh120 may increase to fit Neumanns lineup.
May have to be quick, incase they stop making the kh120's, even if they aren't superseded by kh120 mk2.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
At the risk of sounding stupid...
Smaller monitors = smaller sound
That's just what I experienced... And someone here who upgraded from KH310 to KH420 said that that's the main difference between the two.
So I'd suggest getting the biggest monitors you can

lowkeyoperations

I had Neumann KH120s with an Adam Sub for about 5 years. Upgraded to Amphion One 15s and they were a lot better *for mixes that translated well to other systems*. YMMV.

For nearfield in your setup I’d go with the KH80s plus sub if your stuck on Neumanns.

mulderX

I too am considering kh120 with 750sub with ma1 (and maybe 2 stereo subs in the future).
The value proposition of the kh120 is great.
Although they use class ab, and don't have automatic standby mode. so I don't know what sort of life expectancy there is if left on all the time. The energy too (I think its 20w idle).
Are the kh150 class d?
I may just buy an extended 3 warranty for the kh120's. they have 2 years as standard.

price of kh120 may increase to fit Neumanns lineup.
May have to be quick, incase they stop making the kh120's, even if they aren't superseded by kh120 mk2.
Which of the Neumann has the auto standby?
I'm between 150 and 310. I'll use a minidsp ddrc or shd and I have two dynaudio 9s waiting.

radix

Major Contributor
Which of the Neumann has the auto standby?
I'm between 150 and 310. I'll use a minidsp ddrc or shd and I have two dynaudio 9s waiting.

EDIT: I accidentally gave myself an upgrade. I have the 80s, not 120s.

I have the 80/750 with auto standby. I don't use it. It's too finicky and my speakers would pop on in the middle of the night for no reason, then turn off a bit later.

I now use an auto-switching power strip on my RME ADI-2 FS and it works like a charm. I use the Bits Limited LCG-3MVR power strip with adjustable on/off level. I also use the same strip on my SHD in a different room and it works great there too. I'm not positive about use on the ddrc, as those are really low power draw, but the SHD and RME work well with that power strip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom