• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New MMT from Dennis Murphy with SOTA drivers!

yourmando

Hey who took my dentures and stuck them in a speaker!? Now that speakers have mouths, maybe vocals will sound even sweeter....:D
D5E2987D-14FB-4DBA-8D2C-8B809CF5D9B5.jpeg

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
This presentation on the techonology is interesting

He demos the unsealed version so it’s an open dipole. He passes it around while it’s playing, so it must not be that fragile

View attachment 82395
Thanks for the link. At least we won't have any trouble naming the new speaker. The first one will be Jaws, and then Jaws the Sequel, and Jaws III..... I think it looks better unmounted.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like others have the idea of combining with the Purifi woofers, here in MTM:

View attachment 82394
Am curious to see some detailed angular measurements of such a loudspeaker, such a large protrusion must cause significant several edge diffraction / secondary sound source problems both for the midwoofers and the tweeter itself.

Ericglo

Thanks for the link. At least we won't have any trouble naming the new speaker. The first one will be Jaws, and then Jaws the Sequel, and Jaws III..... I think it looks better unmounted.

Just don't name it after the weaselly mayor Larry Vaughn.;)

What about James Bond's Jaws Richard Kiel? :)

Attachments

• Jaws_james_bond.jpg
    Jaws_james_bond.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 84

A.wayne

For those put off by the price the original Heil drivers are available from ESS in CA very reasonably priced ..

Regards

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
For those put off by the price the original Heil drivers are available from ESS in CA very reasonably priced ..

Regards
Been there. Done that. I mated it with an 8" woofer crossed at 1000 Hz or so. I didn't think I would ever be able to mate it (in dipole operation) with the ported woofer, but it worked out fine in that regard. The vertical dispersion is awfully narrow, though, and the raw response is a mess. It took a ton of components to kind of smooth it out. I'm hoping Jaws is a lot smoother out of the box and doesn't beam as much vertically.
Heil Original AMT.png

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So it has wide horizontal dispersion, but I wonder about vertical dispersion. I guess that depends on how the sound is radiated. If it's channelled through the centre line (highlighted in green), it'd be wide, But if it's radiated along the height of the driver, that's quite like a typical AMT. My confusion stems from how the photos show the centre line of the driver is a different colour (blue) from the rest of the driver, so I was wondering the significance of that.
1599792703480.png

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Lol, the WAF is weak with this one!

Last edited:
OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah, something like $2k in drivers in a Salk Sound enclosure, too rich for my blood! :)
I assume that's for one unit. The total driver cost for a pair will be more like $4,000. But he's going to use cardboard shipping boxes for cabinets to keep the price down. Jim has no pride of workmanship.

yourmando

So it has wide horizontal dispersion, but I wonder about vertical dispersion. I guess that depends on how the sound is radiated. If it's channelled through the centre line (highlighted in green), it'd be wide, But if it's radiated along the height of the driver, that's quite like a typical AMT. My confusion stems from how the photos show the centre line of the driver is a different colour (blue) from the rest of the driver, so I was wondering the significance of that.
View attachment 82461
In the video I linked above, he said that the vertical dispersion is narrow, dictated by the height of the driver. As you say, like a conventional AMT.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Been there. Done that. I mated it with an 8" woofer crossed at 1000 Hz or so. I didn't think I would ever be able to mate it (in dipole operation) with the ported woofer, but it worked out fine in that regard. The vertical dispersion is awfully narrow, though, and the raw response is a mess. It took a ton of components to kind of smooth it out. I'm hoping Jaws is a lot smoother out of the box and doesn't beam as much vertically.View attachment 82459
After all your hard work on it, how did you find the end result (of the AMT)?

digicidal

Major Contributor
I assume that's for one unit. The total driver cost for a pair will be more like $4,000. But he's going to use cardboard shipping boxes for cabinets to keep the price down. Jim has no pride of workmanship.
So he's making the new line for Klipsch? :p Seriously, Jim "slaps together" a cabinet like you do with crossovers. Even though pricey, I still can't figure out how he turns a profit on most of his models.

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
After all your hard work on it, how did you find the end result (of the AMT)?
That was a one-off and I never got to hear it in stereo. From what I heard in mono, it sounded exceptionally clean. The buyer was pretty much thrilled, so at least it wasn't a dog. But I'm not sure I would ever have been happy with the narrow vertical sweet spot. I walk around too much.

Top Bottom