• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New MMT from Dennis Murphy with SOTA drivers!

OP
D

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
The looks are definitely interesting to say the least, but if it sounds good I'm all for it. It's a very interesting design, looking forward to seeing what comes of this. Here's hoping we get some more hard data! (and hopefully some more pleasant conduct as well)
Interesting like a '58 Buick. This is an active design that I didn't participate in. The tip-off is the location of the tweeter in a cow-catcher position. That wouldn't work in a passive design with limited electrical delay capability. I did work up a passive version with the tweeter on top of the cabinet back a few inches to time align with the Purifi's. It also used a conventional, albeit very long and large, port. The verdict was: Purifi's with long port--gooooooooooooooooooood. Air Blade tweeter with current drop-off in response below 2 kHz--needs work. If the Air Blade folks figure out how to damp internal back waves without sacrificing low-end response, it could be killer crossed at 1200 Hz.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stuff nightmares are made of!
883097f1ab4274bd018e90884081077b.jpg

XpanD

Forum Donor
Interesting like a '58 Buick. This is an active design that I didn't participate in. The tip-off is the location of the tweeter in a cow-catcher position. That wouldn't work in a passive design with limited electrical delay capability. I did work up a passive version with the tweeter on top of the cabinet back a few inches to time align with the Purifi's. It also used a conventional, albeit very long and large, port. The verdict was: Purifi's with long port--gooooooooooooooooooood. Air Blade tweeter with current drop-off in response below 2 kHz--needs work. If the Air Blade folks figure out how to damp internal back waves without sacrificing low-end response, it could be killer crossed at 1200 Hz.

I should've probably clarified that I meant the Air Blade driver itself, there -- I'm aware you had nothing to do with that specific speaker design. Thanks for the reply though, that's quite interesting!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Perhaps a change to the thread title is in order? Or is it just a matter of time?...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom