• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mini PC i can recommend

al2002

What can i say, the weakness is strong within me.:cool:

Name and ram, mine has 12GB, this one has 8GB. But i think they all come from the same manufacturer.
Doesn't mean that you get Windows 11 however, if that's important to you.
Yes, one plus (if you consider Win 11 a plus) and one minus. I must say 12 GB is an unusual figure.

Loathecliff

The price is 219€ for me, which i think is ok.
I'm miffed. Showing as €270 minus one cent for me.
Why is this?
I demand answers.
Heads will roll.
Big fan of mini (pref. fanless) pcs.
Using a Celeron 'powered' one from Minisforum to run the media.
Another one before the supply lines totally collapse would seem wise.

Digby

Major Contributor
Big fan of mini (pref. fanless) pcs.
You can use a much more powerful CPU if you go for a fan on the CPU. Fan noise is rarely a problem these days, you can easily run below noisefloor from say 1m away. Fans today are often quieter than HDDs.

A mini PC can be as powerful desktop PC, save the GPU aspect. Wattage at idle will be similar to fanless too.

Fanless is fine, but moving even a tiny amount of air is much more efficient at cooling.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you use pfsense for?

You are recipient of best lucky.
The pfSense box will be replacing an Asus router. The Asus router will only handle 140Mbps through an OpenVPN connection due to limited CPU. I have a 300Mbps connection at the moment, but I'm upgrading to 1Gbps in a couple of months, so I wanted get a more powerful device in place in preparation for the upgrade.

I'll look into implementing stuff like pfBlockerNG (Ad blocking, etc.) and Snort (intrusion detection/prevention) once I have the basic functionality sorted.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a Mele Quieter 2 which is fanless, has a Celeron J4125 Processor, and has a Passmark score around 3000. I'm using it as a HTPC. My principal apps are Netflix desktop, Qobuz, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and Kodi. My player is JRiver. I've been able to set up my apps to run WASAPI Exclusive to JRiver MC28. I've set up the Windows 11 sound card for 5.1 Audio, and set up video for 1080p with a 120hz refresh rate. The Mele does not support 4k or HDR 10 or Dolby Vision, which is its principal shortcoming.

All pc audio is routed to JRiver on the sound card, and two zones have been set up there: One configured for 2 channel playback, and the other one for 5.1 channel playback. Both zones have PEQ for my Ls 50's and LS 50 Metas. The 5.1 zone has a crossover to the sub, and bass management, as well as mulichannel Dirac Live room correction. It outputs 5.1 to my Octo DAC 8 via its ASIO driver. The two channel stereo zone is almost identical except it employs a freeware Linkwitz Riley software based crossover called Dephonica before sending the crossed over high/low passed signal to my 2.1 set up. Dirac Live sees this as a 2.0 set up, and corrects accordingly.

Everything seems to work fine. Picture is great (I was able to set it up to a 120 refresh rate to my LG C1), likewise the sound both for Stereo and home theater. I stream everything, and the Quieter 2 works quietly and perfectly. No stuttering, after some lip sync correction in JRiver, everything is in sync. I also run my Internet via Ethernet connection and regularly get 200 Mbps download speeds. which helps as well. I'm am supposed to be able to run Netflix in theater mode within JRiver, but i can't get it to work in Windows 11, so I've given up for the time being, but everything looks and sounds great as a desktop app.

My biggest complaint, beside no 4K or HDR/DolbyVision support, is Windows related: It incessantly pops up a blurb telling me how wonderful Windows Teams are, and urging me to get started and install the app. After going around the internet for two solid days, I've concluded there's no way to supress this random but incessant pop up. Needless to say, I'm not a Team player.

For right now, this PC is ok. I can run a 5.1 channel home theater for streaming apps. I don't want to mess with physical media anymore, so this fits even though those apps don't offer the highest quality codecs (limited to Dolby Digital Plus, no Dobly True HD for streaming!) Even so it sounds fine.

Ultimately, I might want to switch for a faster computer. I have my eye on a Mac Mini M1, because of the speed, quiet operation, and reasonable price. At this point I'm not sure what it supports: Dolby Vision to external TVs and monitors via HDMI? Don't know. I understand there isn't even a Netflix desktop app. There is a way to kludge a synthetic desktop app to run out of the dock, but will it support 5.1 multichannel and Dolby Vision/HDR 10? Again, dunno.

I am also investigating if there's is any software player which will decode the Netflix Dolby Atmos in either a Windows or an Apple OS. Yes, I know NVidia Shield, Roku, and ATV4K will all send Atmos audio via HDMI bitstream to an ATMOS certified home theater receiver. Don't want any part of that. I want to decode the Dolby Digital bitstream right on the PC (Apple or Windows), apply any PEQ, crossover, bass management right in the player software (a la Roon or JRiver), do a Dirac Live correction of the multichannel stream and send the LPCM via asio driver to my multichannel DAC. Seems like a cheaper, almost as good (maybe better in some respects) version of the Trinov or Storm processors. Just need a piece of software that decodes ATMOS and exports the sound via USB to a dac, and I can make the rest happen.

Last edited:

Nonick

Femove Teams from your Windows11 > Open Powershell and execute:
Get-AppxPackage MicrosoftTeams* | Remove-AppxPackage
Restart.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For myself, the audio dedicated PCs within my listening room should be completely silent, i.e. no fan in switching power supply, no CPU fan, no chassis fan, no spindle HDDs (all of the OS and data in silent SSDs).

Consequently, even though the two audio dedicated completely silent DIY assembled PCs (not mini PCs, though) I use in my audio project are not with the latest CPUs and MBs, they are just more than good and powerful enough in my multichannel multi-driver multi-way multi-amplifier stereo setup.

Both of the PCs now run with Windows 11 Pro through the upgrade from Windows 10 Pro by bypassing/avoiding all of the CPU, RAM, TPM and SecureBoot restrictions using this procedure I shared.

Last edited:

HoJ76

I have tried many laptops, but have not been satisfied with any of them - because of noise. Last week I received an n6005 newsmay, could not be happier. It has Windows 11, uses Roon Core, MiniDsp and Dirac. Everything seems absolutely perfect.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am ashamed to have 3 computers in the house for at least a decade.
One rig is used as the main server for the house (NAS, Audio/Video Library, VidCams, etc).
It feeds the missus' connectivity that needs to be good-looking first and simple-to-use second (an Intel NUC8i5).
That rig also feeds an Intel NUC10i7 used as a 4K content server to a 4K OLED.

Does anyone remember the miniPC "Patriot BoxOffice" or the upgraded "PBO Core"?
That was back when you had to explain to people what the "P" stood for at the end of 1080... (circa 2010??):confused:

I so wish @amirm does some real audio testing on the current crop of gaming-grade MotherBoards and/or miniPCs alike.

My last 3 DIY rigs had (what I consider) 'quality' audio that kept getting better in the next 2 generations. I am due for a new build but lack any good data.
I think one can build a full A/V pre/pro based on the latest Intel/AMD PC, just add few SFF amps and TVs.
Not to try to compete with a modular/plug-in StormAudioISP Core or an AVM Ovation PS8.3 or a Crestron DigitalMedia 8x8 but on the cheap ($2k not $10+k).:cool:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe we do not need any of "(most) advanced" spec PCs for Audio-Visual center use. At the bottom of my post here, you may find my two audio(-visual) PCs. I usually use one of them (the other is just a backup) as "audio dedicated center", but if needed I can use it anytime as "audio-Visual-TV center" for which I wrote here. You can use 4K OLED big TV as PC monitor in such a case.

Last edited:
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a real cool and powerful AMD miniPC but its naturally a bit pricey, considering the specs:

BTW, did you get one of those? I have a certain need for a PC that can do PS2 and maybe even XBox emulation. A RPi4 isn't going to cut it, i'm afraid.
6265ef680a650fb6306457d3bdec02e7ea6de0b4ef8e59b3968d31744f632469.jpeg

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
go for the xbox series s, it's vy far the cheapest option

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand, do you mean to use the Xbox Series S to emulate the Xbox?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
yes
not too sure about xbox specificaly, but it emulates almost everything elae with ease

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see.
Need to look up if my XBox One X is any good for emulation.

To be honest, i never thought about not using a RPi for emulation. :D

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just opted to stick with the ThinkPads, a like new T470s 7th gen i7, 500GB nvme m.2 ssd replacing an X220, upgraded to 20GB RAM, less than $250 all in. It seemed a better value than a NUC w/comparable spec. No fan noise.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As an update. The Mele Quieter 2 died after one month. In that interval, they introduced the Quieter 3 which used the J5105 processor. It is now able to render 4K HDR, so I use it for Windows 11 desktop apps like Netflix which run at 23.98 fps. Used this way, it runs flawlessly: No skips, no lip sync, gorgeous 4k HDR picture with perfect lip sync even running Dirac Live on JRiver MC 30+bass mgt+ 5.1 channel DD+Peq out to my Octo DAC 8. So a perfect solution for anyone who just streams video and audio and relies on a PC for all the processing. Snappy as a browser as well. $260 on Amazon for the 256Gb disk, and 8GB DDR4 memory. There are periodically $40 discount coupons. I spend an extra $32 and dropped an NVMe drive in and made it my boot drive.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
23.98 FPS seems so low. Is 4K at a low frame rate the norm these days?
That's the native frame rate for 99% of Netflix material, so I'm happy to live with it. Just means YouTube material may be compromised. Again, I'll gladly live with it. Netflix does look great, btw.

Top Bottom