• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New mini PC i can recommend

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How noisy is this one @TheBatsEar?
Didn't hear a thing using Linux. Now that Windows is doing it's upgrade it's whirring away for a few seconds, then turns off and so on. I'll give you another statement once the updates are done.

I would say not much thought has gone into noise reduction. I'll just remove the top and use cable ties to add a slow RPM fan if it starts to annoy me.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering this model. All models from this brand include DP.

I'm also considering to build something around this barebone, or another similar one. I built another one for my wife based on this other one, with a Noctua slim CPU fan is almost completely silent.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The model was on my wish list, but I need one with Display Port.

How noisy is this one @TheBatsEar?
After the updates are done, it's as silent as Linux.
Played a 4k file, no fan.

If the fan comes on, you can hear it.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also, it shows the version as activated, but it has neither a digital license in the firmware nor a product key. Means it can't be activated. They sold me a pirated Windows 11 Pro.
I believe that MS has been moving more and more to a digital fingerprinting method for activation rather than storing the license on the TPM module, as it was a method for people to get around activation with a local KMS server or something like that.

If you want more detailed info about your activation, check these links for running a built in command.
advanced: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/activation-slmgr-vbs-options
simplified: https://www.lifewire.com/slmgr-command-4684499
TLDR: slmgr /dlv at the command prompt

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want more detailed info about your activation, check these links for running a built in command.
advanced: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/activation-slmgr-vbs-options
simplified: https://www.lifewire.com/slmgr-command-4684499
TLDR: slmgr /dlv at the command prompt
Cheers.
I tried slmgr /dlv:
PXL_20220421_192913341.jpg

Doesn't matter, it will not be used, i'm a KDE type of chump.

Usually passive cables that cheap are from DP to HDMI. AFAIK, HDMI to DP requires some active electronics, with USB to power them usually. I have one, and it works, but not flawlessly.
Something to keep in mind then. Was lucky so far and didn't need any adapters.

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
beware, most of those no-name chinese boxes only do 4k30 - hdmi 1.4 (remember reading you had a 4k tv, so i'd think you would want 60hz)

i had an older NUC that couldn't do it by itsef but had an add-on chip, interestignly enough a poor celeron could do 4k60 x265 10bit video without any massive hickups :O

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs says it's supported as long as you do hardware decoding. If the codec is not supported or the player is dumb, all bets are off.

1650577064724.png

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not any TV port understands 4k60, it seems. My TV seems to understand 4k60 on HDMI 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. That took me some time to figure out.

I quickly installed a GUI (tasksel install kde-desktop, this was a "server" before, no GUI needed), started the GUI login manager with systemctl start sddm and have played 4k content using VLC without problems. Since i don't have much 4k content, i'll leave it at 1080p for now, should be easier for Retroarch. If i need 4k, i can switch in a few seconds.

So far i can recommend this thing for 220€ :cool:.

Dude, the state of that mess :oops:. What is worse is the hole in the back of cabinet. You need to make friends with someone who has a drill with circular attachment.
I couldn't sleep because of the shame. So i have cleaned it up:
PXL_20220423_104901867.jpg

Didn't look that bad from the outside anyway:
PXL_20220423_105558824.jpg

I even installed that white cable tunnel i had in a drawer for what seems to be a year or so :)

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Ah, that's better. I must say, it is a very attractive room. OK, the mess way out of sight, but now it is out of mind too - just think of it as the icing on the cake ;).

Digby

Major Contributor
It get's awfully stuffy in there with 1 laptop, 10x 16TB disks and all that other instrumentation.
I guess all those disks are running from a USB hub. Do you (or anyone) have thoughts on USB hubs? Do you just buy cheap ones and deal with failures/dropouts if they occur or do you spend money on a decent hub.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess all those disks are running from a USB hub. Do you (or anyone) have thoughts on USB hubs? Do you just buy cheap ones and deal with failures/dropouts if they occur or do you spend money on a decent hub.
Nope, it just uses two USB3 ports on my notebook/server:
  1. First USB3 => 4 bay enclosure A => 1 bay enclosure A
  2. Second USB3 => 4 bay enclosure B => 1 bay enclosure B
The 4 bay enclosures have a port for another USB3 device, it's like a builtin USB hub.

The 1 bay enclosures aren't connected all the time, they contain archives and backups and parity files only. They also have a builtin hub:

First i tried a RPi4/8GB. It would hang every night, when the cron jobs run. Eventually i found out that the cronjobs caused IO operations, those get thrown into a queue. Hammer the disks with enough IO and their answers take more time to come back. Eventually a timer runs out, saying the USB3 device doesn't react fast enough, it needs to be resetted. That then is the end of it, the RPi server hangs.
I didn't have the same problem with the x230 as a server.

Now i have this new server. I have this new problem that, if the disks gets spun down after a few minutes and there is IO so they have to spin up again, all IO on all USB attached disks waits.
This wasn't a problem with x230. Turns out the x230 has two independent USB3 bridges to the PCIe bus, this device does not.

All in all, USB3 is troublesome. If money isn't a problem, don't use USB to attach large amounts of storage.;)

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A man of your calibre TBE, & you've given in to a tidy monitor :facepalm::rolleyes:
What can i say, the weakness is strong within me.:cool:

Name and ram, mine has 12GB, this one has 8GB. But i think they all come from the same manufacturer.
Doesn't mean that you get Windows 11 however, if that's important to you.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a small PC 'router box' to run pfSense recently. I paid £169 for the N5105 version of this (with no RAM or storage)...

Product Highlight
-4x Intel i225-V B3 2.5G RJ45 LANs, 2xUSB3.0.
-2x DDR4 SODIMM non-ecc ram slot, max support 64GB.
-Support two storage: 1xM.2 NVMe/PCIe3.0x2 2280 SSD+1x2.5''SATA SSD/HDD.
-1xHDMI2.0 support 4K@60Hz UHD video display.
-1xSIM slot, 1xMPCIE wireless slot, support WiFi/3G/4G(3 choose 1) connection.
-Support AES-NI, ESXI, PVE, Watchdog, Auto power on, RTC, PXE boot, Wake-on-LAN etc.
-Full Aluminum Alloy high quality solid-built shell with three-sided ice thorns, excellent cooling performance, Exquisite production craft on outside design.
-Fanless system without cooling fan, noiselessness and durability fit for industrial grade field, work as long as 7x24 hours.
-Low consumption TDP only 10/15W and can be mounted back of monitor by VESA bracket(optional).

It took a couple of weeks to arrive in the UK from China (I didn't get hit with any duty)

The N5105 is around a 33% faster than the older J4125 in the OPs box (but consumes the same amount of power):

The PC is in a very nice, passively cooled case (mine is silver)...

1651232610143.png

I added 8GB of Crucial RAM (£22) and a 250GB Kioxia NVMe drive (£27), so total cost was £218.

Shadrach

I've had this one for over a year now. It's my everyday computer. Nothing to complain about once Windows is removed. I run Puppy Linux Bionic on it. The burst mode is quite effective as long as the task doesn't take long.
With Puppy Linux it loads a full 1 TB WD Elements remote hard drive in under 12 seconds.

I've had this for a few weeks.
I've got Linux Mate running on it. About 16 seconds to load a 1 TB remote hard drive.

Both are fanless.
Both come with a EMMC chip.
Both can be upgraded with an SSD card.

For playing audio files you need a fraction of the processor capability these machines have.
If you are doing heavyweight DSP on the computer you may need one of the more powerful models.
P4290976.JPG
P4290977.JPG

Shadrach

Buy one with it's own independant power source.
The USB only powered hubs can have difficulties supply above 3.5 Volts. Some kit needs 5 Volts.

Top Bottom