• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Mesanovic CDM65 monitors

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Damn nice. That looks like a sb26adc tweeter in a custom waveguide and a sb15nbac midwoofer paired with.. maybe Dayton? subwoofers I’m not sure. Either way, what a speaker. Just need to sort out that midrange compression, which I’m sure they will. (And I believe they have at time of writing?)

Hiten

thanks for the review.
A newbie little offtopic post.
Isn't compression related to the design of speaker drivers. The more drivers able to handle power the less sensitive (or sometimes effecient) they become ? Due to large coil, stiff cones and powerfull magnet ?
regards.

deni

Audio Company
Damn nice. That looks like a sb26adc tweeter in a custom waveguide and a sb15nbac midwoofer paired with.. maybe Dayton? subwoofers I’m not sure. Either way, what a speaker. Just need to sort out that midrange compression, which I’m sure they will. (And I believe they have at time of writing?)
Correct. We have updated the limiter settings since Erin did his review which he also states. They were far too aggressive. Attached below is an up to date compression chart conducted and formatted in the same way as EAC.
Mesanovic-CDM65-Compression-Test.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@deni why was the step response was not optimized? I understand it should be doable in DSP. Is there any drawback (other than latency) that I am not aware of?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is nice to see the distortion is so low, the drivers are just too good in distortion, but directivity up high is very hard to tame.......

One weird thing I notice is that cardioid mode has better 2nd order distortion than normal mode. How come it is like this? What are the side woofers doing when they are in normal mode?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As I understand the more power a driver can handle the more sensitive it is. At least that's how it's with pro sub drivers.
Eh, no. Sensitivity and power handling have no correlation. In fact with subs, you need more power handling if the sensitivity is low: you’ll need more power to reach the same excursion.

Last edited:
OP
S

samysound

It is nice to see the distortion is so low, the drivers are just too good in distortion, but directivity up high is very hard to tame.......

One weird thing I notice is that cardioid mode has better 2nd order distortion than normal mode. How come it is like this? What are the side woofers doing when they are in normal mode?
the distortion graphs dont show the fundamental but based on the linearity charts, there is some limiting kicking in at 96db. perhaps distortion looks good because the high and low frequency are limited?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Kii does too, and last I checked it also has somewhat increased distortion vs a standard speaker.

Kii runs down to 20Hz, and has 2 more woofers in a similarly compact standmount format. Could be higher excursion, arising from aggressive bass boosting and lower bass extension. The internal air pressure on the Kii can't be helping.

3125b

Major Contributor
though 6 mm xmax isn't great.
This design doesn't seem to push that though, in a sealed box two of those drivers should be able to achieve 99dB @50Hz, we see ~93dB here.
Other than that, I'm sure the designers chose fitting drivers for the application, who else is to say. They have a rubber surround and overload protection, so I don't see longevity being an issue.

jaakkopetteri

It's a bit more involved than that. The response of the side woofers needs to be delayed and shaped to get good attenuation. These two variables can be tweaked and adjusted in endless ways as you can imagine, thus giving you control over how much attenuation and where you want it to happen
Thanks a lot! As I'm interested in making some cardioid speakers of my own, I guess my real question is how difficult it is to achieve a decent cardioid response for your configuration - are FIR filters required?

Not sure if I'm reading the graphs correctly, but there seems to be a fair amount of rear radiation between 300-1000Hz (compared to 8c or Three). I'm curious whether this is a significant difference and if it's an intentional compromise or inherent to side-mounting the subs? Then again, I guess side-mounting isn't much different than a resistance enclosure

deni

Audio Company
Thanks a lot! As I'm interested in making some cardioid speakers of my own, I guess my real question is how difficult it is to achieve a decent cardioid response for your configuration - are FIR filters required?

Not sure if I'm reading the graphs correctly, but there seems to be a fair amount of rear radiation between 300-1000Hz (compared to 8c or Three). I'm curious whether this is a significant difference and if it's an intentional compromise or inherent to side-mounting the subs? Then again, I guess side-mounting isn't much different than a resistance enclosure
No, FIR filters are not required to achieve attenuation on the sides and rear.

deni

Audio Company
I've had a few questions about stands for the CDM65. Below is a picture on a Monoprice stand. The cabinet base is 8"x14" so there are plenty of stands that should work well. The Monoprice top plate is a bit on the smaller side, but also easy to modify with your own top plate if you'd like.

CDM65-1.jpg

dkalsi

What a beautiful speaker, and measurements to match!

I’ve been wanting to try and build an active speaker. Just something basic with fusion plate amp - not chasing cardiod yet.

My question is - when I read the reviews of various DACs on this website - there are some that are amazing, and some that are in the middle of the road.

I’m guessing with these types of active speakers (with DSP+crossovers, etc). - is one really going from an digital signal (say from a streamer), to their favorite external DAC (to convert to analog), and then the analog signal is again converted to digital for speaker’s internal DSP/crossover processing, and then again converted to analog before amp-stage? Am I thinking about this wrong? I guess one can always go with a digital signal straight into the speaker - and then simply use the DAC included in the plate amp.

I wonder if the internal DAC is a good as some current external options - and even if it’s really not state of the art, can you really hear the difference?

ririt

Review by @hardisj :
View attachment 251210
View attachment 251211

That's exactly the same used by Buchardt and System Audio. As far as I can tell: reliability is just not there (already had to swap two in less than two years. I doubt @muslhead would disagree). About the Platin's Stereo Hub, then... no words. Just a piece of software garbage.

... Or ugly Buchardt A500s? :p
Vintage Flanker, do you mean that you had to exchange the internal amps twice in less than 2 years? If so, there si a clear reliability issue!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vintage Flanker, do you mean that you had to exchange the internal amps twice in less than 2 years?
Exactly what that means! I'm sure @muslhead can confirm the same experience...
If so, there si a clear reliability issue!
There absolutely is. Or at least, was. I know for sure that Buchardt did have a hard time dealing with Platin's issues (both amp/WISA backplates and Stereo Hub). But if they would have chose custom-made electronics (WISA/DSP/DAC/Amp), it would have ask way more important development and costs.

Top Bottom