• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

mpickup

Hello all. New member from Northern California. I do not have an engineering background or any technical expertise but I am interested in learning more about the science of acoustic reproduction.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Many of us were exactly where you are. (In audio I mean...not Northern CA...:cool:)
Welcome...this is the best place to learn you'll find on this subject.

OP
M

mpickup

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I have been in the hobby for over a decade and do read John Atkinson's bench measurements in Stereophile. I also read alot of subjective reviews but increasingly cannot abide the purple prose and manifest absurdities therein. Consequently, I'm conversant with the basic outline of the hobby and know all the common terms. But I want to get beyond(even if just a bit) the superficial shop talk and jargon.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I have been in the hobby for over a decade and do read John Atkinson's bench measurements in Stereophile. I also read alot of subjective reviews but increasingly cannot abide the purple prose and manifest absurdities therein. Consequently, I'm conversant with the basic outline of the hobby and know all the common terms. But I want to get beyond(even if just a bit) the superficial shop talk and jargon.
Did you hang around the website before joining or find it and then join quickly?

OP
M

mpickup

I've been reading it for about three or four months -- found it on Reddit Audiophile sub.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been reading it for about three or four months -- found it on Reddit Audiophile sub.
I was Google searching some sort of thing and found a unrelated link to ASR and I read a ASR review and voila I realized this website is for me. I joined immediately. There's some very interesting stuff here sometimes.

OP
M

mpickup

Yes , I agree . This site, Audioholics and Audiophile Style (hate the rename) are three contrarian voices in a sea of impressionistic puff pieces. I have no problem with a well written, passionate subjective reviews but most are just heaps of cliches and Boomer-era audiophile mythology.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never been to Audioholics and Audiophile Style so I don't have firsthand experience but I can understand disliking the fluff writing that is so common with audiophile articles.

Top Bottom