• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WesParker

Introducing myself here, feels weird to just post a question without an introduction.

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time. I enjoy reading the reviews and input/banter. Most of the underlying belief system here fits my general feelings about the audiophile world.

My needs are pretty simple when it comes to audio (I probably spend more time reading about it than I do listening) so I've been downsizing my system in order to increase the WAF so that I can get back into listening more.

Most of my previous equipment have been of varying vintages of gear purchased used (because i'm cheap) and have included the following.
Harmon Kardon receivers, a Yamaha integrated (A1020), and a Marantz separates system based on the Model 250 and a 3200 preamp (purchased before the prices skyrocketed) for amplification, and vintage Infinity (2000A), Polk (older RTI series), JBL Studio series, and DCM Time Windows for speakers.

My downsizing efforts have lead me to the following setup:

Vanatoo T1E Powered bookshelf
Fluance RT-85 Turntable (Cambridge DUO preamp)
FireTV audio streamer.

It has served me well over the past few months. I"m not sure how I like it compared to using larger speakers/more amplification, but with my current non-bachelor status, smaller speakers I can have in the living area is better than big speakers that I can not.

Tks

Major Contributor

giphy.gif

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Good choice. Do you have the latest firmware version? They've taken it from really good to really, really good.

Reactions: Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Good choice. Do you have the latest firmware version? They've taken it from really good to really, really good.

O_O I gotta check that out!
Any idea if it's on the site?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

I don't know, but they sent it to me via email. Drop them a line requesting it and I'll bet you'll get it quickly.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most of my previous equipment have been of varying vintages ...DCM Time Windows for speakers.
Time Windows were very respectable speakers back in the '70s. I imagine they would hold up pretty well today.

OP
W

WesParker

I don't know, but they sent it to me via email. Drop them a line requesting it and I'll bet you'll get it quickly.

Yes, I emailed them and they sent me the newest version. I haven't tried to A/B test them, but new subwoofer control is very useful to me, so no matter what the newer version is an improvement for me. Also, Gary was great to talk to, I would recommend the speakers whole heartedly now that i've had them for a month or so.

Now that I've been using Amazon Music HD, i'm not totally sold on the whole vinyl thing, but it was a means to get back to listening to music more and my friends are impressed when they get to spin a record.

OP
W

WesParker

Time Windows were very respectable speakers back in the '70s. I imagine they would hold up pretty well today.

I did enjoy them, but my pair was pretty rough ( I do believe all the drivers worked). I ended up with them because I bought them packaged with an Adcom GFA-535 (Nelson Pass designed IIRC). I ended up pretty much giving the Time Windows away in a yard sale last year. I'm sure the guy was on whatever forum he uses the next day talking about the great deal he got from some schmuck in his neighborhood.

OP
W

WesParker

Downsizing? Lately, only my bank account...

Welcome anyway! - Don

There was certainly some of that, spending $1k to get back to the similar sound quality of equipment that I already had just to increase the WAF was pretty painful. But I'm happy with it now that it's over.

The Vanatoo's really are amazing for what you get though. Sound great without a subwoofer (I keep it in the closet when i'm not alone) and really come to life with it.

Only difference for me is without sub I have to give the bass "knob" a 2-3 clicks up from flat to make them sound "full." With the Sub, I do 1 click and turn the sub down 2 clicks (my sub doesn't have volume control, an old Polk PSW-650)

OP
W

WesParker

I definitely suggest getting the update.

Improves a little "shrillness" experienced. Also adds new features like subwoofer volume control (using fn1 button on remote), and a bug fix where apparently the bass/treble controls were not saved after a power off so would have to be reset. At this point, I pretty much always reset them every time I turn on the system just for peace of mind.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yes, I emailed them and they sent me the newest version. I haven't tried to A/B test them, but new subwoofer control is very useful to me, so no matter what the newer version is an improvement for me. Also, Gary was great to talk to, I would recommend the speakers whole heartedly now that i've had them for a month or so.

Yeah, Gary and Rick are terrific. Love their products, and it’s fun to see my entire lab system be an iPhone, a dongle, and a pair of T1Es.

Top Bottom