• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member with new gear. What now?

OP
NicksDad

NicksDad

Or maybe you could use this.

This is brilliant! Thanks!

OP
NicksDad

NicksDad

I got one these streamers used and love it. I'm using Qobuz as there content is CD quality and sounds like it. Probably best 300 bucks ever spent on gear.
That's nifty, and it would be another piece of Yamaha gear. :)

LouB

That's nifty, and it would be another piece of Yamaha gear. :)
If you've never used streaming before it's really a great way to go. I recently got into it & started with Amazon prime stream but there music quality and app functions are horrible (what should expect for free). I'm now paying about 12 bucks a month for CD quality bits & my playlists/albums are up to about 100 hours & growing.

OP
NicksDad

NicksDad

If you've never used streaming before it's really a great way to go. I recently got into it & started with Amazon prime stream but there music quality and app functions are horrible (what should expect for free). I'm now paying about 12 bucks a month for CD quality bits & my playlists/albums are up to about 100 hours & growing.
I’m paying monthly for Apple Music and have a library and playlists built out. The Apple TV streams directly from Apple Music (nothing passes through my phone), so I guess it would be roughly equivalent to other streaming platforms, with maybe differences in real or perceived audio quality?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Peachtree Nova
Yamaha A-S501

JSmith

LouB

I’m paying monthly for Apple Music and have a library and playlists built out. The Apple TV streams directly from Apple Music (nothing passes through my phone), so I guess it would be roughly equivalent to other streaming platforms, with maybe differences in real or perceived audio quality?
Cool, I belive both Apple & Qobuz are losselis bits so they should sound exactly the same.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I did some reading up on Apple TV.

Firstly, conversion to 24/48 happens in the Apple TV. All output from it is in 24/48. Apple Music on the AppleTV comes in at 16/44.1 - no high resolution - if you are concerned about this you’ll need to switch to an iPad as the device for streaming, but let’s not worry.

I can’t find an EQ app for AppleTV.

miniDSP have a device to pair with AppleTY 4th gen, called nanoAVR DL. I’ve not checked the price but it will be over your budget. On the other hand it is designed to be used in your system and with Dirac should be easy to implement and runs with any TV apps you use. It’s also a gateway to adding additional channels later if you want to go that way.

There are threads here about using other miniDSP products with AppleTV.. Google DSP for AppleTV and those threads are early hits along with the nanoAVR DL, So you have some reading to do, I guess.

While Apple are reportedly adding “a DSP” to AppleTV don’t get excited. In this case it stands for Demand Side Platform- for serving you ads.

A lot of the solutions here don’t support Apple Music, watch for that.

Capitol C

You already got a quiet decent system. You can do better, but the question is, is it needed.

The (relative) weak point in your setup is the amp (and build in dac). Not that the yamaha is really bad, but it can be done much better for not so much money also. Some will also bring the lack of dsp into play, but that is something complex that most don't want to bother.

But if you do, replace the amp with a high rated amp (ncore or purifi based is good, but there is more) and a dac with dsp (like the minidsp flex) with room correction. That may make a difference but can cost a few thousands. So it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

But again, you got a quiet decent system toghetter, so if it fits your need, no need to upgrade.You already got a quiet decent system. You can do better, but the question is, is it needed.
The (relative) weak point in your setup is the amp (and build in dac). Not that the yamaha is really bad, but it can be done much better for not so much money also. Some will also bring the lack of dsp into play, but that is something complex that most don't want to bother.

But if you do, replace the amp with a high rated amp (ncore or purifi based is good, but there is more) and a dac with dsp (like the minidsp flex) with room correction. That may make a difference but can cost a few thousands. So it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

But again, you got a quiet decent system toghetter, so if it fits your need, no need to upgrade.
I'm not sure that replacing the Yamaha will do much of anything. The Wharfdales are pretty efficient, so you won't benefit from more power. It is easy for fans of this site (call me a super fan) to look at the Amir's SINAD master plot and say "I need to get further left", but given the distortion present in even very good speakers like yours, I think the Yamaha vs the "farthest to the left on the graph) amp will not sound any different. The same reasoning applies to the built-in DAC, by the way. So I'd enjoy the music and leave very good alone!

OP
NicksDad

NicksDad

I did some reading up on Apple TV.

Firstly, conversion to 24/48 happens in the Apple TV. All output from it is in 24/48. Apple Music on the AppleTV comes in at 16/44.1 - no high resolution - if you are concerned about this you’ll need to switch to an iPad as the device for streaming, but let’s not worry.

I can’t find an EQ app for AppleTV.

miniDSP have a device to pair with AppleTY 4th gen, called nanoAVR DL. I’ve not checked the price but it will be over your budget. On the other hand it is designed to be used in your system and with Dirac should be easy to implement and runs with any TV apps you use. It’s also a gateway to adding additional channels later if you want to go that way.

There are threads here about using other miniDSP products with AppleTV.. Google DSP for AppleTV and those threads are early hits along with the nanoAVR DL, So you have some reading to do, I guess.

While Apple are reportedly adding “a DSP” to AppleTV don’t get excited. In this case it stands for Demand Side Platform- for serving you ads.

A lot of the solutions here don’t support Apple Music, watch for that.
Thanks for all that. I've known for a while that Apple Music delivery isn't the pinnacle of purity, but the good news is I really can't hear the difference between CD- and higher-than-CD quality (or at least not easily). Probably has to do with my age. Last month I started a trial of Amazon Music HD and I think (maybe?) it sounded ever so slightly better than Apple Music. But I didn't arrive at that decision until after A/B-ing the same 20 second clip about a dozen times over.

I'll keep my eyes (and ears) open for any products that can provide a noticeable improvement, though, and I'm still interested in miniDSP since I've heard the difference active EQ can make in a car.

OP
NicksDad

NicksDad

I'm not sure that replacing the Yamaha will do much of anything. The Wharfdales are pretty efficient, so you won't benefit from more power. It is easy for fans of this site (call me a super fan) to look at the Amir's SINAD master plot and say "I need to get further left", but given the distortion present in even very good speakers like yours, I think the Yamaha vs the "farthest to the left on the graph) amp will not sound any different. The same reasoning applies to the built-in DAC, by the way. So I'd enjoy the music and leave very good alone!
My wife is fond of telling me "great is the enemy of good" and your comments remind me of that. I've been enjoying my stereo for the past few hours. Looking for ways to super-enjoy them may be a fools errand.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'll echo the comments about getting a UMIK-1 and REW if you have a laptop or computer in the space of your system — do it. However, I will also say this is the red pill that leads down the rabbit hole. Once you can measure your system and speaker's in your room and instantly see the results, it's all over. You'll then be curious what's good and bad about your measurement. Then you'll learn that you can affect that measurement by moving/changing your speakers, applying DSP, or (gasp) adding subs, room treatments, or taking other measures... that's the rabbit hole. The abilily to instantly measure the changes you make, and also the ability to use that data to get feedback from others changes everything.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
My wife is fond of telling me "great is the enemy of good" and your comments remind me of that. I've been enjoying my stereo for the past few hours. Looking for ways to super-enjoy them may be a fools errand.
True. Even if the DAC you are using is poor, you’re enjoying the music and listening a lot which is the aim of the process.

Real world upgrading is about either a meaningful improvement to the sound or adding capabilities. The meaningful improvements come from compensating for room related issues. This covers furnishing type changes such as rugs, curtains, better speaker placement ( which can mean changing the rest of the room around): proper room treatments, and system EQ and bass management using subwoofers. Subwoofers also allow for deeper bass and so add capability - so can main speakers with more bass output, but that way lies more expenditure and it’s hit and miss.

Immersive surround is also a place to look for improvement according to “the science”. You should audition surround to see if it is somewhere for you to go.

More capability also can be a better interface to stream the music, for example better ergonomics or search.

Beyond those areas, component matching (is the amp really providing enough power?) are the things that might concern you.

There’s little to be gained outside of these areas, they are where to look.

Top Bottom